Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / all kinds of welding.
- - By weaver (***) Date 09-22-2010 01:47
So I was talking to a customer and he was surprised that I could weld (tig) alunimum, I said what's the big deal? Long story short we had just finished welding on a bowl (wellhead). , He was blown away that I could stick weld and also could tig .. I laughed and said I and mig weld too.. I am nothin special, but don't all other welders mig, tig, and stick. I guess I don't see the big deal. A welder should be able to weld high pressure pipe, put down the stinger, lay down a roll of dimes with tig, and then walk over to a mig welder and have a ball.
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 09-22-2010 01:51
Uphill downhill side to side with or without a mirror in a corner no crack to tight no gap to wide from eggshells to spider webs crack of dawn to a broken heart!!! LoL
Parent - By bigrod (**) Date 09-22-2010 03:20
yes sir!!!!
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 09-23-2010 00:41
THAT BOY COULD WELD A DICK ON A SNOWMAN
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 09-22-2010 11:16
Hats off to you in your proficiency in the different process. My experience is welders who are really good with TIG are not as good with SMAW. Same with really good SMAW welders who can TIG. Really good uphill welders tend to have issues going downhill. Same with DH welders going UH. I have tested a lot of welders in open root low hydrogen. Most really good TIG welders have issues with this test.
It has nothing to do with their skills and proficiency with a welding process.
It has to do with muscle memory. When a welder does a lot of heavy wall carbon pipe with SMAW then switches to light wall stainless using TIG, they tend to have problems until they get their "hand" back in.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-22-2010 13:27
You got a good point.  If had to go take any tig test today I would just go do it.....If I had a 3g unlimited SMAW tommorow I would spend today burning a few...If I had a SMAW pipe test tommorow I would try to get it put off for a few days and I would probably burn quite a few rods.   Not many years ago it would have been the exact opposite for me.    I think you have to get use to what your looking at as well...kinda eyeball-brain coordination.
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 09-23-2010 02:14
Exactly right even a sharp knife will rust a little after time.
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 09-25-2010 04:48
There is no substitute for "hood time" to improve your skills on a given weld process that is required, nobody is going to tell me different. I still struggle with Hastaloy and need hood time to get comfortable again for example! lol :)
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 09-25-2010 04:54
I've run across quite a few pipeline welders that scoffed at TIG welders.
Parent - By weaver (***) Date 09-25-2010 18:23
thats kinda funny, the whole story is that this company man had a pipeliner do some odd jobs and his finished product looked like crap. I told him that the pipeliners up here are a very arrogant bunch ( and they should not be). He was very happy when I brought out some finished products for him (we were bsing) after the wellhead. I don't have a whole lot of respect for the pipeliners up here. Burning in pipe is not that hard. And I have done quite a bit of pipe. kind regards shannon
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / all kinds of welding.