Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / oil rig
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-19-2010 22:13
is it under water is is gone alltogether?
Parent - - By SMTatham (**) Date 07-20-2010 13:39
Are you asking about the Deepwater Horizon rig?
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-20-2010 15:59
yes
Parent - - By SMTatham (**) Date 07-20-2010 17:34
IF what we are told is true; yes it's gone.  Sunk in it's entirety.  I am not there............or anywhere close; so maybe someone else can confirm.  All the news accounts I have seen described it as totally consumed by the explosion; and the whole shebang went down some hours later.
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 07-20-2010 19:09
Does anyone here know the actual PSI of the oil coming out of the BP well? Heard a news guy the other night say it was 7500 psi at the well head can that be true?
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 07-20-2010 19:47
Jssec
I was watching the live feed from the (ROV's) the other day not 48 hours after they shut the valves and it had climbed to 6,700 PSI
Marshall
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-20-2010 20:02
Subsea operational update:

• The well integrity test is ongoing and active monitoring continues.

Currently the well remains shut-in with no oil flowing into the Gulf; any significant change to this operation will be announced via a press release.

Pressure continues to slowly increase and is approximately 6825 psi.

We anticipate the next update will be provided at around 9:30am CDT on July 21, 2010.

Updated July 20 at 10:30am CDT

-----Copied from BP's ROV2 site.
- - By mcostello (**) Date 07-21-2010 03:09
With pressure increasing, is that a typical acting well or are we in for more fun and games.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-21-2010 03:56
The idea is that if the pressure DID NOT increase, that oil is escaping SOME PLACE.

As pressure increases, so does the posibility of a leak developing some place.

There is divided opinion on weather the well SHOULD be completly shut off, as there is risk involved.

On the other hand, they would like to know if they CAN shut it off without leakage, in case they HAVE TO for a huricane.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 07-22-2010 02:55
Hmm. From a financial perspective, they have all this investment in the original well that is now "producing" revenue that might help finance the penalties, clean-up, a fund for the victims families and other and subsequent cash cows. I find it unimaginable that this band aid would not have had BOPs installed. Can't see any reason why they would cap it off.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-23-2010 02:27
This "band Aid" does have a BOP on it, from what I saw/heard on the news.

Producing this well is only logical, but it will take some time to get it piped into the existing lines.

In the mean time, all they can do is pump to tankers, and that can't be done in extreme weather.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / oil rig