Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Underwater welding?
- - By Thomas Kinler Date 07-16-2010 02:18
I'm 21 years old and am going to start my career in welding. I want to get into underwater welding but I need more Information on the subject. I was looking at the international Commercial Diving Academy in Jacksonville FL, but am unsure if the academy holds any credentials with employers. Or if the certificate they offer will be of any use to me if I'm unable to find work in the water and need to take a job on land while I search.

I was also wondering what the need for underwater welders is with the economy the way it is.

I was thinking about getting a two year welding diploma before going to the academy, I would like some professional opinions if this is a good idea or if it would just be a waste of time and money.

Thanks to who ever helps me with this.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 07-16-2010 12:01
Thomas Kinler
Welcome to the Forum
Not knowing more about you than shown in your profile it is hard to give you any help.
First there is a need for underwater welders.
Not knowing where you plan on going for your 2 year welding diploma can't really give you the go ahead on this even.
I will say that if you have decided on Welding as a career, all the good, education and training, you can get for yourself will help.
As far as underwater welders, get in young, make your money, and hopefully get out with your health. It will more than likely be a short career because it is very strenuous and demanding.
Again Welcome to The American Welding Society Online Forum
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - By HELLTACO (*) Date 08-14-2010 18:49
A lot of my friends went here and I no some that went to this school to.  They make lots of money and do it legal.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-07-13-Reentry-inmates_N.htm

dont fergit toplay the vidio it has my frind in it
- - By Len Andersen (***) Date 07-26-2010 17:42
Ladies and Gentlemen:
       I have an extensive underwater welding background how be it not current being a graduate of a marine diving school http://natpoly.edu Wilmington California and worked in the management  of the company with world's largest diving contract with world largest oil producing company. As a career move, I would suggest giving it thought. Look in the newspaper or other help wanted places and count the number of fits for welders and/or welding technicians compared to marine divers. Ten to one away from marine diving is a guess. You might spend time contacting marine diving concerns and see there response to you looking for the work. The work is seasonal. If you do the course, you will be looking for work as they are laying off. Personally I did underwater welding, invented underwater technology ( sticks ) resulting in five patent, went through 20 -30 wet welders on one job and was deemed an expert in underwater welding by the  IIW ( International Institute of Welding ) and had fun with it. I wish you luck and that starting your career 20 seems where a lot of us would like to be at. I hope this is helpful.
Sincerely
Len Andersen    www.lenandersen.com
212-839-6599, 4042 FAX / 914-237-7689 (H) / 914-536-7101 (Mobil)
www.lenandersen.com
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-26-2010 19:32
Len,
Please educate us on the safety concerns for underwater welding.

Tim
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 08-17-2010 00:50
In Response to TimGaryLen,
"Please educate us on the safety concerns for underwater welding."

Do you mean fun facts like,  Never get between the ground and the electrode.  Never change electrodes without first turning off the power.  No not weld with AC current.  Always be completely immersed when welding under water.  Never use Acetylene for underwater cutting.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-17-2010 14:09
That's good info.
Could you expand a little as to why you should never do these things?

Thanks
- - By Len Andersen (***) Date 08-03-2010 15:56
Ladies and Gentlemen:
      Tim that is a very broad subject that is something I have dealt with personally doing the work as a underwater wet welder and in the management with my people in danger. As a start point I would suggest know what safety requirements are required for your situation. OSHA ( www.osha.gov ) in USA and when call out elsewhere. There is equivalent foreign requirements and/or "guidance" that might be in the contract. A respected reference is the  "US Navy Underwater Cutting & Welding Manual" www.hnsa.org/doc/pdf/cut_weld.pdf  ! With DC stick wet it has been done for 70 years. With other process etc they are doing a learning curve. If you are wet welding you get into peripheral nervous system accumulative effect. Underwater welds’ quality is a dangerous "assumption".
    To emphasize my views I met a fellow who was one who was a welder on the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel complex. Only one underwater welder got killed. The other number ? They started with two. I hope this is helpful.
Sincerely
Len Andersen    www.lenandersen.com
212-839-6599, 4042 FAX / 914-237-7689 (H) / 914-536-7101 (Mobil)
www.lenandersen.com
PS- If you have question ask!
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 08-03-2010 16:08
Thanks for the reply Len.
I've heard that if an underwater welder touches the weldment while welding, he/she can easily be electrocuted. Is this true or an exaggeration?

Thanks,
Tim
Parent - By Len Andersen (***) Date 08-12-2010 17:54
Ladies and Gentlemen,
      The answer is yes in my opinion and you would not be the first.
                                              Len
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Underwater welding?