Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Answers to Welder or Rod Burner
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-10-2010 04:38
Good morning Gentlemen;

I have my answers listed below with justification where the answer might not be obvious.

If you haven't tried the quiz yet, do so before looking at my answers.

Some of my selections might be open to discussion, but I tried to justify what I believe to be the “best” answer selected from the possible answers provided.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By MMyers (**) Date 08-10-2010 21:26
Question 8:
I've got some questions about this one.  First, what kind of distortion?  Angular? Transverse? Longitudinal?  Each one responds differently to different bead geometries which are inherently tied to different welding process parameters.

Also, your answer doesn't agree well with a paper published in November 2005 issued of The Welding Journal, "Effects of Process Parameters on Angular Distortion of Gas Metal Arc Welded Structural Steel Plates", V. Vel, Murugan and V. Gunaraj.  In short the paper found that fewer weld passes, higher travel speeds, higher wire feed speeds with lower interpass temperature were all beneficial in reducing angular distortion.  Thoughts?
- - By 47Harley (*) Date 08-10-2010 21:59
My answer was A. I was taught to use stringer beads and a higher travel rate to keep the inter pass temps. down. I thought a weave would deposit more material into an area which would raise the inter pass temps. and cause distortion.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-11-2010 03:34 Edited 08-11-2010 03:36
The object is to select the best answer from those provided.

Fewer weld beads (translate as thermal cycles) results in less distortion. How do you deposit a weld of a certain size with fewer beads? By using a large diameter electrode with high current and use a weave bead.

High interpass temperature means there is less thermal gradient in the through thickness direction as well as in the surrounding base metal. The concept of maximizing the thermal gradient is used to our advantage when cambering members or when straighting damaged members by heating them with a torch. To minimize the distortion (opposite affect as in the case of cambering) you want the entire cross section to be heated as uniformly as possible. Preheating will help minimize the distortion, but that wasn't included in the answer I selected. Where preheat was mentioned, it was in conjunction with stringers which is going to increase distortion due to the increased number of thermal cycles required to deposite the required weld size. The other answer that included preheat mentioned weave beads, but not high current. 

You can try a simple experiment using the T-joint described for the fillet break test in D1.1. Place a small tack weld at each end of the T-joint (not in the area of the weld but, but on the very ends to hold the plates in proper perpendicular alignment). Weld a 3/8 inch fillet weld on one side of the joint in the vertical postion. In one case make the weld using a single pass weave bead. Weld a second sample using several stringer beads. Remember, the resulting fillet welds have to be the same size for the test to be valid.

There are many ways to mitigate the distortion; use strong backs, use the back step technique, minimize the weld size, don't over weld, etc., but they were not listed in any of the answers provided.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 47Harley (*) Date 08-11-2010 11:50
Thanks for the information. I can understand with how you explained that a weave would evenly distribute heat across the material. I also understand the concept of more thermal cycles and effects of distortion because of it. I'll have to try them both out and do some experimenting with t-joints to see the results. How is the HAZ affected with the weave compared to stringer beads?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-11-2010 12:35
Increased heat input usually results in a larger HAZ all things being equal.

The increase in the size of the HAZ isn't usually a problem with most constructional steels. There are times when it may be best to reduce the size of the HAZ or at least control it, such as when welding quench and tempered steels or even the thermally mechanically enhanced steels or when the applications require notch toughness.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Answers to Welder or Rod Burner