Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding to coil spring
- - By crahner (**) Date 08-09-2010 02:28
I am needing to weld a piece of 1/4 plate on each end of a coil spring.  I know that the spring is high strenghth.  Is is possible to get it to take, and if so what would be the best way.

Thanks,
Casey
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-09-2010 03:13
If the spring is stressed much it will fail in the HAZ of the weld. There is no good way. You may get it to "take" but You would be better off re-designing things so You don't have to weld to the spring.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-09-2010 03:27
Amen.

Al
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 08-09-2010 04:28
If the connection will put life and limb at stake, find a better way. If not, I would use a stainless rod made by Avesta called P7. It's a 312 SS made for dissimilar repairs. I found myself away from my shop and in DESPERATE need of an anvil. So I took a piece of railroad track and welded a piece of 1" round to the end of it. I then proceeded to beat the living daylights out of that thing. It is still holding to this day. I think that will work but I wouldn't stake my life or reputation on it.

Jon
Attachment: anvil.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-09-2010 04:59
Leaf springs are 5160 steel...9018 B9 (or ER 90 B9) is a fairly good match for mechanical properties. However, there are the PWHT requirements to make it work. You are extending a spring and the ends are the part that is the most critical, ie. recieves the bulk of the load, so, weldor beware!
Parent - - By crahner (**) Date 08-09-2010 13:01
I think that I will end up finding a better way.  It is a toy for the kids and I would hate to put them on their face.  I had at first considered 11018.

Thanks,
Casey
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-09-2010 17:39
Good!!!    go get you some u-bolts at NAPA and design you plate to work with that.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 08-10-2010 10:21
can't weld some type of "bracket" that go's over the spring to lock it down? this way the spring itself will be able to flex, and the bracket/strap will hold it in place.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding to coil spring