Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / wps and pqr on one document
- - By Daon (*) Date 08-13-2002 04:50
I prepared for a specific weldment, the PQR and WPS on one document, figuring to "save" needless paper.
I got repercussions as if I caused a bridge to collapse, with the customer not letting me start welding until I had two seperate forms.
Annex E, nonmadatory, requires either/or (not and).
Any one comment??
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 08-13-2002 11:58
WPS and PQR are kind of like which came first? The "Chicken or the Egg".

There is no need to write a WPS on a seperate form unless you intend to do things like combine WPSs or back it by more than one PQR.

There are reasons and places for seperating them, but in a straight forward application they are essentialy the same thing. The difference being in Nonessential Variables.

Parent - By Daon (*) Date 08-13-2002 15:07
thanks
after doing this for a couple of decades with never a complaint, I thought I was losing it. I just needed some reassurance.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-13-2002 13:19
I have always written PQRs and WPSs seperately only because that's the way most people like to see them. I personally don't see why you couldn't combine them. The only problem would be that we try to run PQRs at one set of parameters while the WPSs allows a range. But you can modify the form a bit since Annex E only recommends using those forms or similar forms prepared by the user. To me, there is a lot of latitude there.
I have a whole "cookbook" of WPSs that are essentially the same but the approving engineer wanted the information presented differently. It usually doesn't do any good to say the WPSs are intended as work instructions for the welder and changing format only causes confusion on the production floor. However, as the saying goes, "the customer is always right". If we want approval, we have to do it their way.
Have fun,
CHGuilford
Parent - By Daon (*) Date 08-13-2002 15:06
thanks, that was the golden rule.
Parent - - By wesley (*) Date 08-13-2002 23:38
Well people, I guess that I have been doing it wrong all these years, and you can tell that ya'll have never been to court to explain your justification for your WPS which contains your signature. To me, they are two seperate documents. The PQR is your documentation of your test proceidures and the results obtained from that prociedure. This is usually filed away in the filing cabinet to collect dust. The WPS is what the welder reads and is to be adheared too. If you ever have to explain your WPS due to weld failure, I trust that you have plenty of PQR's to support your variables on your WPS. C. H. the eng. was correct, but then again, I could be wrong because I believe the Rooster was first, the Hen second and then of course the egg. Thanks, P.S. Oh and Daon, it's a paper world.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 08-14-2002 12:31
I read back over all the post and I dont see where any thing was said about any one being wrong!

But I belive you may be stretching a point. I do belive I read in sect IX where it states you are not required to use there suggested forms, rather you are free to make up you own format if you desire.

So I guess that the silly folks at little companys like Seimens Westinghouse are all wrong with WPS(s).

I know they been to court a few times on both sides of the ocean, but we still use them.

Okay if your so sure the Rooster came first then maybe you can help me with another problem. I wasnt there so I cant argue.

Did Adam & Eve have belly buttons?
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-14-2002 12:11
When you get down to the brass tacks of the matter, the PQR is a record of the exact parameters used to weld the test plate that was physically tested to qualify the procedure.
The WPS should specify the tolerance range above and/or below these parameters allowed by the applicable code, and technique instructions to help the welder duplicate qualified weldments.
I'm sure the information could be recorded on one long form, but it would still have to be separated for the welder's sake and for an inspector's sake whose job is to verify the accuracy of the WPS.

Tim
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-14-2002 13:34
I think the main points made here are 1) Annex E allows flexibility in the actual paperwork as long as essential information is there. 2) Usually the WPS and supporting WPQR are separate documents, but they don't have to be if all concerned parties are agreeable and understand the purpose of the documentation. 3) It is not uncommon for the customer to require paperwork to be in a format that is easier for them to evaluate but different from our normal methods. 4) No one said anyone was wrong; merely that there are many ways to do the same thing.
CHGuilford
Parent - By Daon (*) Date 08-14-2002 15:06
I agree.
As I said, this a specific weldment (GMAW-TIME), with NO leeway as far as changing parameters.
However, the customer wants documents that he is familiar, with so I went and made the required revisions.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / wps and pqr on one document