Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 99 classic IIID/electrical problem
- - By louieRD (**) Date 09-14-2010 19:56
Does anyone have any suggestions on what causes a machine to go dead after a few days? I replaced battery and alternator,also alternator has four posts, could someone confirm what wires  connect to what posts (prestolite alt, with 2 wire voltage regulator on side) any experienced input would be greatly appreciated, jump starting it every couple days is not good, does anyone have their machine wired off their truck alternator?
Parent - - By hillbilly (**) Date 09-14-2010 22:19
You can take test light and find anything that might be drawing juice while not running.

I moved the battery of my SA and put in under the hood of my truck. Run lead for my cables to my machine with Tweco disconnects to isolate should I need to remove it. My trucks alternator charges both batterys.
Parent - By louieRD (**) Date 09-15-2010 04:11
thanks for the quick reply,ill be doing both of those tomm., good to here from someone who's already done it
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 09-17-2010 21:14
If I knew your code I could get you a wiring schematic.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 09-23-2010 20:10
Get rid of the Prestolite and put a AC Delco on.  Cost less and easier to fix down the road.  Lots of Prestolite stuff is obsolete now too they dropped parts for them. 

http://www.prestolite.com/
- By rondar (*) Date 09-15-2010 18:07
I carry a set of 20' jumper cables made from #4 welding lead just for this .....Instead of buying a $400-$600 prestolite alternator...I changed mine with a Chevy single post alternator....works fine and only costs around $80.00.....Good Luck!!!
                                   RJS
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 99 classic IIID/electrical problem