Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / BUILDING MY OWN WELDING BED
- - By dg09 (**) Date 09-06-2010 02:55
just wanted to start getting material for my welding bed build and wanted to get some input on plate size etc....
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 09-06-2010 03:15
I think most people use 3/16" for the deck and 1/8" or thinner for the skirt.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-11-2010 20:53
My bed is just what they call a "hay hauler", bought it because did not have time to build one in a hurry. It's all 1/8" plate with 4" channel runners from wheel to wheel sitting on 4" channel on the frames. I've beat, hammered, dropped and abused the work area at the end of the bed and have yet to dent it. I think the spacing between your channel going side to side would be a key item here. To far apart and you'll have less strength, support on the plate. After loading up all of my gear for normal jobs the truck tips the scales at 9500lbs before I added the larger oxygen and acetylene tanks. I plan on a larger welder at one point which will add an additional 600lbs.

Ideas I have had, full on aluminum bed. Surely enough weight in the bed with the gear that we haul to compensate. Another idea I have tossed around is maybe not a full on aluminum bed(cost) but some way to incorporate an aluminum deck. Obviously could not be welded to the steel but have been giving thought to this idea as that would lighten the load. Not sure how much could be lossed with this idea since most of the weight, on my bed in particular is in the channel under the truck.

I suppose it depends on the truck your driving to. If your in a standard F350, 3500 Dodge or Chevy then the bed weight could be an issue if you decide to haul trailers and such. Everything you put on the truck takes away from your GVWR(think that's right). If your in a F450/550 or 4500/5500 Dodge then it's not that big of a deal. Got a buddy that has a F550 and said the truck tips the scales around 18k!!!! Then throw in the type of work you do. My buddy has a crane, tools galore and an SAE400. Your standard pipeline guy barely has enough to fill the cab of the truck from some pictures I've seen! Good luck and post pics of your bed when you get it done. Always looking for new ideas. Saw a guy on youtube that had electric actuated doors!! That was slick!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-11-2010 20:56
oh yeah, and my gooseneck is all tied in with the 4" channel underneath, which is attached to the frame with bolts. My bed is 8' long, buddy has a 9' bed. Lot's more room at the back on his bed then what I have on mine, that's also something to consider.
- By dg09 (**) Date 09-06-2010 03:26
thats what i was guessing im gonna go with that.  thx
- - By C6.7weldrig (**) Date 09-06-2010 13:37
Most people overbuild thier welding beds BIG TIME. ...1/8" deck is plenty
I build the frames from 1/8" square/rectangle tubing and use 1/8" sheet steel for the floor/deck and sides.
I see so many guys build their beds sooo heavy and all that does is limit the amount of weight they can haul on it.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-06-2010 17:08
Sure would hate to hook up a Fifth wheel hitch that is welded on to a peice of 1/8 plate. Or have to work off of it and watch the heat destroy it.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-06-2010 17:18
So what do you say Dwayne?

You must have built a few of these in your day.

Is 3/16 heavy enough?   or do you only put the heavy stuff on the attach points and specific areas where you might do some hot work?

I've never done this kind of stuff but get questions all the time from folks that think they want to build mobil rigs..  Would be good to know.
Parent - - By C6.7weldrig (**) Date 09-06-2010 19:28
What kind of moron would hook a fifth wheel to a peice of 1/8" plate????
My bed is constucted from 1/8" tubing and 1/8" plate... and i have a 30,000lb+ gooseneck hitch that has pulled unbelievable loads.
The main framerails of the bed are made from 4" heavy c-channel that is boxed-in around the gooseneck hitch.  Tieing the 2 rails togather is a piece of 3/4"x12" plate where the goosenech hitch ball is mounted.  The bed is bolted to the frame in 4 spots per side with 3/4" bolts per side plus the rear reciever hitch which is part of the bed is bolted on with 4-1/2" bolts per side.
The entire bed is indestructable and doesnt weigh more than 1,000-1200 lbs MAX.
Its called engineering...and most people have no clue when it comes to building things (like welding beds) and build them rediculously overkill for no reason other than they dont know any better.
My point was that i see welding beds every day that are sooo overbuilt and heavy that all they are doing is using up precious payload capacity.
I need my truck to be able to haul as much weight as possible.
There is absolustely no reason to build a bed out of 3/16" and 1/4' plate
Parent - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 09-06-2010 19:58 Edited 09-06-2010 21:49
So, I guess by this info, my 42" x 84" x 3/8" plate work surface is too much??
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-06-2010 21:00 Edited 09-06-2010 21:02
My bed is built out of 3/16 deck and sides. I have a peice of 3/8 in the work area and where my Hitches mount.(Most of the Top Rear Deck) My Gooseneck Ball and Fifth wheel rails are welded directly to the deck, with the center being 24" behind the Axle. I have a Vantage 500, 2 Ox, 2 Acet, Full set of reels, Plenty of rods and tools. The toungue weight on my Fifth wheel is 2400 lbs.It is 40'. I also have a 40' Gooseneck. I have pulled both of them over the country. And I have all this on a One Ton Ford.
Parent - By weaver (***) Date 09-06-2010 22:11
i wasn't going to say anything, but all the beds up here are at least 1/4'' everywhere,  except the skirt.. my  "work bench" is 3/8'' other wise the heat WILL  warp it..
- - By C6.7weldrig (**) Date 09-06-2010 20:45
I guess i did leave that out.... I have built several welding beds with a rear section that is heavier for a work area.... But the entire top of the bed doesnt need to be that heavy.
On my bed i built a slide out, removable work table that slide into a track under the bed. It is a 3x8" x 32" x 60" piece of steel.
I think some of you may be missing my point, all im saying is that i see welding beds eveyday that are made completely out of 1/4" and 3x8" plate, ect., and they are usually built that way because the person who built it doesnt know any better.
Don't take it personal just because you dont agree.
The guy asked for opinions/suggestions and this is my opinion.
Parent - By Paladin (***) Date 09-07-2010 00:54
I would tend to agree with C6.7weldrig. The last bed I built was out of 10ga, tool boxes out of 12ga if I remember right. Like C6.7weldrig I did have a frame around the hidden gooseneck hitch. Meat in the right places and everything else light as possible. Why tote the extra weight. I have never worked much off the back of my bed. For one thing I don't care to cut or weld on a vibrating surface. I usually can have things waist level with pipe stands or I  bring along light weight steel sawhorses.

One other tool I have found very valuable is a homemade pipe stand with a flat surface, 6"x12", that I can work off of. You can clamp small pieces to cut, grind, or fab, hold things that don't sit in a pipe stand V, sit on it, or as a dinner table. Works for me.

Floyd
Parent - - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 09-07-2010 01:46
Do you have any pics of your rig? I would like to see it.
Parent - - By C6.7weldrig (**) Date 09-07-2010 02:00
If you refering to me.... i was going to post some pix anyway.
I'll post a few tomarrow night if i can find the time.
Parent - - By hollywood1176 (*) Date 09-07-2010 14:57
I tend to engineer things to do the job at hand and not overkill it. But of course in the mine everything is overkilled from the welds to the fabricated parts. Id say build it to meet the needs of your day to day work. I would hate to think I was hauling more metal around than I needed, after all there not giving fuel away. It just my two cents.
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 09-08-2010 01:37 Edited 09-08-2010 01:45
If in doubt, build it like the Bismarck! (Especially when CN is involved!)
- By dg09 (**) Date 09-12-2010 02:38
i agree with you totally c67.  im all about the engineering side of it.  im planning on putting a gooseneck hitch for sure to haul horses.  im probably still gonna somehow use my reciever hitch too.  im trying to use this google sketch to design it but trying to to figure it out still.  pictures would be appreciated of your bed.  im still kinda leaning towards my buddies bed.  he did tell me he used 3/16 plate on top and skirts.  i couldnt believe that he did weld his 5th wheel to the back of the bed and its held up.  he went to pennsylvania back to san antonio then to florida and no problems.  engineering.  i do think that it is bolted to the frame and welding out with 7018.  thx for everyones info keep em coming.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / BUILDING MY OWN WELDING BED