Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / my welder is qualified in the 1G position Up hill,can he wel
- - By meetarun72 Date 09-08-2010 04:51
my welder is qualified in the 1G position Up hill,can he weld inthe downhill position in 1G
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-08-2010 06:22 Edited 09-08-2010 06:39
Hi meetarun72!

First of all, WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM!!! :) :) :)"

There is no "uphill or downhill' position when one refers to the 1G position - PERIOD! There is a "left to right" or visa-versa as well as a push or drag angle because technically, the 1G position is to be properly interpreted by understanding that the number one (1) means flat position of weld deposit and the letter "G" following it as representing a "Groove" weld deposit... Now there is some deviation to that position where one may find themselves depositing weld metal on an upward incline or a downward incline as well, yet only up to a specific degree angle axis limit otherwise known as the "inclination of axis" which is 0 to 15 degrees and a rotation of face limit of 150 degrees to 210 degrees...

1 = Flat, 2 = Horizontal & pipe with a vertical pipe axis with the weld deposited on a horizontal axis (Please refer to figure 16C to see that the inclination of weld axis limitation from 80 up to 90 degrees for a complete circumferential horizontal groove weld deposit found on page 67 of AWS A3.0 - 2001 or a more recent edition: "Standard Welding Terms and Definitions."),3 = Vertical, 4 = Overhead, 5 = Horizontal pipe axis with the weld deposited on to either vertical up or down axis, and then there's the infamous 6 which equals a pipe axis of 45 degrees which would also result in depositing a 45 degree weld axis as well... There are some other "specialized positions' not mentioned also, but i won't list them in order not to overwhelm you with too much information.. You can view them in the last link below. ;)

One can find this information  in the AWS publication: AWS A3.0 2001 or a more recent edition if available as well as in some previous ones also on page 65 where the Welding position diagram for groove welds in plate is shown (Figure 16A) in the 2001 edition: "Standard Welding Terms and Definitions." Similar diagrams can also be found in the AWS D1.1 Structural welding Code - Steel as well in some other codes also.

There is also a Welding position diagram for groove welds in pipe on page 67 (Figure 16C)... Finally, one must read the general notes in each separate diagram order to properly understand the above mentioned diagrams. Hopefully I didn't confuse you further with this explanation. ;) Clear as mud huh? :)

Well, fortunately I have a link to someone much better qualified than myself who just happens to have a Powerpoint presentation that provides a much clearer visual explanation of the various welding positions and IMHO, is second to none! Here's the link to the .ppt titled: "Understanding "Position" in Welding" by Walter Sperko .ppt for download:

http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/Position.ppt

Here is also a link from "The Fabricator' publication which refers to the same .ppt presentation listed above:

http://www.thefabricator.com/article/arcwelding/welder-training-essentials-positioning-it-right

Here's another one from www.gowelding.org with photographs of each of the positions mentioned as well as other that were not also:

http://www.gowelding.org/Welding_Certification.html

I almost forgot to include this link also:

http://www.weldprocedures.com/weld-joints-and-welding.html

The answer to your question would be "yes" as long as the inclination of axis of the groove does not exceed 15 degrees in the flat position only according to all of the information listed above. ;) The best way to be sure is to read all of the above info and then you should know for sure. :) :) ;)

So I leave you with this question... Could you have possibly meant to write a "3G" position instead in your original post?

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / my welder is qualified in the 1G position Up hill,can he wel