Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding 316 S/S to 6063 Al
- - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 07-15-2010 15:22
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help me out with this? Greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 07-15-2010 15:58
I have experience welding 6061 AL to 304.  It is a tough task to say the least.  Like mixing oil and water.

There are really only two welding processes that might work:  friction welding, and explosion bonding.  With both of them, you really end up with what resembles a diffusion bond with no visible fusion zone on a metallography view.  The welds are also brittle.

We had to withstand thermal stress of about 400-500F.  The thermal expansion stress differences were enough that we had massive problems with cracking the brittle welds in service.  (We needed a hermetic seal for a jet engine part).

Our yields were as low as 25% with friction welding.  We switched to explosion bonding and got yields up to 85%.

We did not try brazing.  Some people have tried brazing al to ss.  There are problems with brittle intermetalliac compounds with brazing even.  Also, they say plating is reqired. I think they use a tantalum or titanium interlayer.

Good luck!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding 316 S/S to 6063 Al