Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D17-2 Resistance Welding for Aerospace
- - By qaultra Date 07-15-2010 18:49
What is the proper way to interperet Figure 7 in D17-2?

1. To measure maximum sheet separation at three times the radius, the picture shows a view to measure from the center of the weld to the point to where you have to take your measurement for sheet separation. It shows a starting point, but where is the arrow showing where to measure from? AMS and MIL-STD-6858 show the same illustrations.

2. Do you measure from the center or to the outer edge of the spot weld? Should there be an arrow starting from the center line or from the edge of the nugget? The line travels through the outer edge line to the center line telling me to start there. Can someone please clarify this item. I would hate to think that I am reading to deep or not close enough. So, which is it? the arrow missing; the center or outer edge?

Thanks
BE
Parent - - By Weldconsultant (*) Date 07-16-2010 06:30
Good question.  I can see the confusion between the drawing symbol and visual appearance.  The drawing shows the arrow starts from the centerline to a distance three times the radius.  There is a break in that arrow with the text "Ds is from Table 11 for". 

The other source of confusion is that in the schematic, the measurement location is shown at a distance that appears to be at 3 times the radius from the outer edge of the nugget.

I would interpret the drawing as measuring from the center of the nugget out a distance of 3 times the radius.

Girish
http://www.welding-consultant.com
Parent - - By qaultra Date 07-16-2010 13:12
Thanks, that does clarify what I thought, but is there, or are they planning to update D17-2? The reason for the question is that I have heard it done both ways and I want to do and teach it right. I agree that the lines start from the center of the weld, but not all who interpret the figure are engineers. The figure is vauge and just thought that it would be nice to make it more user friendly for everyone.

The drawing is not to scale and now I am confident that you have advised me correctly.

Thanks for your quick response
BE
Parent - By Weldconsultant (*) Date 07-17-2010 11:37
The technical committees frequently update the standards.  On the AWS website you can find a menu for "committees and sections" and then a subheading for "technical committees" where you can find a link for D17.  There you have an opportunity to ask your questions or post comments.  I have never done that myself so not sure how they respond.  Here is the link.

http://www.aws.org/w/a/technical/d17/

Girish
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D17-2 Resistance Welding for Aerospace