Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat
- - By stich585 (*) Date 09-09-2002 20:35
Hello. I am trying to put together a text compilation of various recomended heat ranges for different welding applications. It is going to be put into the apprenticeship program at work. My problem is that I only have my experience to rely on. This is specificaly what I am looking for:

1. Recommended amp rating for 3/32", 1/8" and 5/32" 7018 and 6010. Do you change your heat setting for different positions? ( I run colder when I go 3G.)

2. Recomended volt and wire speed for .030 and .035 solid steel wire. Again if you change for position or metal thickness please note.

3. Recomended volt and wire speed for 1/16" stainless and 71 steel wire.
The stainless is mostly used on manguneese. ( It would be nice if this site had spell check.)

4. Recommended amperage and tungsten size for T.I.G. welding various size and schedule black and stainless steel pipe.

Any and all input is incouraged and appreciated.
Parent - - By Goose (**) Date 09-09-2002 21:26
Would it also be a good idea to include the gas mix used with the GMAW parameters as I'm sure each gas mix would require different volt/wire speed settings?

Does that make sense?
Parent - By stich585 (*) Date 09-09-2002 22:16
Great suggestion. Thnx.
Parent - By bspeirs (*) Date 09-10-2002 01:18
Ed Craig has a GMAW training manual available on his website - much thinner than his 600 page book!

www.weldreality.com
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-10-2002 01:48
Many filler metal manufacturers list a range in their catalogs for there filler metals. Some even have recommended setting for positions, etc. Lincoln electric publishes a book that contains a very good selection of parameters for welding with GMAW, FCAW, FCAW SS, SMAW, and GTAW. The book is called the "procedure handbook of arc welding". This in conjuction with your experience should give some good starting points. The lincoln book is very inexpensive and contains some very good information.

There are also .pdf documents available at Lincolns site at http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/lecobrowse.asp which list the parameters for their filler metals. Esab also has a site but I couldn't connect to it tonight.

Good Day
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Gerald Austin
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat