Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Miller Axcess Welder Help
- By cjames8 Date 07-28-2010 12:06
Hey Guys,
We have a new Miller Axcess machine that operates using Pulse technology. One of the automatic welds that we have to make needs to have a concave profile.
The ideal size of the weld would be 3/32".

Here is some information regarding weld:
Carbon Steel
Solid Wire (.035)
Fillet weld (lap joint profile) typically 1/4" on 3/8"
Automatic Weld

We have managed to accomplish the weld size, but the weld profile remains convex.
Are there any tricks with the Axcess that anyone has learned to acquire a concave weld?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Carl
- - By dholdren Date 07-28-2010 15:07
I can't tell you what specifically to do with your Axcess power source, but here are a couple of thoughts relative to achieving a concave profile:

- Achieving a 3/32" fillet weld size is a real trick with GMAW, even GMAW-P.  This size would be more typical with GTAW.
         - If this is being done in accordance with AWS D1.1, it is illegal to specify a weld smaller than 1/8"
   - A metal core electrode would give you a better chance to produce a concave fillet weld profile
         - You could even move up to 0.045" diameter metal core and operate at roughly the same parameters as with the 0.035" solid
   - Run the weld vertical-down and the profile will almost always be concave

Good luck.

Dick Holdren
Parent - By cjames8 Date 07-29-2010 12:05
Thanks,
I was thinking the metal core might be the way to go since it has the same arc properties as the flux core that we currently use.
As far as the weld size goes, it is basically a seal weld that has no structural properties. It almost needs to be autotogenous weld.
I also thought of the vertical down but the problem with that is the automatic weld station can't be configured that way.

I really appreciate your response Mr. Holdren.

Carl James
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Miller Axcess Welder Help