Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rebar education
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-20-2010 04:42
Simple question, not likely a simple answer right. Guy calls today, we need 50 pieces of rebar, 4 foot long, L shape, long side 32", short side 16", #6 rebar. This is for a foot bridge at a condo complex, where I've done handrail work....and soon a foot bridge. Anyhow, from seeing the project I'm betting and engineer has been involved in this for the concrete footers for the bridge. From searching around on here I've seen different grades of rebar. My assumption is when they tell me number 6 rebar they need to read the plans and tell me #6 grade blah, blah rebar, correct?

Next question, best way to bend the 90? Would it be alright to heat the rebar and bend it into a 90? Or is a cold bend the best way? I was thinking that if it was heated hot enough to bend that it may weaken/change the rebar in some way from what it has been design for?

Educate me and no I'm not doing the concrete work, just the "steel guy" so they call me for things like this......yeah, I know, I don't know why either. I have not messed with rebar but here I am.

As always any info is greatly appreciated,

Shawn
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-20-2010 04:52 Edited 07-20-2010 05:07
Stay up late enough and I'll answer my own questions. ACIS, watched the vid at Bob Bender and has different size mandrels to meet ACIS standards. Does the size of the bar, i.e, #6, #7 determine the minimum radius allowed? Thinking I need to go to the job and look at the prints for this foot bridge. Hot bending rebar, think I read only by approval from the engineer, ACI 318-77, "Building Code Requirements for Reinforced Concrete Structures": 7.3.1 - All reinforcement shall be bent cold, unless otherwise permitted by the Engineer.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-20-2010 05:09
Better yet, found a place in town that fab's the rebar, just need to find out what grade is spec'd out. Thanks for the help guys!

Please comment though, I'd still like to understand more.
Parent - - By SMTatham (**) Date 07-20-2010 13:35
Well, #6 bar is 3/4 inch; and it's a ***** to bend by hand.  Get it done at a shop that fabs reinforcing steel; you'll be happy happy.  Then price won't scare ya bad either; compared to trying to do that job by hand.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-20-2010 19:05
found a place in town, price was way cheaper than what I was thinking. Easier to pick it up at their door already done than to sweat it out bending it myself old school.
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 07-20-2010 13:31
for minimum bend radius look at ACI 318  7.3
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-20-2010 15:25
Here, look at Chapter 7.2 for min bend radius (and Table 7.2) in this pdf...found this online(not sure what edition is the latest, so take that for what it's worth)

http://civildata.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/aci-318m-08-building-code-requirements-for-structural-concrete-and-commentary.pdf
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 07-21-2010 00:53
nice link
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-20-2010 11:16 Edited 07-20-2010 11:22
I use one that we got at Northern Tool, but there is no reason you can't make one...look here and see if you can fab something like this, just use a long enough handle to make it so you don't strain your guts out.
You can bend them in a press, or by hand, or buy an expensive outfit...but I would make one, or get the Northern Tool one, it has a cutter built in. 

http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Industrial-Rebar-Cutter-Bender/dp/B000OYZEEE/ref=sr_1_24/181-5400162-0552425?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1279624721&sr=1-24

Check these out....use your imagination

http://www.hickybar.com/

EDIT:added links
- - By RioCampo (***) Date 07-20-2010 14:47
Heat and rebar means reject inspection. You can not cut, bend, or weld rebar. It won't pass inspection whether it's a state job or a city inspected job. It needs to be shear cut and manually bent. If you have the right bender it's pretty easy.
Parent - - By SMTatham (**) Date 07-20-2010 14:59
"You can not cut, bend, or weld rebar"

Now THAT is a sweeping generality that is just not true.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 07-20-2010 15:00
You can but it won't pass inspection. Well, actually there are a couple of instances, but not many.
Parent - By SMTatham (**) Date 07-20-2010 15:33
D1.4 covers a LOT of ground.  There is a lot of rebar welded in this country; most are not familiar with it.  In the application specific to this post; no heat is not the answer.  But throwing around blanket statements is not productive either.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 07-20-2010 23:14
GR. 60 weldable rebar . I have welded tons of it for GDOT projects and it passed their inspection every time .
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-21-2010 00:49
Re-bar gets welded to D1.4 on a very regular basis.  I have both welded it and inspected it.  All kinds of embed plates, mud/bent plates and other applications.  Fillet welds and full pen welds.

Currently it is mostly A706 but there are many other grades that are weldable with the right procedures followed (though they may not be called 'weldable re-bar' which generally designates A 706). 

Not sure where that comment came from, someone needs to read D1.4.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By hillbilly (**) Date 07-20-2010 16:30
Shawn, I've got several hicky's. You can see which one fits your hand the best. Ha
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-20-2010 19:03 Edited 07-20-2010 19:24
Only hicky's I know about are the ones I got in high school!!! Checked out Johns link, those are pretty slick. You staying busy? I got some work, well, working single hand up in Clarksville with a no longer Union Ironworker slinging steel and welding. Be up there for a week or two, think he said a week job. Pay's not great but this is a friend of a friend and figure there can be a lot learned working around his experience, not to mention if I can prove myself and that's just another phone number for future stuff. Get to learn some of the lingo, be a smartazz ironworker, hahaha! Pretty stoked for the opportunity, ready to learn! Getting the "hope I don't look like a dumbazz" jitters now! LOL!! Gonna camp out in his travel trailer for the time I'm up there, save some serious $$$ by not making that drive everyday!! 2 hours each way, ouch! Kept threatening my wife that I was gonna leave! Hahahaha!
- - By swnorris (****) Date 07-20-2010 16:40
ASTM A615 is the standard type of rebar used for reinforcement in concrete building structures. The most commonly used grade is Grade 60 (Fy = 60 ksi), but is also available in Grade 40 and Grade 75.

ASTM A706 is a rebar intended for applications requiring controlled tensile properties (i.e. seismic applications) and applications requiring enhanced weldability. It is available in only one grade, Grade 60 (Fy = 60 ksi).

The diameter of the bends must conform to the following requirements:

For ASTM A615

Bar Diameter     Min. Bend diameter (D)
    1/2”                     1 3/4"
    5/8”                     2 1/4"
    3/4”                     3 3/4"
    7/8”                     4 1/2"
     1”                         5"

For ASTM A706

Bar Diameter     Min. Bend diameter (D)
    1/2”                     1 1/2"
    5/8”                        2"
    3/4”                        3"
    7/8”                     3 1/2"
     1”                          4"

If welded, the weld should not be closer than 2 bar diameters from the bend.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-20-2010 19:02
Thanks swnorris, good info and thanks for the education! Found a fabricator in town that priced out all 50 pieces, bent, grade 60 as spec'd out in the prints for $160 out the door. It's easier for them to bend them than for me to spend the coin to buy the equipment.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rebar education