Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Please inturpert this weld symbol?
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-02-2010 02:43
How so Henry?

Best regards - Al ;)
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-04-2010 02:32
Checkmate! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 11-05-2010 23:49
Henry,
I have so much respect for Lar, Al, Giovanni,and yourself.
Teach me a couple things, about alum
Can I make an alum weld of least 110k psi?
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-06-2010 01:41
Not unless it is extruded around a piece of heat treated alloy steel.

Just kidding with you. I don't know of any straight alloy of aluminum that will attain an UTS in the 100 ksi range. Perhaps a composite, but I don't know of any off hand.

Al
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-08-2010 01:20
I've got to agree with Al to what he's saying... The only thing I'll add is this:

The only Aluminum alloy that may come close, yet still below a UTS of 100 ksi are the 7XXX Series Alloys – (heat treatable – with ultimate tensile strength of 32 to 88 ksi) These are the aluminum / zinc alloys (zinc additions ranging from 0.8 to 12.0%) and comprise some of the highest strength aluminum alloys. These alloys are often used in high performance applications such as aircraft, aerospace, and competitive sporting equipment. Like the 2xxx series of alloys, this series incorporates alloys which are considered unsuitable candidates for arc welding, and others, which are often arc welded successfully. The commonly welded alloys in this series, such as 7005, are predominantly welded with the 5xxx series filler alloys.

Hope this helps and if you want to know more about aluminum alloys, then please visit this link and explore it thoroughly:

http://www.alcotec.com/

There are other good sites and the Aluminum association can teach you more, and yet this is a good starting point IMHO. ;) hope this helps. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 03-22-2011 04:36
Hello guys,
Sorry to drag up an old post but I could do with some assistance regarding this issue.
We have got numerous tender drawings for a new wharf extension at an Iron Ore Mine in North Western Australia (AWS D1.1).
Hundreds of joints are shown with CP in the tail (with no symbol shown) but there are also hundreds of symbols showing a single bevel symbol with no other information.
Based on the discussions in this post regarding AWS D1.1 and AWS 2.4 it would appear to be CJP by default.
However, most of these are mitre joints on CHS, RHS and SHS with thickness being approx 3 mm (1/8").
As they are hollow sections it will have to be single sided welding - open root or root with backing.
Whichever way we go the costs will increase dramatically (we will have to radiograph small brackets as spec calls for 10% of all CJP).
Is there any other logical meaning for a single bevel symbol with no other information ?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 03-22-2011 17:08
"...regarding AWS D1.1 and AWS 2.4 it would appear to be CJP by default."

No longer true.  D1.1:2010 2.3.5.3 now says, … The welding symbol without dimension and without CJP in the tail designates a weld that will develop the adjacent base metal strength in tension and shear…  They changed it.

I've been waiting for someone to catch that but,...
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-22-2011 17:15
[quote]develop the adjacent base metal strength in tension and shear…[/quote]

Is that even possible without using a CJP?...I'm not wearing a train driver's cap so I'm not qualified to answer.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-22-2011 23:20
If you use the principle that the weld INCLUDING reinforcement could be the same thickness as the base material without having achieved 100% penetration through the root...YES.  Or, that the filler metal more than likely has a higher tensile strength than the base material... then, YES. 

But, how to prove in real application???   Can we say 'testing'???

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 03-23-2011 06:13
Shane,

Good day mate!

Here is my opinion.

The area in the tail can be used to provide references to specifications, processes, or other specific information. When no specification or other information is used, the tail is normally omitted. In groove welds (e.g. single bevel), if the size is not shown, I will consider it as complete joint penetration.

If the queries are significant for project tender, I will post questions by writing to the person responsible for the tender.

Regards
Joey
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 03-23-2011 06:18
Thanks for the responses guys,
Regards,
Shane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Please inturpert this weld symbol?
1 2 Previous Next