Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Curse you Hypertherm!!!!
- - By devo (***) Date 09-20-2010 11:11
So I finally sucked it up and bought a plasma cutter.  Part of the reason I chose Hypertherm was their reputation for quality and the fact that they kept all their employees working during the depths of the recession.  American made!! Good to the workers!!.   So why the f*** did my plasma cutter die after less than 30 minutes of arc time?  Now I have to send it back to the repair center on my dime and wait a couple weeks, meanwhile losing money cause I can't cut any metal.  ARRRGGH!
Parent - - By Pat (**) Date 09-20-2010 14:39
Things like this can happen even with the top notch equipment, just not as frequently. I know your frustration. I ordered a hydraulic ironworker and specified that it was to be wired for single phase 220/230. My paperwork even showed that it was ordered to be built this way. When that long anticipated day of arrival came, I discovered it was a 3 phase unit. The dealer apologized and tried talking me into accepting the 3 phase unit with a discount. Since I don't have 3 phase, it would not of mattered if he offered to give it to me for free.

I have a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 and I have never had any issues with it. At work we have a Miller 250 which I believe is built with some sort of partnership between Miller and Hypertherm. We have had many problems with the 250, but most of the trouble came from the Neanderthals not using it properly. I can't believe the dealer you purchased it from would not replace it with a new unit rather than make you wait and loose time and money. I would be contacting Hypertherm direct and letting them know what was going on. They normally have excellent customer service, and follow up to make sure you are satisfied. Something tells me when you get it returned, or get a replacement, you are going to be very satisfied with the performance..........good luck.
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 09-21-2010 10:30
I would have returned it to the dealer, but it was an online purchase and the dealer is 5 hours away.  Thank goodness for torches and bandsaws....
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-21-2010 12:07
Contact Jim Colt at Hypertherm.
- By RC Welding Date 09-25-2010 23:48
I can't explain the issue with your machine but I will tell you that I have two Powermax 1000's that I use in my shop (on the cnc table and a hand held model) and one of them was easily outside the three year warranty (like 9-11 mos) when it quit and the folks at Hypertherm fixed it for free.  "Sorry for the inconvenience" is what they told me.  Like I said, can't explain what happen to your machine, but the company get all thumbs up from us!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Curse you Hypertherm!!!!