Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / RT interpretation films
- - By Richman (**) Date 09-21-2010 04:48 Edited 11-23-2015 00:08
I’m looking on the web site to get”SAMPLE” standard pictures of RT interpretation films with defect? I appreciate the help you will provide me later.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-21-2010 06:56
Help on what?
Telling you that you are a moron for even considering to evaluate RT films without the needed training?

Glad you found THE website ^^

Parent - - By Richman (**) Date 09-21-2010 08:19
For your info I have a training for RT interpretation and I'm doing that since 1997. I just want a copy of that manuscript.
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 09-21-2010 10:12
You can try to ask those film supplier (e.g. Agfa, Dupont etc), maybe they have those pocket size booklet showing type of defects in radiographs.
Parent - By Richman (**) Date 09-21-2010 13:13
Thanks Joey for the info.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-21-2010 11:17
Richman,

Nevermind 3.2, he seems to forget his manners most of the time.....
Parent - By Richman (**) Date 09-21-2010 13:13
Noted my friend
Parent - - By raptor34 (**) Date 09-21-2010 13:37
If you are going to be like this just log off and stay off.  We dont need people like you bashing on people for expressing their desire to better their skills.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-21-2010 15:57
Better their skills by using a website?
Pfffftttt

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-21-2010 16:28
This is a website.

I know you are only here to poffer your golden nuggets of wisdom and couldn't possibly learn anything from us that you haven't known for eons. 

But think of all of us little folks who benefit from the crumbs from your table..  Are we not bettering ourselves?
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-22-2010 06:07
I agree that this is a website :)

Parent - - By raptor34 (**) Date 09-22-2010 01:40
He is using a website to find out were to get the information that he needs.  I often do the same thing.  It is amazing if you simply read the posts and quit replying to everything how much you actually learn.  Isn't it the same principle as you have two ears and one mouth? So shut up, and let everyone else learn something.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-22-2010 06:00
I’m looking on the web site to get”SAMPLE” standard pictures of RT interpretation films with defect to use as a guide so I can familiarize the defects and enhance my skills in doing interpretations?

Did you even read the post?

Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-21-2010 22:38
Your a legend in your own mind, and a rude one at that.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-22-2010 06:06
By no means do I consider myself a legend, I agree I can be rude at times
But seriously, look at some of the crap being posted here, it's a professional forum ffs!

If after 13 years as an film interpreter he has to look at a web site to compare defects, I would say he has to do the course once again!

Parent - - By Richman (**) Date 09-22-2010 08:02
You are right 3.2 this is a professional forum.  But the way you talking here you are not professional... What I know if you are level 2 or senior or 3.2 inspector you have a good manner & right conduct for sure or your attitude is good but the way you said for me you have a bad moral and a bad attitude my friend. Besides I didn’t ask you personally to help me. So stop it if you have nothing to help or nothing to say good to other people.

Probably I said wrong on my post, what I mean I started interpretation since 1997 but not continuously doing it on all the projects I worked.

Now if I post wrong you can correct me in a professional way not like what you doing. See below other guy’s comments I appreciate them on the info they gave me... By the way my friend, are you professional Engineer or you just only certified 3.2 like others that i know, because if you are Engineer you will not act like that?
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-22-2010 08:26
I am only certified senior inspector, API inspector and EWT, so dont pay attention to what I say :)

Parent - - By Richman (**) Date 09-22-2010 09:42 Edited 09-22-2010 10:22
Now you tell me don't pay attention to what you say? That is why your post is like that because you have LACK  of education my friend...

How could you become  senior inspector, API and EWT if your attitude is like that and because you are senior inspector etc. you can do that to other inspector or your subordinates.

If that is your attitude for sure, you will fired out in your company especially if you are working for Client side or in project management team(owner rep.) even you are senior inspector. You better formed your own company!!!

Are you American Or European, I been working long time to American and European Company but I never encountered this kind of attitude like yours..
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-22-2010 10:55
I have never been fired :O)

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-22-2010 06:04
Hi Richman!

Sorry for not reading your post earlier...

Here you go:

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Radiography/TechCalibrations/RadiographInterp.htm

Now there is more to learn if you're interested... If you are, then you can start here and continue covering all of the succeeding topics by using the "NEXT" button on the lower right hand corner of the screen to go to the next page. ;)

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Radiography/cc_rad_index.htm

Respectfully,

Henry
Parent - By Richman (**) Date 09-22-2010 08:02
Thanks so much henry for this..God Bless you
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-22-2010 21:07
Henry,
you have rendered a valuable service not only to me but also to Mackenzie Engineering School students in Sao Paulo.
So far, my classes on interpretation of welds Xrays were illustrated by a set of slides (those small photos in cellophane enclosed into a cardboard frame that were projected on to the wall or a white blanket).
Starting today, my classes will be illustrated by the electronic material I found on the sites you suggested, arranged in a Power Point presentation.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-22-2010 23:32
It is a rare event that our good friend Henry doesn't have something constructive to add to the conversation.

Good work as always Henry.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-23-2010 11:56
Giovanni,
What I like about that particular NDT link is the 25, 35, or 50 questions at the end. Ready made test(s) for you to use to see how well you know the subject.

They have this for every common NDT method. I use it for UT, MT and PT before testing to renew my certs.

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/communitycollege.htm
Parent - By Richman (**) Date 09-23-2010 12:36
One good reference ......
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 09-23-2010 21:55
Great references Henry and John.

I could have used them a couple of days ago.  Yesterday, I had to pull a structural observation on the NDT of some welds for a transmission tower pile cap fabrication.  The NDT was done by an independant test lab under the scrutiny of a CWI.  I was really just there to watch the watcher, although I'm not really qualified for anything other than visual examination.  So I had to cram on all my welding documents to get on top of my observation protocol.  But everything went perfectly - they went by the book; found some porosity and some undercuts at fillet legs and at start/stops.  I'm pleased that I found the undercuts by visual before the inspector did!

Please don't discourage anybody from asking anything; the answers are incredibly valuable to many of us.

ps.  Henry, I met an ex-submariner that new the submariner that ran the San Francisco into the underwater mountain.  He described the (I forgot the name of it) procedure used to rapidly ascend a sub - awesome is all I can say!

Bob
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-24-2010 00:16 Edited 09-24-2010 01:03
Hi Bob!

It's called an “emergency main ballast blow.” ;)

As far as the SSN 711 (U.S.S. San Francisco) is concerned, here's what CBS has to report about the accident:

May 18, 2005
Who's To Blame For Sub Accident?
David Martin Retraces Events That Led To USS San Francisco Crash By Rebecca Leung

(CBS)   A head-on collision at 40 miles per hour is, by any standard, a bad accident. But a head-on collision in a submarine 525 feet deep in the middle of the Pacific Ocean is a disaster.

That’s exactly what happened to the USS San Francisco last January, when it struck an undersea mountain in one of the worst accidents in modern naval history. How does a submarine run into a mountain? And whose fault was it?

The crew of the USS San Francisco tell Correspondent David Martin how they survived 52 harrowing hours at sea.
After the accident, the entire bow of the USS San Francisco, a $1 billion, fast-attack nuclear submarine, was shattered.
"We took a full frontal hit," says Cmdr. Kevin Mooney, who was the submarine's captain on the day of the crash. "I think we came pretty close [to losing that submarine]. I do accept full responsibility for the grounding of San Francisco. I expected the Navy to hold me accountable for this horrible accident and they did."

Mooney was a rising star in the submarine force, hand-picked to skipper the San Francisco on its peacetime mission of sneaking around the Pacific and spying on other countries and their navies. In the 13 months since he'd taken command, he'd won accolades for his leadership.

Then, four months ago, Mooney and his crew were sent on a high-speed run from their home port on the Pacific Island of Guam south to Australia for a port visit. They were passing through the Caroline Islands, at a depth of 525 feet, when 7,000 tons of steel with 137 souls on board came to a crashing halt. "The noise was deafening, initially, [like] an explosion," says Mooney, who was eating lunch in the wardroom. He was thrown across the table. "My first thought was that I was going to die."

"All of a sudden, you find yourself slammed into something and the whole world is shaking," says senior chief Danny Hager, who was in the sub’s control room and smashed into the instrument panel. "Immediately, I knew we hit something and it was going to be bad."

"I remember just bodies everywhere," says Petty Officer Brian Barnes, who was standing in the lunch line and was thrown to the deck. "Broken glass, stepping on plates, your shipmates moaning because they're in pain, yelling." "We had a lot of people thrown, you know, about 20, 25 feet. Those were the guys that were injured the worst, because, you know, there’s not very many soft things on a submarine," says Hager.

Those still able began to take stock of the damage. Flooding is what every member of the crew dreaded most. At 525 feet deep, water pressure is 16 times what it is at the surface. If there were any serious leaks in the inner hull, water would come rushing in and doom the ship within minutes.
"The enemy is out there and it’s sea water and it’s trying to get in," says Mooney.

The crew of the San Francisco performed what’s called an emergency blow, pumping air into the sub’s ballast tanks to float it to the surface. All eyes turned to Hager, who was monitoring the depth gauge. "I told them 525 feet 0 acceleration. And I’m waiting, you know, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, I don’t know how long it was, you know, 525 feet, 0 acceleration," says Hager. "And it was just absolutely silence in control because they’re waiting for me to report that we were accelerating upwards."

What they didn’t know at the time was most of their front ballast tanks were destroyed.
"So the forward tanks were ruptured," says Martin. "And that air you were trying to pump into them was just going out into the ocean." "Just going out into the ocean," says Hager. Finally, air filled the rear tanks, which slowly began pulling the sub up.
"You could feel the pregnant pause, and then almost the relief when I said 500 feet acceleration upwards," says Hager.

Mooney says it took a few minutes to get the sub to the surface. But that was just the beginning.
"The crew had to get that ship home. An injured crew; a beaten crew," says Mooney. "I think the crew was terrified. There was blood all over the decks."
Ninety-eight of the 137 crew members had been injured, about 20 of them seriously enough that they could no longer man their watch stations. Petty Officer Joey Ashley was the worst off with a massive head injury.

"Basically, he’d flown about 20-25 feet, and struck a pump, head first, and he was in serious critical condition," says Hager.
Mooney radioed for help, but the San Francisco was hundreds of miles from home and there were no ships nearby. Its bow was crushed; its propeller bobbing in and out of the water. And the crew wasn’t sure they could keep it from going down.

As the hours passed, the crew struggled to put the submarine back in some kind of working order, while at the same time caring for the injured, especially Ashley, who was given an emergency tracheotomy to keep him breathing. "Everyone kind of switched off with Ashley, and they kind of stayed with him 24/7, round the clock, just holding his hand, taking care of him," says Barnes.

When word came that a rescue helicopter was finally en route, Ashley, who was strapped onto a stretcher in the bowels of the submarine, had to be moved through a labyrinth of tight passageways and up a narrow ladder to an exit hatch 25 feet above the main deck. "We were cutting off railings and just doing anything we possibly could to ease the passage of that stretcher from where he was down in the crew's mess up to the area right below the bridge hatch," says Mooney.

"The water was washing over the top of the submarine," says Mooney. "We were unable to get him [Ashley] in his stretcher through the bridge hatch … couldn't squeeze it through." Ashley clung to life for more than 24 hours, but the failed attempt to airlift him off the sub had literally been his last gasp. "When they brought him back down from that was when they lost him," says Hager. "Pretty sad. [He was] one of the best on board." The crew had no choice but to press on, and the sub, once capable of doing 40 miles an hour under water, limped home on the surface at only 10 miles an hour. Mooney says it took "52 hours from when we grounded to when we moored in Guam."

Now the San Francisco sits in dry dock on the island of Guam. You can’t see the worst of the damage anymore, because a huge steel shield has been placed over the bow to make it seaworthy enough to sail to the States for permanent repairs. It will probably cost $100 million and take two years to put the San Francisco back in service.

So, how could this accident have happened?

For all their sophistication, nuclear-powered submarines run virtually blind to what’s in front of them, relying mostly on their charts to navigate safely. They could use sonar to detect an obstacle, but its distinctive ping would give the sub’s location away and violate the submariner’s rule: run silent, run deep. The Navy’s investigation blamed Mooney for using “poor judgment” in his navigation of the San Francisco. It went on to say he “failed to appreciate potential hazards,” went too fast, and most importantly, “failed to review…” his “…charts adequately.” He was relieved of his command and given a career-ending letter of reprimand

"The real punishment for me is that I have to carry the consequences of this grounding with me the rest of my life, particularly the death of Petty Officer Ashley," says Mooney.
There’s now a video tribute to Ashley at the Navy Memorial in Washington D.C. You might think his parents, Dan and Vicki, would blame Mooney for their son’s death, but they have forgiven him his mistakes, and believe some of the responsibility for what happened goes much higher in the Navy.

The Navy investigation didn’t exactly admit to making a mistake, but it did find that an omission on one of its charts “directly contributed to the grounding.”
The chart the San Francisco was using when it ran into the mountain is one in a series of bottom contour charts that the Navy considers the most complete and accurate for underwater navigation. It’s not available to the public, but Martin said he could see the course Mooney followed and the exact spot where the collision occurred, and there’s no sign of anything on the chart resembling an undersea mountain.

"The Navy gave you a bum chart," says Martin. "The Navy gave you a bum chart." "Right," says Mooney. "It’s regrettable." There were other charts on board that clearly show a navigation hazard near where the San Francisco grounded. And the Navy says Mooney and his team were required to look at all the charts, not to rely on the accuracy of just the one. "My biggest mistake or the area where I fell short the most, I think, it was I did not have a healthy skepticism on the accuracy of the charts," says Mooney. "Had I appreciated that the charts really are not that accurate, then I would have navigated my ship more prudently."

It turns out Mooney wasn’t the only one who trusted the faulty chart. So did the submarine headquarters, which laid out the route the sub was to follow from Guam to Australia, a route which pointed it straight at the mountain, a route that another report said, “did not follow an optimal track.” "Did you follow the track that you were given?" asks Martin. "And that's the track that ran you smack into that undersea mountain?" "Yes," says Mooney. "And that's your fault?" asks Martin. "Yes," says Mooney. Why? "The safe navigation of a submarine is the responsibility of the commanding officer," says Mooney.

It’s what the Navy calls “the essence of command” – the buck stops with the captain of the ship. "The standard that the submarine force holds me and every other person to are high because they have to be," says Mooney. "We can’t afford to have another San Francisco." It's a real shame what happened out there. :(

This was forwarded to me from a Submariner from his buddy who was the Diving Officer when they hit the sea mount. Interesting reading! There are quite a few amazing stories that have come out of this event...

"To say that I've had a bad year so far would be a little short on the tooth I think. Last year was a good one for the boat. After spending 5 months away from home in drydock (Sandy Eggo) we got our second BA on ORSE (bad juju), received the highest score in PacFlt for a submarine TRE inspection, aced our mine readiness inspection with 4 out of 4 hits, completed 2 outstanding missions (will have to shoot you), and completed a early ORSE just before Christmas with an EXCELLENT. It was also the first year that Auxiliary Division had a Christmas standown since coming out of the yards in 2002. A-division also took the CSS-15 Red DC award for the second year in a row. My retention has been 100% since I checked onboard in Oct 2002 amongst 1st/2nd and turd termers.

We were going to our first true liberty port 2 weeks ago, heading for Brisbane and fun in the sun. As this WOG knows, we were getting ready for our crossing the line ceremony and the crew was really upbeat, and hard charging, we had just completed a great year for the San Fran...

To say the world went to shyte in a hand basket would be an understatement. I would put it closer to a nightmare that becomes reality. The seamount that is a large part of the discussion the last 2 weeks is un-named. The charts we carried onboard were up to date as far as we can tell. No modern geographic data for this area was available to us onboard as it is a remote area not often traveled by the Navy. We have one of the BEST ANav's in the fleet onboard, a true quartergasket that takes pride in his job. We have RLGN's onboard, when they are running, they are accurate as hell for our position, they also drive Tomahawks.

We knew where we were. All of my depth gauges and digital read the same depths as we changed depth to our SOE depth for flank. I can't discuss alot, because I'm still a participent of at least 2 investigations....LOL.

I was the Diving Officer of the Watch when we grounded. If you read the emails from ComSubPac, you will get some of the details, from flank speed to less than 4 knots in less than 4 seconds. We have it recorded on the RLGN's-those cranky bastages actually stayed up and recorded everything. For you guys that don't understand that, take a Winnebego full of people milling around and eating, slam it into a concrete wall at about 40mph, and then try to drive the damn thing home and pick up the pieces of the passengers.

As for the actual grounding, I can tell you that it was fortunate that myself and the Chief of the Watch were blessed by somebody. I was standing up, changing the expected soundings for a new depth on the chart (yes, we had just moved into deeper water) leaning against the ship's control panel with a hand grip, and the COW was leaning down to call the COB on the MJ.

The next thing to cross my mind was why am I pushing myself off of the SCP and where the hell the air rupture in the control room come from? I didn't know it, but I did a greater than 3g spiderman against the panel, punched a palm through the only plexiglass guage on the SCP and had my leg crushed by the DOOW chair that I had just unbuckled from. The DOOW chair was broken loose by the QMOW flying more than 15 feet into it and smashing my leg against a hydraulic valve and the SCP. I don't remember freeing myself from it. If I had been buckled in, I don't think I would be writing this.

The COW was slammed against the base of the Ballast Control Panel, and only injured his right arm. He could of destroyed the BCP, he was a big boy. Everybody else in control, with the exception of the helm, was severely thrown to the deck or other items that were in their way, and at least partially dazed. Within about 5 seconds of the deceleration, we blew to the surface, it took that 5 seconds for the COW to climb up the BCP and actuate the EMBT blow. We prepared to surface right away and got the blower running asap, I didn't know how much damage we had forward but knew it was not good, I wanted that blower running.

I would say that about 80% of the crew was injured in some way, but do not know the number. We grounded in the middle of a meal hour, just after field day, so most of the crew was up. Once we got the boat on the surface and semi-stable with the blower running the rest of the ship conditions started sinking in to our minds. We were receiving 4MC's for injured men all over the boat. I was worried that those reports were over whelming any equipment/boat casualties that could make our life worse. I had teams form up of able bodied men to inspect all of the forward elliptical bulkhead, lower level, and tanks below those spaces. I couldn't believe that we did not have flooding, it just didn't fit in. At one point I looked around in the control room, and saw the disaster.

The entire control room deck was covered in paper from destroyed binders, and blood. It looked like a slaughterhouse, we had to clean it up. I knew that Ash was severly injured and brought to the messdecks, he was one of my best men, and one of our best sailors onboard, he was like a son to me. After surfacing I was the control room supervisor, I had a boat to keep on the surface and fight and knew that if I went below to see how he was doing, it would teeter me on the brink of something that the ship did not need, the ship needed somebody who knew her.

I have to say that the design engineers at Electric Boat, NavSea and others have designed a submarine that can withstand incredible amounts of damage and survive. We lost no systems, equipment, or anything broke loose during the impact. The damage to our sailors was almost all from them impacting into the equipment.

The crew is a testament to training and watch team backup. When a casualty occurs, you fight like you train, and train like you fight. It kept us alive during that 2+day period.
I've just returned from the honor of escorting my sailor home to his family. God bless them, they are truly good people and patriotic. The Navy is doing everything they can for them and they are learning how submariner's take care of each other. During the memorial and viewing on Saturday, CSS-15 provided a video from the coast guard of us on the surface and the SEAL/Dr. medical team being helo'd in, the family had this video played on 2 screens in the background. It was a sobering reminder of what a hard woman the ocean can be. We had to call off the helo because of the sea state, it was becoming too dangerous for the aircraft, we almost hit it with the sail a couple of times. The sea would not allow us to medivac in our condition and that sea state.

I was one of the 23 sent to the hospital that Monday. I was fortunate, my leg was not broken, just trashed/bruised. I walked on that leg for almost 24 hours before it gave out on me and they had it splinted. The SEAL made me promise not to walk on it, how do you refuse a SEAL? LOL.

So I hopped around on a single leg for awhile, the other chief's were calling me Tiny Tim, LOL. "God bless each and every one! Except you, and you, that guy behind you!". The COB threatened to beat my @ss if I walk onboard before my leg is otay, he's about the only man onboard that I'd take that from, hehe.

The crew is doing better, we've lost a few due to the shock of the incident. We will make sure they are taken care of. The investigation goes on, and I have a new CO. I will only say that the San Fran was the best damn sub in the Navy under CDR Mooneys leadership. We proved that.

God bless him and his family no matter what happens in the future, he is truly a good man. I just need to get my leg healed and get back to fighting my favorite steel *****."

Could one just imagine how much RT film interpretation went on afterwards and when the repairs were completed??? Hmmmm, I would imagine almost a boat load!!! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-07-2010 18:38
Henry,
is it you the Navy officer whose photograph is shown above?
Was the San Francisco a nuclear sub?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-07-2010 21:55
Hi Giovanni!

Question #1: No, that gentleman was the commanding officer of the U.S.S. San Francisco when the accident/incident occurred...

Question #2: Yes, the U.S.S San Francisco is a nuclear powered fast attack type submarine.

This is a picture of me my friend. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / RT interpretation films