Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / welding defects
- - By mohamed radwan (*) Date 08-18-2010 18:36
hello all
i need an information about the welding defects and more pictures of them , and how to inspect them
thank  you all
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-18-2010 19:07 Edited 08-18-2010 19:58
Mohamed,

AWS publications B1.10:1999 & B1.11:2000 have excellent illustrations of discontinuities/defects and which examination methods to use in the inspection.

You would need to address the particular code being worked to in order to find Acceptance/Rejection standards for said discontinuities.  Each has different criteria as to the inspections standards for undercut, porosity, cracks, etc. 

Many of the other reference materials published by AWS also have pics and/or illustrations of discontinuities; WIT (Welding Inspection Technology), Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors, Welding Inspection Handbook, and even A3.0 Standard Welding Terms and Definitions has an area with illustrations of discontinuities.

Just for the record, they are normally termed 'Discontinuities' until such time as by measurement or other determining factors they are determined to be in excess of the 'Acceptance' criteria and are thus 'Rejectable'.  Many call it a 'Defect' at this point, it is properly a discontinuity which by nature or accumulated effect renders a part or product unable to meet minimum applicable acceptance standards (per A3.0 'Defect').

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-18-2010 19:59
Brent,
according to Brazilian welding standards, a "Discontinuity" is an acceptable lack of soundness of a weld, whereas "Defect" is a non acceptable lack of soundness.
Just for the record.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-18-2010 20:08
Interesting way of putting it Professor.

If you take the terms 'Defect', 'Discontinuity', 'Flaw', & 'Acceptable Weld' and compare their definitions in A3.0 it makes our meaning more clear and fairly close to the sense of your definitions.

A 'Discontinuity' is not necessarily 'rejectable'.  It all depends upon the code it is examined to.  But, at the same time, it would not ALWAYS be just an "acceptable lack of soundness". 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-18-2010 19:56
Mohamed,
I've got a complete set of drawings showing what discontinuities consist of. By looking at them, you'll understand what's "porosity", "worm holes", "slag inclusion" "lack of fusion" etc. etc.
Attention! I said drawings, not Xray pictures. They explain what discontinuities consist of, not how they look at Xray pictures. In any case, you won't recognize them on an Xray picture if first you don't know what they are.
They're not in electronic form, just printed. If you're interested, I'll mail a set to you by Non Priority Mail. They'll take about 25 days to reach you. You see, the whole set comprises some 20 pages, and it'll be too expensive to mail them by Priority Mail.
If you're interested, let me know your mailing address and I'll send them to you.     
Brent is right, you can order those standards from AWS, if you can afford to.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-18-2010 20:03
So right Professor, they will get expensive for most any of us if you try to buy all of them all at once.  I wouldn't recommend that.  But any of those publications will help out.

I'm sure there are others who can even post some pretty awesome pics of some 'BAD' welds with very obvious 'DEFECTS' since they would be well beyond Acceptable standards.  In fact, I'll have to get my lap top out, I just redid some work that I HAD to get pics of before I repaired it.  Beyond words.  I'll try to get you some posted in here soon.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By mohamed radwan (*) Date 08-19-2010 00:56
mohamedradwan1986@gmail.com
this is my e-mail
thx geovani
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-19-2010 14:37
Mohamed,

Notice he said they were in a printed format, NOT electronic.  He doesn't want your E-MAIL ADDRESS, he needs you to send him a PM with your personal snail mail address so he can send them to you.  AND, they will take almost a month to get there.  Truly, SNAIL MAIL.  But the cheapest way to do it in their current format.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-19-2010 20:20
Brent,
apparently, Mohamed didn't understand that the drawings I have are printed, not electronic, and can't be sent by e-mail. Thankyou for pointing this out.
The drawings are just that: hand made drawings showing what the discontinuities (porosity, lack of fusion, slag inclusion etc. etc.) consist of. They don't say whether the discontinuities are acceptable or not. For this, the applicable standards, some of which you listed on your posting, must be consulted.  
These drawings make part of the printed material I hand to my students to learn the subject I teach here at Mackenzie Presbyterian University in Sao Paulo. This printed material is called "apostila" in Portuguese, "apunte" in Spanish and "dispensa" in Italian. I don't know in English.
Why do I still use printed material instead of Power Point presentations saved in a CD? Because in this matter I'm old fashioned and think that engineering subjects should be studied on printed material (books, articles etc.) and not on Power Point presentations.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-19-2010 20:25
Giovanni,
Do you have a scanner on campus that you could use to scan these in and make them an electronic file such as a pdf?
- - By mohamed radwan (*) Date 08-19-2010 00:55
hello all
yes , i know that it's called discontiniuties or imperfections untill you compare it with the acceptance and rejection criteria , i juts want to simplify the topic i ask , and thx for all for helping me and i really understood and waiting from you to help me more
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-20-2010 02:22
AWS B1.11 Guide to Visual Inspedctin of Welds includes a number of pictures. The combination of B1.10 and B1.11 are a good combination that does a reasonable job of listing many common discontinuities.

AWS B1.11 is currently being revised, isn't quite ready for release. The revised guide contains a number of new photographs depicting typical welding discontinuities not included in the current edition and a few photos that are of better "views" that more clearly depict the discontinuities.

Best regards - Al
- By flaguy (*) Date 09-30-2010 02:06
This is a nice basic overview from Lincoln Electric.
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/wc514.pdf
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / welding defects