Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 - D1.5 welder qualification
- - By GF51 Date 07-05-2010 19:36
can anyone tell me the difference between these two qualification tests? I do not have a D1.5 code book.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-05-2010 21:08
GF51,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!  Lots to glean here and opportunities to share your own knowledge, wisdom, experiences, and skills with others.

Now, right off hand, NO.  Bridge work is not in my area.  I can tell you there are differences and you should be able to use the 'Search' function to find past posts on this topic.

I am sure some of the other guys will chime in though to help.

You might expand a little before they get in here:

Are you the testee or the testor?
What process?
What material?

That should get the ball rolling.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By GF51 Date 07-06-2010 00:33
process is SMAW, material is A36, limited thickness plate. V groove with backing plate.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 07-05-2010 21:30 Edited 07-06-2010 09:13
GF51
First Welcome to the Forum.
AWS D1.5 allows for the use of hand tools for cleaning only no power grinders or brushes, The test plates will not be moved till completed and verified, and I am sure I am forgetting something else.
Again Welcome to The American Welding Society Online Forum.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - By Len Andersen (***) Date 07-07-2010 14:26
Ladies and Gentlemen:
       AWS D1.5 is the American Welding Society "AASHTO/AWS D1.5M/D1.5:2008-BRIDGE WELDING CODE". There are state DOT etc requirements for field welders. In my work I have looked at many weld qual's with manual / semi auto 3 inch clear with position ( flat / vertical etc ) and process (SMAW / FCAW etc) X-Ray and CWI witnessed. For the field welders it is different. My focus is the New York State Steel Construction Manual available on line at https://www.nysdot.gov/divisions/engineering/structures/manuals/scm
in a downloadable searchable form. It is close but I am not sure if identical. I hope this is helpful.
Sincerely
Len Andersen    www.lenandersen.com

212-839-6599, 4042 FAX / 914-237-7689 (H) / 914-536-7101 (Mobil)
www.lenandersen.com
Parent - - By Sam13 Date 07-30-2010 05:17 Edited 08-02-2010 15:12
deleted by moderator
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-30-2010 13:17 Edited 07-30-2010 13:20
The primary difference is that the welder cannot use a grinder or any power tools for interpass cleaning when welding the test plates for D1.5. Additionally, D1.5 will not allow the use of hand tools, i.e., files, cheisels, saw blades, etc. to change the profile to the weld bead. In other words, excess reinforcement cannot be reduced by filing the face of the bead to improve the profile.

The base metal used for D1.5 must be a listed base metal, i.e., ASTM A709 Grade XX, rather than simply ASTM A36 (if my memory is correct).

D1.1 allows interpass cleaning using power tools or hand tools. That is permitted by the D1.1 code, but if the welder is taking my test, i.e., I'm signing on the dotted line, only hand tools can be used for interpass cleaning. I want to qualify welders, not professional grinders, when qualifying welders on plate for structural applications. I do not allow the welder to reposition the test plates for cleaning or welding once the test has started. Once in position and the first arc struck, the test plates don't move until they are taken down for final evaluation, i.e., bend testing or radiography.

D1.1 has special qualification requirements for T, Y, and K tubular connections where backing is not used. D1.5 does not address tubular structures, so there is no equivalent welder qualification test.

Typically a welder qualified to D1.5 is acceptable for work meeting D1.1, but a welder qualified to D1.1 is not permitted to weld per D1.5 without requalification per D1.5

I hope this is some help in answering your question.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-30-2010 14:17
Sam,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM AS WELL!!

Al, thank you for that answer.  As D1.5 is not something I have experience in it is always nice to see posts like this and have my memory refreshed as to some of the differences in the Codes.  A very simple and concise answer that deals with several key differences makes it easy for my simple mind to keep straight.

Hope the OP and Sam got the info they desired.  I'm sure that there are many other differences as well.  And other posters may pop in to give us their two pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 07-30-2010 18:23
Question-
If a welder takes a full pen test to D1.5 using A709-36 material, is he certified to weld A709-50?
I know I can't use an A709-36 WPS to weld A709-50, and to weld A709-50 I need to qualify my WPS to that grade, but I don't see where it lists material grade as an essential variable for a welders qualification.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 07-30-2010 18:29
Chris
AWS D1.5 Clause 5.24.1.1 Base Metal
Marshall
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 08-02-2010 10:28
right, got it, thanks.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 - D1.5 welder qualification