Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Airgas oxygen cylinder still the same amount cubic feet?
- - By NMWELDING (**) Date 09-30-2010 05:19
Exchanged my empty oxygen cylinder for a full one and quickly noticed that the full cylinder is 5-6 inches shorter than the old. I was told it is the same cubic feet,that the wall thickness is thinner because of using high strength steel, and thus a smaller cylinder. The time before that I exchanged my empty for a full and noticed the cylinder was maybe a good 1/2 inch smaller,diameter wise. I was told the same thing,higher strength steel,thus smaller cylinder,but the same cubic feet. I don`t get it, why 2 different sizes,and yet the same amount of oxygen. I deal with Airgas,there is no one else anywhere near close by to deal with. I have a lease with them,and it`s for the large tank,which costs about 37 dollars. I really don`t like to deal with them but no other choice. And despite what I was told,I don`t believe Airgas. I wonder if it`s like everything else,smaller size ,same price.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 09-30-2010 07:32
Don't have any answers to your specific question but i will say i cant wait for the big green monster Airgas to get swallowed up by air products!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-01-2010 02:13
I think Airgas purchased the consumer products division FROM Air Products some years back.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-30-2010 19:48
http://airliquide.dirxion.com/english/WebProject.asp?BookCode=ale09flx#

There are different sizes with the same capacity, as in the tables above, but I think you are right to be suspicious of the given explanations!
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-30-2010 19:56
This is not to defend Airgas, but actually what's important is not the volume of oxygen contained into the cylinder but the weight.
A cubic foot of any gas depends on the temperature and pressure at which it's measured, but a pound of gas is always a pound, no matter the temperature, pressure and volume.
So, what you should bother is whether the weight of oxygen contained into the old cylinders is the same weight of oxygen contained into the new ones.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
- - By fschweighardt (***) Date 10-01-2010 02:35
Im in the gas bizz and that sound a bit like BS.  If you are that much shorter on the new cylinder, you will need to have pretty significantly higher pressure in the little cylinder to get to the SCF of the big cyl.  That being said, if the old big cyl was not an overpump (2640 psi) and was only done to 2400, and the new, small cylinder was an overpump, you might get close.  I think a tall oxygen is 337 SCF and the smaller one is 251 SCF, if they are at the same pressure.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-01-2010 03:10
Giovanni is on the mark as usual.

You can compare the weight of the gas in the cylinders by weighing them when you first receive them and compare initial weight to the weights of the empty tanks.

The only problem is to find a scale that is both accurate and capable of measuring to units of less than 1-pound if you really are trying to be percise.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 10-01-2010 16:10
And that doesn't significantly drift, during the time you're using up that tank.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Airgas oxygen cylinder still the same amount cubic feet?