Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Zachry Construction
- - By jereme_j Date 07-12-2010 04:26
wassup everybody, my name is JJ i'm 21 from Alabama. I recently graduated college with my Associates Degree in welding and minor Industrial Maintenance. Right now I am working on a shipyard in NewOrleans as a pipe welder(under paid) the shipyard is always in trouble about work ethic and now is in danger of being shutdown in near future. I wanted to know is it hard to get on with companies such as Zachry Construction by me just graduating Dec. 2009? I have been applying for their jobs online. Or does anyone kow any other companies willing to accept an eager to learn ready to work young man?

p.s  I don't mind traveling
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-12-2010 15:18
Hello JJ,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

It is always HARDER for the younger, less experienced people to get work in welding.  Even more so with the higher paying jobs. 

The current economy makes it even worse.  There are a lot of good, experienced, certified, people out of work.  Many with families to feed and mortgages to pay.  They are eager and willing and more motivated most of the time to be consistent, stable, timely, and need less job specific training.  (Though not always).

Good luck and best wishes.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By jsm11 Date 07-23-2010 04:42
Hey JJ.

I'm in Huntsville right now and in a similar position.
I am about to finish up my schooling in August with GTAW Section IX.

Where'd you go through school at?
And what part of Bama are you from?

There are plenty of companies on the river up here.
Parent - By jereme_j Date 08-02-2010 01:36
Hey man. I did my schooling at Lawson Sate Community College in Bessemer, AL. I live in Hoover, AL.
Yea it seems kinda hard to get your foot in the door for making good money. You know your a damn good welder but the problem is finding someone to give you that shot.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Zachry Construction