Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1, D1.5 welder performance qualification
- - By jimsimpson Date 07-17-2010 03:06
if a welder qualifies to weld limited thickness flat groove (3/8" test plate)
he is  limited to weld 3/4"

does this limit him to thickness of base metal or groove weld size?

I thought he could weld up to 3/4" groove weld. (regardless of thickness of adjoining material)

I am being told he cannot weld a 3/8" groove weld because (the material adjoining in a tee joint) is thicker than 3/4".

please answer this only if you know the answer.

thanks jim
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 07-17-2010 09:37 Edited 07-17-2010 09:40
jimsimpson
Welcome to the Forum
The qualification range is material thickness not groove detail.
So You are being told correctly about that.
Again welcome to the American Welding Society Online Forum.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-17-2010 13:47
Reference AWS D1.1-2010, Table 4.11,  footnote d: "Also qualifies for welding any fillet or PJP weld size on any thickness of plate, pipe or tubing."

My understanding is the welder is qualified for all fillet and partial joint penetration groove welds by successfully passing a CJP performance test of any thickness. The size of the PJP groove weld and the fillet weld size are not limited nor is the thickness of the base metal limited based on the performance test passed.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 07-17-2010 17:41
Al
Thank You
I was doing that assuming stuff again (Assuming O.P. meant CJP only)
Marshall
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-17-2010 21:53
My pleasure Marshall.

I usually shoot myself in the foot when I take a short cut and don't go back to the code or read the question incorrectly. I've had to go back and change my answers more than often than I would to admit.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1, D1.5 welder performance qualification