Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tubular Structures
- - By BankerQC (*) Date 09-03-2002 21:20
Seeking advice on code (AWS D1.1) applicabiltity on tubular structures.
We are fabricating a structure and I am seeking advice on the aplicabilty of various code sections to the diiferent types of joint configurations involved. Specifically, We have a 2" plate joined to a 16" diameter pipe 10mm wall thick. at approximatly a 45 deg. angle. Would the sections governing "T","Y",and"K" connections govern ? this application.
Would really like to speak with an individual familier with off-shore platforms.

Thanx,
BobC
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 09-07-2002 21:32
Banker:
I spent about 9 months and 6 kms into the Persian Gulf as a QA inspector monitoring pressure piping/vessel and structural welding activities including well heads, scraper launchers and sampling sites. I hope this satisfies your reply requirements.

I currently have several projects underway, including a client with the same joint configuration with the same size pipe w/25 mm wall thickness and plate of approximately the same thickness at skewed angles, some which exceed the prequalification requirement. Please note this is a structural application for architectural purposes.

I'm sure you have already referred to Figures 3.8 - 3.10. Also check out 2.36.6.7 for thickness and fatigue limitations and prequalification. You did not mention PJP, CJP or fillet welds.

I would define your connection as a T, Y or K (as applied to your specific application). Enhanced weld profiles were always a consideration for these joint and weld types for offshore applications and the WPS (and PQR when required) had to comply with these requirements.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tubular Structures