Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Production Welder tests
- - By Bryan Bidewell (*) Date 09-03-2010 13:54
Having established a PQR and WPS i now need to qualify a different welder. I have done this many times by setting up test pieces etc however on this occasion i am on a very tight schedule and lack materials to do this, is it therefore possible to qualify a welder by testing 'on the job'? I can't find any reference to this in AWSD1.1?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-03-2010 14:33
Under the auspices of D1.1, I don't believe you can. I saw no provisions for qualifing a welder on a production part during my "quick" review of the new 2010 edition.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 09-03-2010 15:29
I once worked for a guy who ran an ad in the paper for a layout-fitter.  For their test he had them each fit two angle iron frames together.  One to see if they knew how and the second to see if they could get faster.  After the frames were all fit he ran an ad for a welder and their test was to weld a frame.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-03-2010 15:46
While the tests you described provides the employer with the information he is looking for, it does nothing relative to meeting the code requirement to qualify welders by testing.

However, you did make a perfectly ligimate point that such "tests" can be a valuable tool to determine if the candidate has the necessary skill sets to meet the employer's needs.

My first job as a welder was secured after showing the shop owner I could weld a vertical fillet weld. His comment was, "I'm not interested in you being able to tell me you know how to weld, I want you to show me you know how to weld." At which point he set up two plates and handed me a "stinger" with a couple of E6010 electrodes.

"Put up or shut up."

I went to work as a welder the next morning. Now that same company is one of my clients.

Recently the shop foreman told me, "I never thought we would be asking for your advice on how to weld something back when we first interviewed you." He and I started working there about the same time 40+ years ago.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-03-2010 18:29
I was at an inteview/test back in the 80's..

The foreman told me to practice on scrap out of the barrel while he sheared up some thin plate for a TIG test.

So I grabbed a couple of pop cans and welded them together to get the feel for the AC balence on their old machine..

He saw those and said..  "test over"..  Get your tool box.  I spent my first day on that job welding together budwiser cans so that he could drop them off to his clients.

Code tests are relevant if your working to code.

Other tests may be more relevant and can be added to the code.

Other specs.. D17 for example has provisions for actual parts production or mock-ups of production work in order to satisfy both PQR and welder performance testing.
Parent - - By tlk1 Date 09-03-2010 20:25
Did you have to empty the cans before welding.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-03-2010 20:46

>grin<

Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-04-2010 01:47
Let's see......if we "test" enough fitters by having each one fabricate a beam; then we "test" enough welders by having them weld those beams... Look out China! We can give you a run for your money.
Parent - - By wldgengr (*) Date 09-07-2010 16:45
See if the second paragraph under 4.19.1.1 of D1.1 2006 covers what you are wanting to do.  The way I read it is that instead of mechanical testing or RT testing of qualification test samples, the first fifteen inches of a production groove weld can be tested by RT and used to qualify the welder.
Parent - By sooeey2u (*) Date 09-07-2010 16:56
I have qualified welders to production welds using RT of first 15 inches of weld but only if I am assured of their experience and ability.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-07-2010 19:54 Edited 09-09-2010 20:04
Good catch! I passed that wee clause by without noticing it. Learn something new everyday if you keep your eyes and ears open.

I given this a little more thought. I don't believe this is applicable to GMAW short circuiting transfer.

Then it comes to mind, how much weld is actually subject to RT anymore? Most of the work done to D1.1 requirements are examined by VT, MT, maybe some PT, and more UT than RT. I can't remember the last time I've been involved in RT on a D1.1 application. It seems that UT has replaced RT in most situations. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-14-2010 03:22
It seems like we have spent considerable time debating the issue of the types and configurations of the tests used to qualify welders. The discussion was timely.

I had an interesting conversation with a QC manager this afternoon on the subject of qualifying a welder. He asked if it was reasonable and appropriate to qualify a welder using a one inch thick grooved plate with a backing bar. So far, so good. Once the weld is completed the welder flushes off the backing bar. Then the welder back gouges the root side of the groove to "sound" metal and back welds the excavation.

At that point I must have winced, because he asked, "Is there a problem with that procedure?"

My response was, "If you have to ask if the test is appropriate, you must have some reservations of your own."

He said it gets better. "My inspector is telling me the one test qualifies the welders to meet the requirements of ASME, AWS D1.1, and D1.5."

I told him that if he has any concerns, ask the inspector to justify his position by listing the applicable clauses that permit or allow the welders to be qualified in such a manner. The inspector would have to justify his position for each of the three codes cited.

Since we had D1.1-2008 handy, I used the following as a basis of my position it didn't meet D1.1 requirements.

Clause 4.19.1 Welders and Welding Operators. The type and number of qualification tests required for welders or welding operators shall conform to Table 4.11.

The key work being "shall" indicating the type of tests listed are mandatory. 

Table 4.11 provides the following:

For qualifications on plate:

Type of Test Weld (applicable figures) - 3/8 inch thick plate - Figure 4.31 or 4.32
                                                        for plate thicker than 3/8 inch, but less than 1 inch - Figure 4.21, 4.22, or 4.30
                                                        1 inch thick  or thicker plate - Figure 4.21, 4.22, or 4.30

Each of the figures utilize a backing bar, a 45 degree groove angle, and a 1/4 inch root opening. None of the figures or provisions cited mention the use back gouging of the root side (after removing the backing bar).

Once again, I found no code provisions that permit alternative groove details for welder qualification testing on plate. Even for tubulars, the pipe diameter and wall thickness can vary, but the groove details are specified in detail, i.e., Figure 4.24 has a detail for open root, i.e., no backing bar utilized, and a detail for grooves welded with backing. No provisions are made for variations in groove angles, root opening etc.

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly entertain alternatives to my justification if you can support your position with applicable code provisions from any edition of D1.1-2006 through 2010. Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'm more than happy to learn something new. Is there something in the code that I'm overlooking?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-14-2010 11:46
"He asked if it was reasonable and appropriate to qualify a welder using a one inch thick grooved plate with a backing bar. So far, so good. Once the weld is completed the welder flushes off the backing bar. Then the welder back gouges the root side of the groove to "sound" metal and back welds the excavation."-quote Al

I have to ask why the QC manager in question is having the welder backgouge during a performance test when AWS D1.1:2008 Clause 4.23 specifically notes:

AWS D1.1:2008 Clause 4.23
"Note that qualification on joints with backing qualifies for welding production joints that are back gouged and welded from the second side."
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-14-2010 11:58
I suspect it is becuse during shop trials, when the backing bar is removed that sufficient fusion does not exist on the back side of the root.  :)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-14-2010 12:37
L,
That would be scary.....yikes.

on a similar note.....I tested a couple of guys on FCAW, out of position (3G&4G) with a Self-Shielding wire for an erector and when I cut the 1" plates up into 3/8" wide strips the backing bar fell off...literally fell off. They had a slim line of slag at the root and there was absolutely no pentration into the backing bar at all. I stopped right there, and said "no need to bend those"...LOL
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-15-2010 03:12
The qualification test described is the "typical" test administered to their welders. The back gouging operation wasn't something particular to this one plate, but normal for all the tests administered.

While the clause cited states the welder qualified with backing is qualified for grooves that are back gouged, it doesn't state that the back gouge operation is part of the qualification test.

So, the question stands, where is it stated that any tests other than those depicted in the figures listed in table 4.11 are acceptable per D1.1?

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Production Welder tests