Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Can i use A36 with a 50 ksi Yeild??
- - By david bean (**) Date 07-26-2010 13:42
The drawing is calling for A572 grade 50.

The shop used a36 with a 50 ksi yield.

Is this acceptable???
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-26-2010 14:10
David,
The only person who can answer your question is your customer/ client.
A material will be agreed on prior to commencement of work and you cannot indiscrimanately change materials.
You can put in a TQ (Technical Query) or CR (Concession Request) to ask your customer / client to accept the substitute material but they are under no obligation to accept it.
From a technical point of view the A572 Gr 50 has a Minimum Specified Tensile Strength of 65 ksi and the A36 is 58 ksi so I don't like your chances of getting approval.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-26-2010 15:01
I believe Shane hit the nail on the head.

There are other considerations beyond the yield point or the tensile strength alone. There is a reason why there are so many different material specifications and there are reasons why the engineer selects one specification and not another.

The steel manufacturer can use different means of developing the mechanical properties required such as using different rolling methods, different balances of chemistry, different raw stock, i.e., rimmed, capped, or killed steels, etc. These different factors will affect the ease of welding, ability to form it into different shapes by rolling, bending, extruding, etc., as well as corrosion resistance, ductility, toughness, and so on.

The proper selection of materials can be very involved. No substitutions should be permitted unless the owner's engineer has approved the substitution.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Can i use A36 with a 50 ksi Yeild??