Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / engine block welding
- - By haybine Date 09-11-2002 11:54
i am new to welding and all i have is a miller thunderbolt 235 ac machine. is it possible to weld a cast iron engine block with ac machine. if so, what type rod should i get and approx what amp setting to use? the engine block is from a old case tractor and it looks to be about 1/4" thick or so. i have to cut out some of the side of the block at the water jacket on a particular cylinder to do a repair and need to re-weld the piece back in. any help would be appreciated.
Parent - By supermechanic (**) Date 09-11-2002 17:22
Haybine , you need DCRP. See my post in hobart forum (weld talk) 'Cast to steel' in "welding processes". Ed
Parent - By dee (***) Date 09-11-2002 18:45
Haybine,
If you are new to welding you will benefit greatly from the US Army's training circular. It should have information on solving your problem, but if not, you will at least have a valuable reference.

http://www.machinist.org/army_welding

Do not interpret this as a contradiction to any specific advice; I have found there often are several solutions to any welding problem, not all of which may be equally practical.

I recall a table listing various material failures, including engine blocks, and recommendations on procedures. Frankly I cannot make any recommendation on applicable procedures.

How do you plan to cut the water jacket?

Good luck with your repair
d
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-12-2002 04:27
Are you trying to repair a crack in the cylinder itself? If so boring and sleeving will give a better result.

I would like to hear a more detailed description of the problem.

Bill
Parent - - By haybine Date 09-12-2002 10:53
to all who responded, thanks for the information. the tractor is quite old, maybe somewhere in the 1940's or early 1950's model. it belongs to a friend of mine who was wanting to restore it and use it on his small acreage. after looking at some of the other engine parts and the general condition of the tractor, he decided not to pursue the restoration any further. it simply was in too bad a shape and certain repair parts are either not available or hard to find. thanks again, ya'll. be safe!
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-13-2002 02:36
I've gotten used parts from Central Tractor (now valu-bilt.com) if that's any help. They seemed to have most anything and prices were reasonable.

Bill
Parent - By Rod MI (*) Date 09-13-2002 15:00
haybine tell your friend to go to this grate board below. They will now how to fix any problem with the case tractor including part sores. Welding is defiantly left to this sight JB weld has fixed a few tractor blocks good luck Rod MI

http://www.ytmag.com/case/wwwboard1.html
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / engine block welding