Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The Cactus welding rod
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-15-2010 23:53 Edited 07-15-2010 23:59
Wow! Been a long time since I run this stuff, good ol' Jet rod. Thought I'd fire up the machine and run a few just to find the mark on the ranger. These things are slicker than snot on a pump handle. Now I see why Cactus loves these things! Got the 5/32's and if the welder overheats this weekend it's probably not the rod, got them running good around 150. The killer will be the 97-100 degree heat we'll be roasting our jiblets to on Saturday! Not to mention the 99.9% humidity and it still won't rain. Here's some pics, they almost look like good welds.....gotta be the welding rod. I'd run a rod and let it cool and just peel the slag off in one ten inch long strip. Clean up should be a breeze this weekend! Sorry, babbling again....those 7024's are nice.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-16-2010 00:19
Nice weld. Add about 30 -40 more amps to lower the buckshot. Speed up a little bit.
The specs show a 100% duty cycle @29 volts. You may be hard pressed to run a 3/16 jut with that machine.
Jet do make purddy lookin welds!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-16-2010 00:25
Thanks Kahunna, I ran it up to around 175 on the last one..no picture though. Call me stupid but by buckshot do you mean the larger spatter balls? Seemed like it was diggin in better than the first run at 140. Yeah, probably gonna be all the ranger wants running the 5/32's, have run a few 3/16 6010's on the ol' gal just to stretch her legs sort of speak. Actually going tomorrow to work on a bigger welder, ya'll keep your fingers crossed. If this don't work gonna have to hit up a few banks! LoL!! Ok, government monitoring people that was a joke!!
Parent - - By RUSSELL (**) Date 07-16-2010 02:50
Shawn I still LOVE my Ranger 8.But dont try to run 3/16 jet on it
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-16-2010 11:33
I was checking the amperage range for 5/32 and 3/16 on Lincolns website, yep, 3/16 would be a welder killer, well in ranger 8 land!
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-17-2010 00:01
Yes the little splatter balls that stick to the base material
If the slag come loose and starts to peal your heat is perfect. When this happens and you see the buckshot, it is rod angle.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-17-2010 10:28
Ah, I see. Yeah, the slag was peeling completely off. I could let it cool and peel the entire length back without even pecking the weld with a hammer. Bet it was my rod angle like you said. It was on the back of my truck and I had the plate positioned funny so my rod angle was pretty weird when considering the direction of travel. Thanks again Kahunna.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 07-17-2010 14:16 Edited 07-17-2010 14:18
I dont know how everybody else does it, But I like to run mine at about a 20 - 30 degree angle. It seems to run well for me. With a Jet Rod, the window for the heat is larger than most rods where the Slag will peel off. Looking at your Puddles I think you could use just a little more heat.( Just a little, 4-5 amps should do it) It will tame some of the Buckshot. The plate you are welding on also appears to have some scale on it.. Take your grinder and Wire Wheel and clean the area well. Get the scale off. This will also help. As you know, I am a HUGE fan of Jet rods under the right conditions. These are just some tricks I have learned. BTW I dont know if the plate was Flat or not. You mentioned you had it at a funny angle. Jet rod runs best when Flat. I have run it in a Horizontal position but that will take you some practice with it. They also work best with a tight fit. If you have a Gap. Run a 6010 for filler then run a Jet. I would Stick to a 5/32 or 1/8 with your Ranger. It is a good machine but it has limits. Jet rods will find those limits QUICK !
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-18-2010 03:09
Ideal with jet is 45 degrees to the plate. If you are doing a filet again 45 degrees to the work AND 45 degrees to the filet.
Do not go over 45 degrees of the buckshot appears.
If you are having buckshot and the slag is pealing and starting to curl, it is rod angle. Close up the rod angle and slow down.
Once you master the 45 degree, you can find where the rod works best for you. Some welders get good results at 30 degrees, others cant. On a filet you have to keep the rof angle to the work and rod angle to the filet constant or you get buckshot. You cant have the rod tip at 45 degrees and the rod angle to the work at 30.
Causes problems.
Jet will test the limits of your machine and its abilities. If you want to clean up a SA200 get 4 or 5 3/16 jet and set it on max and max. It will hammer. at night you can see sparks jump out of the exhaust 3 feet. Kidna cleans up the whole machine. Do not do it with a marginal machine as it can blow and break stuff.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 07-16-2010 12:24
Cumminsguy71
try some mock-ups of the plates and their gaps you are going to weld. you might find the technique  a bit different.
Again Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-16-2010 12:49
Ok, sounds like a plan. Have not run much jet(4 ball bats yesterday) but from the 7018/6010 experience I can honestly say, in my opinion, welding rods are like people. They have their own personality sort of speak. 7018, 6010 have their own characteristics, how to run it, what you can and can't do, so it's just a matter of burning rod to learn about my new friend. Think I'll fire up the welder in the shop and play around with it, save my poor ranger for tomorrow!! LoL! Time for the ranger to go to the gym!
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-17-2010 15:17
Jet rod run hot and run fast gotta love it. You run to many of them and you get bored with the other rods cause they r slower and you start to think you are going to slow. Thas what happens to me any way
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 07-18-2010 03:19
Yeah, but you have always been a little slow !
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 07-18-2010 04:39
Low shot Cactus, why thats lower than..... a LIGHTPOST!   lol
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 07-18-2010 11:15
LOL    thats a good one !
Parent - By halfblind Date 07-18-2010 18:51
hook 2 of them rangers together'   That Ill do it
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-19-2010 00:41
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm i may be slow but the welds are good and they hold. I wont get on the galveston subject and the work load Me and Clay had to carry.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 07-19-2010 02:33
Hey ! I did what I was supposed to do. Besides I couldn't weld anyway. You were using MY machine ! Seems like a Light pole jumped in front of your truck and you could not drive it.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-19-2010 03:36
The light pole or the truck?????
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-20-2010 03:12
I wasnt talking about you. Seems like you have a guilty conscience lol. And i only used your truck 1 day so that excuse dont fly w me mister lol. Ican handle anything that gets thrown my way and i think i have proven that.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-21-2010 03:12
Sure He has a guilty conscience. He PUT that light pole in front of Your truck.
- By HELLTACO (*) Date 07-16-2010 19:14
you shoulda welded up that burn
- - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 07-17-2010 01:05
Cactus rod looks good but I still will stick w/wire feeder running .045 & 85/15 gas !! Have a parking garage rehab kicking off in about 2 wks. & I know thats how the G.C. got the job. Useing a wirefeed for 90% of all welding, had a newbie tell me" guys like me are ruining the welding industry"!!!!!( ended up running him off for TOO MUCH TALKING not enough working) Will send a crew up a couple days ahead of time to enclose work areas in visqueen ( heavy plastic sheet) useful to keep traffic safe from sparks & debris,sidewalk supervisers & DRAFTS. GET a BIGGER WELDER if you plan on staying in this industry Cummings. I ruined my first welder a brand new weld&power 250 in the first 6 months of business had to bit the bullet & buy a new sae-250 diesel and still run to this day ( bought new in 1982!!!!)
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-18-2010 09:17
Got it welded up yesterday. Took an hour on the first one, gap was just right I could run the jet in there pretty quick. This of course was an hour for rolling out my junk, blocking off sidewalk, grinding the area etc. Had both welds done and 3 holes sealed off by 11:30 when we tooks lunch. Welds looked pretty but ground them off, that's what the guy wanted. Was gonna paint today.....at the moment it's raining outside my door though.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The Cactus welding rod