Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Interview tips
- - By eckstg (*) Date 08-14-2010 20:48
Hello fellow AWS members,
                                        I recently applied for a job with Plumbers & Steamfitters Local Union and passed their simple math test and received a letter stating i completed the first phase of their hiring process and have an interview this coming thursday. I have no experience with interviewing and not sure what to expect.Would any of you fellow members have any tips on what questions to expect and how to answer or links to any websites that may better prepare me for the interview?

I just graduated the basic welding technologies course at a local trade school and obtained a couple certs from AWS which are 3g verticle up open butt plates with 1/8in gap , 3/8in thick metal, no backing strip in both gmaw and smaw.I practiced 6g pipewelding in SMAW with 10in diameter pipe for the whole duration of the short summer semester.The pipe was prepared beforehand with a bandsaw and lathe.All i had to do was grind the landing and tack the pieces of pipe together in order to weld them.I welded the root and 1st hot pass with 6010 1/8 rods. I finished all other hot passes and cap passes with 7018 3/32 rods.I have 1 piece of pipe my instructor says is worth sending to AWS to be tested and may possibly pass.I plan to send it in the next couple weeks.Thing is i had the benefit of taking my time with the pipe and using a grinder and wirewheel to manipulate how much slag could have been trapped inbetween passes.

For this reason im not sure if i am truly ready to weld and pass a pipe test on 1 piece of pipe during an actual job test without the benefit of a wirewheel and grinder and only a chipping hammer and wirebrush.The job i applied for is an apprenticeship position since i have no prior field experience and im guessing may more or less be for a welders helper position.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Parent - By hojopens3 (**) Date 08-21-2010 01:59
sounds to me you are on your way, good luck
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Interview tips