Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / extension cord
- - By Goose (**) Date 09-04-2002 20:22
I have a 40' 6 awg extension cord to power my new Millermatic 251 Mig welder.

Is this an acceptable extension cord to power this machine and now see any output loss of the machine? If I remember correct, the continious and peak current capacity of this wire was rated for the current draw of this machine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Todd G
Parent - By jgarden Date 09-05-2002 01:55
I think that should be fine. #6 is a pretty good size wire.
Parent - By dee (***) Date 09-05-2002 22:34
Goose
I think you might want to briefly consider the length in total from your distribution box and the gauge of the feed from it to the outlet you will be using for the extension... perhaps verify it's gauge is also sufficient.

Depending on the length of the run 6# should carry 50A. An extra 40' to the original run may cause a problem.

I am excited that I can finally use my handy Chromalox voltage drop table for your application, unfortunately I forgot how to use it (been about 38 years) but it indicates a drop of 1% at: 18'@120V, 37'@240V and 74'@480V
Honestly, I am subject to correction here but my guess is your 40' cord might leave little total margin. I am under the impression the source of power should be considered the distribution box and not the outlet; be sure the entire run is properly engineered.

Regards,
d
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-06-2002 05:20
It's likely that the voltage regulator on the output side will automatically compensate for any primary side voltage drop. If your manual mentions brownout protection this is almost certainly so.

Bill
Parent - - By oldkid (*) Date 09-07-2002 01:47
Absolutely check the wire size from the breaker box to the plug! I was an Air Conditioning contractor for 13 years and saw quite a few units that were under size wired. To figure the wire size properly you will need the amp draw or manf. suggested breaker size from your unit and the TOTAL length from the breaker to your unit, not the plug. You will need to measure as the wire is placed, not as the crow flies if you catch my drift. Add in all the little curves bends etc that wire makes as it is installed. Dont stop at your plug, keep going to the FURTHEST location you will use your welder and that will be your total length. Once wire size is figured you simply need to make an extention cord out of that size wire (If the existing wire is the correct size or larger) If the existing wire from the breaker to the plug is smaller than you figure it needs to be, DO NOT use the plug even with oversize wire from the plug to your welder. I've seen to many ruined units, burned up breaker boxes and burned down houses. If you cant find the correct information you need e-mail me and I will figure it all out for you. Just my opinion though the ultimate decision is yours.....

Good Luck

Mark
A44YROLDKID@CS.COM
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 09-07-2002 03:42
My Hobart Betamig 200 draws 18 amps using .035 wire at the fastest wire speed I use.
Parent - By alumtuna Date 09-07-2002 14:34
Goose,

I did the same thing on my Miller 250X a while back.
2 points i want to make.

Make sure you count all of the wire from the breaker to the welder via the planned extension cord. This would let you sleep at night.

And 2 double check the Miller Welds.com web site. The info I received from the manual (that came w/ the welder from Miller) and the website install have similar but different info.

Regards
Parent - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-27-2003 01:15
I am a pro at this I got many 250 amp stick welders and i have 65 foot of #6 AWG Extension cord and if it runs off a 220 go for it that's what I use.It runs good for me.Real Well.But I wouldn't go over a 100' because it might be a loss of power and I said Might but 65' works real well for my welder.
Parent - By Ken Dougherty (**) Date 07-29-2003 04:47
Todd,
Just another opinion and comment. I think Dee and oldkid are giving you some good info. Seems to me the issue is not only will the machine work but will the circuits not dangerously overheat and burn. You might not realize a wire in a wall is getting hot.

Also, a question for the electricians out there. Even if a wire does not have a chance to overheat to the point of burning does cycling the welder tend to negatively impact mechanical wiring connections due to the expansion and contraction of "moderately" exceeding the current capability of the circuit? Seems that if that was the case, the circuit would fail in the best case situation and result in higher resistance and more heat in the worst case situation.
Ken
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / extension cord