Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding helmets
- - By budman Date 08-29-2002 14:42
Hi all,

I'm a novice welder. I do some MIG and Plasma cutting on various auto projects, however I will be getting into TIG (on aluminum) within the next year.

I have to say that after trying an electronic helmet, I am hooked! My question is what type I should buy (I only want to do this once).

I see most of you like the Speedglas, but what about the Miller helmets? They seem to have the same adjustments with a slightly smaller viewing area. I plan to go down to the local welding supply and try some on, but I don't think they carry the Miller's - any suggestions?

Thanks,
Budman
Parent - By Ken Dougherty (**) Date 08-30-2002 06:27
I'm not sure I have the best answer for your question but I have some recent experience. The autodarkening was very appealing to me especially for GTAW. (I was playing with very low amp. e.g. 10A.) A salesman, probably trying to help me save money, sold me a Solex 2100. Well, that was ok for some general stick/higher amp welding but terrible for low amp/tig. It would "flash" or at times not even darken at the lower amp settings. Very distracting and or painful! A welding instructor I talked too recommended the SpeedGlass as have others. I took a different approach and tried a chin-lift helmet by Cherokee Industries, www.accustrike.com. I was a bit shy about trying another autodarkening lens, especially a pricy one. The chin-lift helmet is a bit heavy and takes some tinkering to adjust but it works fine for what I am doing at this point and a variety of lenses can be installed. Overall, I look at this like buying a computer. It is often best to consider what the use will be and what software will be used, then buy the hardware. If you find a good solution let me know. I may just start a hood collection.
Ken Dougherty
Parent - By airweld (**) Date 08-30-2002 16:39
I also had problems with the electronic hoods with TIG welding. Even the best ie. most expensive hoods are not reliable enough for me. Plus the visibility is way better with a regular hood. I use the chin operated hood and I think it's the best alternative to electronics. Especially if you need to SEE the puddle as I do. Try it, you'll like it. Scott
Parent - By dee (***) Date 08-30-2002 17:40
Bud-

I have a salesman who grants me enough courtesies that I felt obliged to buy something from him. Of the various shields he offered was a top line Jackson model with adjustable sensitivity, delay, and darkness controls. The battery is backed up by a solar cell and is a standard size (AAA) size available anywhere. The suspension system is a tiny bit cheezy, but the field of view is great; overall, so was the value.

Shop safety is an improtant feature of the field of view, as well as convenience (if not necessity) with corrective lenses I wear. The larger the view the better.
A mere 1/2 inch subtends a significant angle that close to your face and it translates into significant additional peripheral area.

I am happy with this product. I was living without one for many years, but, like a second bathroom in a house, one never knows how they got along without it. The cover lenses interchange with other hoods I already own- they are standard sizes, easy to find, and cheap, and although I only use it for light SMAW and GMAW I feel confident with adjustment range it has it can be tuned for anything. I also suspect the electronic lense can be transplanted into a helmet with superior mechanical characteristics and better suspension; so far it is not a real issue for me. Although changing tint is more convenient than changing lenses on my old hood I would find real value in a control I could adjust from the outside even while welding... and given enough time I'd probably break it off as well.

For what little it cost I am not married to the thing. As LCD technology continues to advance (or whatever is driving these things) and costs continue to fall I am sure this technology will find a place relegated to back-up or visitors spare equipment within the next decade or so. Consequently I was not ashamed to skimp on reputation and what might be considered quality or prestiege. I did not skimp, though, on field of view; get all you can and you will not regret it.

Overall, though, there are considerations of ventilation, comfort, and protection common to all welding shields, whatever the lenses, to consider as well... for me the field of view is top priority.

And thats my view on the topic-
good luck with your choice.
d
Parent - - By aircraft (**) Date 08-31-2002 06:08
let me tell you what happened the other day

we work almost on all metals from low to high amp settings, so the drive to have a auto darkening helmet with adjustable tint is very high. But the auto darkening helmets just do not work.....untill....
The jackson rep said that their new lens the Nexgen would solve all my problems. So at the cost of 300 dollars I got one. Everything worked great but when it came to aluminum the darkness would swim and then the helmet would just shut off. After calling Jackson I was informed that there was a software update and to please return it and they would send me a new one. The new one arrived and it works great this is the only helmet(and belive me I have tried them all) that works in all ranges with all metals that is worked with in our shop...I'm very impressed.
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 08-31-2002 11:35
Pardon the puns...

Thanks for the "heads up" about the software update; I will "look into it".

Presently, I dont work with the most troublesome processes that these electronic lenses may face, but if there is an update I am entitled to I am sure Jackson will provide it.

It is good to know about, and nice to know that apparently I have gotten my salesman broke in pretty well...

Speaking to the original thread, establishing and maintaining a good relationship with a supplier is an important consideration that every purchase should address.

Regards
d
Parent - By aircraft (**) Date 09-01-2002 16:06
to view the lastest update...push the up and down arrows and the on button at the same time. the latest update will display a 4 (as of June 2002) for a few seconds. The orignal lens I had displayed nothing.

To get the latest update you must be having touble.

It was explaned to me that the nexgen has a rom chip that was getting confused with the HF at low amp settings. I had played with the settings to max to min on all the controls. And Jackson was aware of the problem which I guess was why they were very fast to replaced the lens assy.
Parent - - By stich585 (*) Date 08-31-2002 17:34
My employer purchased 30 nexgen helmets for our staff about a month ago. I personally have used many different photo electric hoods over the years. You could say that I have an extensive "hood collection". In my opinion this is an excellent lens. The capability to select grinding and cutting is a nice safety feature. I have not found a problem that the delay and sensetivity could not fix. And the view area is truly incredible. I am planning on purchasing one of these helmets for my home "collection".

P.S. I have never tried a chin lift hood. It might be worth taking a look at.
Parent - - By boilermaker (**) Date 09-03-2002 01:39
I've used the Nexgen from Jackson, but personally, for light weight, and flexibility in processes, the old speedglas XL still holds tops in my book...I know. I have four of them..along with two 9000 series, X and V, and two APC-V's...I guess that I'm a Hornell freak and they've always taken care of me in warranty or repair work.... Just my opinion, but I don't like Jackson shadow welding hoods...
Parent - By aircraft (**) Date 09-03-2002 06:40
Hey I do like the speedglass, but when I'm talking low amps I'm talking 10amps DC and about 30amps AC. That's where we were having our problems with the autodarking.
Parent - By jffluxcore (**) Date 09-19-2002 22:26
If anybody has experence with electronics hoods. How does Jackson NexGen compare to Optrel satellite hood. A supply said both of these helmet are the most popular. Thanks Jim
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding helmets