Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / function of flux
- - By vivek Date 08-26-2010 09:11
During SMAW the solidified layer of flux deposits over the weld bead, because flux being lighter in density compared to weld bead.But during over head welding why not this flux go up.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-26-2010 12:04
It has been answered before. Do a search.

Al
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 08-26-2010 16:42
vivek, are you serious? Do You really belive gravity is what causes the joining of material? I really am not trying to talk down to you but if that is the case you really need to stop and think about it a little harder.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-27-2010 01:44
It has been said there are only 3 things You need to know to be an engineer:

1) Water runs down hill.

2) You can't push a rope.

3)When You fart in the bathtub, the bubbles go up.

I guess You don't need to know about surface tension to be an engineer.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 08-27-2010 12:13
Surface Tension aside, I believe that common sense should prevail and one should be able to understand when you are alloying material the slag, gangue or flux would be forced (pushed) aside and that’s not even considering the state of the flux being any where from a plasma shield to a gas.

But, in all seriousness should the flux (shielding) attempt to rise (as we know it would), compared to the heaver metal where would it go?

Now if someone ask why sometimes the flux stays and the puddle falls down, I can think of lots of illogical explanations but none of the ever work.

Why can't you push a rope??? Seeing as how its so much lighter it ougth to be easier than pushing a chain.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-28-2010 01:30
I used to work with a guy who would goad someone into asking Him why He was draging a chain. He would respond "Because it's too hard to push".
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-28-2010 13:40
LOL, what about a frozen rope????

Ok, I will go to the corner now.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-27-2010 15:36
The flux/slag IS going up. Overhead welding is just like flat. Except upside down.
When you are welding flat the slag goes to the top of the weld pool.
When you are welding overhead the slag still goes to the top of the weld pool. The weld pool is just upside down.
And I aint no engineer.
Parent - - By Steve.E (**) Date 08-29-2010 04:11
Even in Australia   lol
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-30-2010 06:15
Cruelty !!!!!!   LOL    the flux only floats up or down to the surface if you lay it down right

even in Australia
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-30-2010 12:57
Its not up or down. Its matter of being rejected from the solidification front whether its up down side ways or in front of.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 08-30-2010 14:58
In Australia it would go off to the left side but In China; who knows where things might wind up.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-31-2010 02:38
In China, it would probably be included in the weld puddle :-)
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-31-2010 16:27
oooh!  What you said!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / function of flux