Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Its been a few years
- - By ctacker (****) Date 08-12-2010 05:36
since I seen one this big, W14X730, top chord for a truss were building, 5" flanges, 3" web!
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 08-12-2010 10:56
Wow! I have never seen one that big! What type of structure is this going on?
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 08-12-2010 12:53
this is going into a parking garage, its 50' long and will be embedded in concrete!
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 08-12-2010 11:21 Edited 08-12-2010 11:30
ctacker
You don't just call up the local steel yard and request that one I bet.
By the way Good looking layout too.
The heaviest I have worked is some W14X398. We cut some 5' pieces and made Anchors for some Submarine Buoys. The Prints also called for us to prep one end of two 70' W14X398 for CJP field welding the beams together to make a 140' apparatus for driving the anchors at least 40' into the mud.
When the truck carrying the anchors and beams arrived at the barge we got a call that the two beams weren't welded together, we explained to them the meaning of field weld symbols and the fact that 140' of beam would require a special permit and wasn't part of the quote as we saw and quoted that to be their work.
They said they had welders but none they thought could make two pieces into one.
I loaded up the truck and went to weld the two together. While I was directing the crane operator in aligning the pieces on some concrete pilings on the barge the engineers for the owner were there and asked about a laser or string at least to align them. I told them a string will sag,(even piano wire) and that my eye was better than a laser, and wasn't time for them to go have lunch. They didn't appreciate my answers but left me alone and a couple of hours later I had the flanges about half way out flush, back-gouged the root on the two flanges and working on the web.
They came back and while getting up and stretching my legs I walked to the end where they were standing and asked if it was straight enough for them, they said we can't tell where the splice is. I said good and went back to burning electrodes.
Good Luck
Marshall
Edit: The first photo is a composite of some of the parts making up the anchor. The next shot shows three of the anchors and on the right hand side you can see one of the grey and red primer buoys and also the W14x398 Beam I was there splicing.
Attachment: subanchor2.jpg (73k)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-12-2010 11:48
Going to proof test your overhead cranes?......We do every time we got a batch of those babies are running through the shop. LOL...one column per truck load will get your tonnage reports rolling in a hurry.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-12-2010 13:36 Edited 08-12-2010 13:43
I'm glad to hear those welds were going to be buried in mud!

Just kidding. They are some nice looking welds!

I didn't notice any edge prep on the heavy lug. Were they attached with fillet welds only? It would seem that the fillets would have to be very large to develop the full strength of the lifting lugs depicted by the photographs. I didn't see sufficient clearance between the "boss" and the beam flange to permit the size fillet welds that I presume would be required to fully develop the joint.

There is something about photos of jobs and welds; I use my camera all the time to photo welds that are questionable, poor fit-up, etc. At a family gathering, I always seem to forget I own a darn camera. Maybe that is stretching the point a little, but it isn't too far off the mark.

I enjoy the photos attached to the posts. They add a lot of character and interest to the posting. Keep them coming fellas! Keep up the good work Marshall. Nice layout on the column Tacker. I haven't seen steel like that since the days of the nukes.

Unlike the dinosaurs, the nukes are coming back. I spoke with an Ironworker friend in Florida that says his brother is on a new nuke facility in Georgia. Ground has been broken and Ironworkers are on site at two new facilities in Georgia. Now, if we can just keep the fabrication here in the USA, there will be some nice work coming up.

More than likely some white shirt will decide it is politically expedient to have the stuff fabricated in China or India. This is when I believe tariffs should come into play. Free trade is a figment of imagination of someone living in an Ivory Tower. Keep the work in the US and the hell with the WTO and Wall Street and unemployment will recede to an acceptable level. Adam Smith had some good ideas on how the economic engines work, but the human element and cost is lacking in most of his theories. He didn't factor in the cost of the social safety nets that kick in and the loss tax revenues that must be factored in when "free trade" becomes the national mantra.

Maybe I shop in the wrong stores, but I haven't seen prices dropping just because all the textile mills in the Carolinas have been shuttered or the price of sneakers recede because Nike has decided to make their sneakers in third world countries. Instead, the prices have increased and the profits end up in the pockets of the few CEOs. It kind of reminds me of the "Robber Barons" of yesteryear.

To paraphrase and twist a quote from our old friend Ross P. a little, "That loud sucking sound is our national wealth being transferred to India, China, and a few other Third World Countries." It isn't a viable strategy for long-term economic survival.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By bruce69 (*) Date 08-14-2010 15:05
Just like cars.  They just about have the UAW broken.  When they get all the auto workers down to $10 or $12 an hour, the price of cars will not go down a penny.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-12-2010 23:55
Had some like that last year on a job I was doing TPI work on here in AZ.  Job was going over to CA.  Very interesting monitoring everything on those.

Thanks for the pics Carl and Marshall. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-13-2010 03:52
Ctacker    WOW!    Hey I have been thinking on building a nuke proof bunker in my backyard....could you price me some of your drops? LOL.

I love this: "I told them a string will sag,(even piano wire) and that my eye was better than a laser, and wasn't time for them to go have lunch."
You go Marshall!!!!  That story brings up some memories of when I was leaning a lot of important things fast, good memories.

Al   I AGREE    completely in fact.   You have a very calm level headed economic "rant?"  I gave similar food for thought not long ago here, but much more "rant" in mine   lol.

NICE PICS FELLAS    Yall should post them more often.....it is fun for a lot of us to look at that kind of work.

Best Regards
Tommy
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 08-22-2010 04:01 Edited 08-22-2010 04:11
here is the almost finished bottom chord, W14X665 with 2" plates, and some nice looking welds on the top chord, CJP of the W14X730's

Sorry Tommy, no drops here, everything came cut to size, the only cutting we did was for the CJP preps!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Its been a few years