Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Which Code????
- - By Terry Vititoe 2 (*) Date 07-28-2010 11:41
I work for a (small) division of Alstom in the power sector (gas turbines) we recently started a reconditioning facility.  The question came up about which code governs the castings (vanes, blades, shrouds) that we recondition. This is for the area outside the weld or HAZ (welds we use D17.1)  The Base metal we use MIL STD 1907 for acceptance/rejection critera for FPI.
Is there any code better that we could use?? Some of our young engineers need help.  Thoughts???????
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 07-28-2010 16:25
If you are ISO you should have specified a code you use to qualify Procedures and Welders to.

We reference ASME sect XI and because there is so little that specifically covers most of the work we do we include statements that allow Engineering plenty of latitude.

That’s pretty much a universal thing but in order to keep every one (vendors & other outside contractors) on the same page and in the same book it needs to be expressed in the quality manual.

I’m not sure what part of Alstom you are but we maybe akin. Where are you located?
- - By Terry Vititoe 2 (*) Date 07-28-2010 19:15
In the past I came from the piping side of consrtuction on power plants & we used ASME, but here there is some confusion about which code governs the castings.  I work for PSM (Power Systems Mfg) in Jupiter Fl
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-28-2010 20:28
To the best of my knowledge there is no code directly related. Some what like our Steam & Gas Turbine cases, some think it falls under pressure vessel but not so. I guess it has to contain static pressure to qualify as a vessel.

As far as welding goes I don’t think you can’t go wrong with ASME if has pipes that convey something.

API has a couple codes and the one for rotating equipment comes pretty close but very little to do with welding.

Our parent company (Siemens AG) bought out a small portion of Alstom not so long ago; I think it was In Dallas or Austin. I don’t pay that much attention to that stuff but I have done some work on some Alstom Steam turbines.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2010 01:12
I would have to think the original castings for land based power units would be cast to an ASTM standard. If you have a set of the original drawings, the materials of construction should be listed, i.e., the ASTM standard. A quick reference to the ASTM standard would provide the chemistry for different classes/grades of castings and the mechanical properties. The ASTM standard will most likely include requirements for making welded repairs to the original casting (typical practice for blow holes, shrink cavities, etc.). The same requirements should be ap-plicable to in-service repairs.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Terry Vititoe 2 (*) Date 07-29-2010 14:38
it's my understanding that ASTM only tells you how to perform certain tests (NDT).  I couldn't find acceptance / rejection critrea (cracks,voids, size of rounded indications) in ASTM, but I could be wrong (I'll double check).  I agree that ASME section-9 is more rounded in that it covers piping, but have had a diffuctity convencing others.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2010 15:19 Edited 07-30-2010 12:34
Get a copy of the applicable ASTM standard. It addresses much more than how to "test" something. The standard applicable to the casting will provide information on the chemistry, mechanical properties for different grades, etc. It will direct you to additional standards if they are applicable, such as how to perform MT and the acceptance criteria for such testing. It will also address welded repairs, if permitted, and it may direct you elsewhere for specifics.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Terry Vititoe 2 (*) Date 07-30-2010 10:42
Thanks I'll check it out
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Which Code????