Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Field/Erection Drawing Symbols Referance Material
- - By eekpod (****) Date 08-09-2010 16:38
Strucutural Steel buildings field/ erection drawings have particular symbols on them. For example a line with a triangle is a moment weld, there are drag beam conection symbols and so on.
What referance document is used to regulate these symbols?
I looked through AWS 2.4 Symbols and didn't see it in there. I also looked through the AISC "Detailing for Steel Construction" and didn't see it in their either.
We are trying out a new detailer and I want to make sure they are using the correct symbol on the drawings.  I am not extremely familer with all those symbols, and I want to look them up to make sure they are correct.
Thanks
Chris
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-09-2010 17:19
EEKPOD

In my experience, many structural drawings have symbols that are "non-standard".  They usually have a list of the symbols that detailer likes to use on the General Structural Notes page.  AWS A2.4 is just the ANSI Standard for Welding Symbols.   The ANSI Y-14 series has other symbols, but I have never been able to afford to buy those publications.

Joe Kane
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 08-09-2010 17:29
Chris
I have only seen them on the symbols legend on the Contract Drawings as you stated they are not symboled by AWS or AISC.
http://www.fciol.com/documents/joint_forcesWY/add_2dwgs/FMS04-STRUCTURAL.pdf  is a pdf showing a symbols legend, from there the detailer needs to be aware of the different ways of accomplishing the moment connection and if it is acceptable to the EOR
It is up to the Engineer of Record to decide the type of moment connection or have the contractor engineer them and detail. Sometimes they will show a couple of options,(bolted/welded)
But I have never seen them listed as such.
They are in most of the Drafting programs, Autodesk...
How is the employee search coming?
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-09-2010 17:32
I would, if you haven't already, develope a company specific Detailing Standard(a detailing manual).

Ours includes all sorts of typical connections, typical details showing how we as a company like to see things done, when the contract docs do not specifically address something and leave it up in the air.

Typical pour stop:
(ie. show mitered bent plate corners or show run one running by and stripping the leg of the other bent plate or whatever is your company standard.)

Also include the things that you mentioned in your original post.
Parent - - By Magilla (*) Date 08-09-2010 17:59
Well, after being a structural ironworker for 15 years, i can tell you that most detailers use their own symbols, and as mentioned above, the general notes page should have all of them listed. If I question any of what they want, I send an RFI out. That gets the EOR involved, and lets him make the call. As far as the triangle (usually filled in black) at the end of the line, it usually denotes a moment connection at that location, and unless noted, it should be the typical cjp detail that is used. Just my two cents. Good luck with it all, and if you need any plans to practice reading, i have a few sets i can send you.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-09-2010 20:01
Hello Wacco;

I've seen the symbols symbols listed in your attachment used on a number of drawings. I can't say they are universal, but common is an applicable term.

As noted by others, I've seen detailers that have devised their own symbols and I have had to make a couple of telephone calls to confirm their meaning before getting too far into reading the drawing set.

I checked my detailing book and my design book purchased from AISC many long years ago. The welding symbols were still pretty much in agreement with the current AWS symbols (at least they are recogtnizable), but the symbols in your attachment were no where to be found. Perhaps a more recent editions of the AISC manuals would have them. Not that I expected to, but I didn't see any drawing symbols in the AISC Steel Construction Manual.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 08-09-2010 22:31 Edited 08-09-2010 23:48
Al
No they are no where to be found in AISC that I have seen.
I started to edit and say that in the 2002 AISC/NISD Detailing for Steel Construction,(the copy I have behind my desk)  Under Moment Connections, that the Customers Engineering/Representative will detail the Moment connections.
I have never seen the Moment connection symbol anywhere really but on a print nor that of a drag beam, but they are both pretty universal.
If we want to change the Moment for ease of fabrication and or erection we have to submit it for approval.
Marshall
Edit
I have searched pretty good this question of Chris's asking for a list of symbols one might find on a Drawing. I think it is an Engineer thing. I find no literature on their origin or compilation of symbols. I will check our library tomorrow but I imagine I have found about all I will find.
ME
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 08-10-2010 10:18
Thanks everyone for all your effort and input.  I'm gald to hear that it's not just me who could'nt find these symbols, but I have to admit I forgot about the general notes page. 
This new detailer sent us a small assortment of drawings and they didn't have one attached and it never occured to me to ask for one, this was a situation where I was walking by someone's desk and they asked, "he take a look at these tell me what you think" and that was that.
I guess if we all had time, energy, alot of effort we could get together, compile the symbols we know and submit to AISC/AWS and ask it to be included into the standard symbols for our industry, but I know I can;t handle that task now, I'm too busy.
Anyway, thanks again guys, I appreciate the help.
Chris.

Marshall, nothing yet, not one application. bummer
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Field/Erection Drawing Symbols Referance Material