Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Fillet Weld Break Test
- - By fbrieden (***) Date 08-17-2010 20:22
Input on the easiest way to this mechanical testing will be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-17-2010 20:40
simplest way is using a BFH, easiest way is hydraulic press

Weld fillet weld(T joint), flip it over and break it, verify the root.
(smash with hammer until it folds over on itself or busts in pieces, similar results with hydaulic press)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-18-2010 04:01
According to B4.0; Clause 9.2.5 the 'apparatus' need only be able to firmly hold the specimen and apply the needed force to bend/break the specimen.  And in 9.2.3 the significance of the test is 'qualitative' and is to determine the 'soundness' of the welded joints.

Your choice as to how you get there.  John's methods are both sound but I really like Jim's procedure....Make the welder do it.  That is the "SIMPLEST" way to accomplish the test.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By jbndt (**) Date 08-18-2010 02:40
Easiest way?

Have the welder break it!

Cheers,
jb
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-19-2010 03:17
This shows it all!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-19-2010 14:40
I think I would dispose of the welding hood while attempting that task.  And my press is so much easier than my 16 lb sledge.

Great Pic though.  Thanks Al. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 08-19-2010 16:24
Brent,

That would take the "sport" out of it.  The welder really should attempt to break it while the hood is still down.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-19-2010 16:45
You are such a 'Sporting' guy Scott.  That would definitely make a wonderful video for training films.  'How to Properly Break a Fillet Weld Test'.  LOL.  Maybe you would like to be the star of our new training film??

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 08-19-2010 17:00
I'd like that.  Perhaps you're familiar with some of my other film work.  I had a "small" part in "Saving Ryans Privates", and this fall I play the lead in "Hung Like A Field Mouse".
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-19-2010 18:26
I don't suppose you have available copies of those fine works of art?  For public viewing?  Oh, you could just put them on U tube for all the world to see... LOL.

Have a Great Day,  Brent (guess I better stop hijacking this question of fillet weld tests, sorry)
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 08-19-2010 20:07
fbrieden,
while the sledgehammer technique is onr way to do it, we have a jig for a hydraulic porta pwer unit so I can bend them slowy and see what is going on in the joint during the testing.  If you whack it with a sledge, it there WAS any slag in the root, it most likely will be dislodged during the beatings, that's why I loke our set up casue I can bend it as much or as little and see if there is slag or LOF in the root, then I bend it all the way to see if it stays together or snaps in two.
I can't find the pics now, I try tomorrow.
Chris
"The beatings will continue until the coupon breaks or the welder passes!"
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 08-20-2010 18:32
here's our jig and set up.
Attachment: 100_1964.jpg (468k)
Attachment: 100_1959.jpg (585k)
Attachment: 100_1960.jpg (558k)
Attachment: 100_1961.jpg (613k)
Attachment: 100_1962.jpg (587k)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-20-2010 19:17
EEEK!

Unequal legs on 100_1960.jpg

:)
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 08-21-2010 23:35
i see that... i see no start/stop on 100_1964.jpg either
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 08-23-2010 10:17
Although you can't tell, there is a start stop on all the passes, not just the first pass.  I was standing there and I saw it personally.
We mainly do this test in addition to a full pen plate test to make sure guys can stack fillet welds.  We had a problem that guys could pass the full pen test, but coulndt stack fillet welds nice, and looked like crap, so to make sure they could do both, we do both tests.  It only takes a few minutes anyway to do the fillet test.
FYI this guy failed obviously.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 08-24-2010 20:46
Lawrance.
yeah, and my "throat" hurts :)
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-26-2010 16:41
Maybe he did started out with the hood down and the "recoil" is flipping it up?
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 08-26-2010 17:07
Chet,

Not if the shield has been retro fitted with an anti-recoil device that prevents the hood from flipping up.  I don't use a fancy anti-recoil device.  I just have a brick on a string tied to my hood.  To be honest with you, I don't use it during the break test.  I use it to meet girls.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-22-2010 19:27
I disagree with Al Moore's method of breaking the specimen. 

To me, the fillet break test is a great opportunity to really let the welder feel the difference between a good weld and a bad weld.  I define a bad weld as one  where the penetration does not reach the root.  I define a good weld as one where penetration does reach or go beyond the root.

If you make the welder break the coupon with a steady force applied through a lever, like a beam turner (Beam Peavee, Turning bar, Etc.), he will really feel the difference that 1/32 inch of bridged root makes when he finally gets the root right!  I have given hundreds of these tests, (usually 5 or 9 to each welder), and very few get the penetration to the root on the first try.   The effort required to break  the coupon the first time,when the root is bridged by that 1/64th or 1/32", is half what it takes when  the welder finally gets penetration to the root.  Even the dumbest of welders feel the difference.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-23-2010 14:51 Edited 08-25-2010 05:00
No argument with regards to the effectiveness of the turning bar Joe, but many shops don't have a table, bench, or turning bar that can do the job.

The last time I used a turning bar it was eight foot long and took two men to break a good weld. Their table was about 5 x 5 feet made of one inch plate and we had to chase it around the job. It was rather entertaining to say the least!

Best regard - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Fillet Weld Break Test