Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Where can I get AWS-Standards - questions from a German
- - By Puufi Date 08-31-2010 08:26
Hello,

my name is Alex and I am working for a germany Industrial truck producer as a Compliance Engineer (Qualification: international Welding Engineer).
We have a big customer in Washington, USA and therefor we have to comply with the required standards.
Inter alia we got specifications to the welding technique. So where can I get the following standards? I can´t get any information on the AWS-homepage!
1. AWS B3.0-41 (Standard Qualification Procedure)
2. AWS D8.4-61 (Recommended Practices for Automotive Welding Design
3. AWS D10.9-69 (Standard Qualifications of Welding Procedures and Welders for Pipe and Tubing)
4. AWS D1.1-1990 (Structural Welding Code)

Thanks in advance!

sincerely

Alex
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 08-31-2010 09:02
Puufi
Welcome to the forum.
The Standards you listed are all old and have been updated a few times, generally when the engineer lists a standard they add or "latest edition".
At the top of the AWS Website there is a bar, SERVICES BOOKSTORE CERTIFICATION EDUCATION COMMITTEES & SECTIONS CAREERS WELDING SHOW MEMBERSHIP
Click on Book Store or follow this link there.

http://www.awspubs.com/

And here is a link to the Summer Catalog

http://files.aws.org/catalogs/aws_cat-2010.pdf

Again Welcome to the American Welding Society Online Forum.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By Puufi Date 08-31-2010 11:21
Hi Marshall,

thanks for the kind welcome to the American Welding Society Forum.

You are absolutely right, the engineer added the "latest edition".

I will search the webpage and hopefully find the actual standards.

My first impression from the American Standard System is, that it is quite difficult to understand. For the European Market, it is well-arranged. But just the first impression.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Puufi
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 08-31-2010 14:04
Many people say that AWS D1.1 is difficult to follow, but it does have a really excellent index.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 08-31-2010 14:40 Edited 08-31-2010 14:49
I've seen a chinese version :)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-31-2010 15:18
Alex,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Marshall already gave you the routes to find the materials you are looking for.  You will notice when you find the reference materials that there is also a section that has items especially for 'Automotive'.  There may be some materials there that would be of benefit even if your customer does not reference them in the contract.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.  Lots of very knowledgeable people here with a wide varieity of experience, skills, and education.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-02-2010 04:55
In one case the alpha numerical designation has changed. I believe B3.0 is now B2.1 Specification for Welding Procedure and Performance Qualification.

You should ask your customer for clarification and verify they are in agreement with the appropriate editions of the applicable standards they want you to use. They do have a responsibilitiy to list the proper standards and editions they expect you to use.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Puufi Date 09-02-2010 06:08
Hey Al,

thank you so far.
It´s not such easy because it is a big customer influencial customer.
We got the list of standard and we have to comply with that. I think it is nonprofessional to ask again.
I have really big problems to find the correct standards, becaucse of the numerical designation that has changed.
Could you support me in findig out the valid standards based on the list of my first statement?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-02-2010 06:21
Why do you think it's unprofessional to ask the customer who is demanding specs that in some of your examples may be over a decade out of date?

Why do you think it's more professional to ask total strangers on an internet forum?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-02-2010 06:58
There are a multitude of reasons your customer may be requesting work to codes that are not of the latest edition.
Parent - - By Puufi Date 09-02-2010 07:48
I think,
the specs got developed 10y ago and says, ...or the latest.
So it is my job to find out the latest version of the standard.
No need for a request!
My probleme is just to find out the latest version based on the version which is maybe 10y old.

So I´m loooking for a list or something similar to find the latest update of the requested standards.

Maybe AWS offers booklets to understand the system of the US (welding) standards?

Regards,

Alex
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-02-2010 08:24
In very general terms, many of AWS publications are on a 2 year or 3 year schedule, this depends on ANSI Standard for renewal or revalidation.  AWS D1.1 will be changing to a 5 year schedule as I understand.  The latest of each of the AWS Standards you mentioned is shown in the AWS Catalogue on their website.
- - By Puufi Date 09-02-2010 10:52
Hey Jon,
ok, but how can I find the latest updates?
In the catalogue I can find Nr. 4 (circa 500$) but the otheres are not listed.
I appreciate that these are the "old numbers", but where do I find a schedule which compares the "old" and "new" standards?
For example:
old: AWS B3.0-41  --> new: AWS B2.5

Thanks
Alex 

1. AWS B3.0-41 (Standard Qualification Procedure)
2. AWS D8.4-61 (Recommended Practices for Automotive Welding Design
3. AWS D10.9-69 (Standard Qualifications of Welding Procedures and Welders for Pipe and Tubing)
4. AWS D1.1-1990 (Structural Welding Code)
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-02-2010 12:46
You will not be able to find the versions mentioned below unless they are purchased from a collector of antique technical standards!

So, reading your earlier post: "I think,
the specs got developed 10y ago and says, ...or the latest. (jon20013, OR THE LATEST)
So it is my job to find out the latest version of the standard.
No need for a request!
My probleme is just to find out the latest version based on the version which is maybe 10y old."

I recommend you buy the latest versions which will be those listed in the AWS publications catalogue.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-02-2010 13:49
Puufi,
  Here you go. The latest and greatest.

https://www.awspubs.com/allprods.php?osCsid=087bc68a160d0b9098b3b1b019b9b754

jrw159
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-04-2010 11:08
Puufi,

Besides the numbers changing over the years, I believe we are also dealing with a language difference.

One of the key things to look at will be the title of the document.  That should be very close to the same as the old title.  Then check out the description and see what it applies to.  As Al stated, some of the designator numbers have changed over that broad time frame.

You may actually be better off to make direct contact with someone in the publications department with AWS instead of here on the forum.  They may be able to help you cross reference your documents with more 'Professional' accuracy. 

Look over the entire publications list that John (jrw) linked as that may have some new documents that were not available back when your other ones were new.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Puufi Date 09-06-2010 09:59
Hey Brent,
thanks for your response!

the biggest prolem for me is, that all the postet links lead to lists which contain mostly "historical" standards.
For example this link  https://www.awspubs.com/allprods.php?osCsid=087bc68a160d0b9098b3b1b019b9b754.
I will search for "AWS D1.1-1990 (Structural Welding Code)"... AWS D1.1 is now "METRIC WELDING GUIDE" so I´m not sure weather the Numers have changed or the name has changed and the content is the same or anything else.
So I just know that our machine shall comply with the standards I mentioned one or two weeks before.
Maybe it will be the best way to contact someone in the publications department.
Maybe I need to know how the entire AWS-standard-systems works.

Thank you very much for your support and have a great day.

Greeting from Germany,

Alex
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Where can I get AWS-Standards - questions from a German