Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Norton Plus grinder wheels
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-30-2010 23:11
I bought two Norton plus grinder (4-1/2" x 1/4")wheels on August 26. I put one on when I started on the 6" gas pipe. I used it that whole week cleaning off pipe, 45's and whatever else. Then I went to the other job and used that one disc for 3 weeks beveling 3", 2-1/2" pipe. This week I used it again on the 6" gas pipe to bevel the pipe where I had to hand cut the pipe to do our fit up. It's getting down now but still using it and still cuts just like it did when it was new.

Now, they cost around $6.50 per wheel(Airgas) but as much money as I have made on this one wheel I can't complain at all. At one point I'll actually have to start using the second one I bought!!

On the other side though, bought a bunch of the Sait 4-1/2" x 1/8 "Pipeline" discs for cleaning out the root pass......they suck. Chewed threw one of those in about 2 welds on 6" pipe.

Just thought I'd put that out there for in case anyone runs across them and says, thats to darn expensive, it's well worth it.
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 09-30-2010 23:41
We use 1/8 6" Nortons all day on pipe and uh huh, way more life than the usual Walters. And I also agree with you on the Sait brand,and way more dust with a bad smell coming off that wheel.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 10-01-2010 18:17
They must have made some quality changes.
A few years ago, I swore I'd never buy another Norton product cause they were so bad.
Glad to hear they've wised up.
I've always thouht Preferd was the best.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-01-2010 19:16
Norton must make something decent again or someone is making it for them.  Last time I looked all their stuff was made in china and one of their wheels flew apart on me so never bought them again.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-07-2010 03:44
I'm w ya Shawn they are the best for the money
- By Fritz T Katt (**) Date 10-01-2010 21:06
I use the 7" norton disks and they do last quite a while.

A couple years ago doing some stuff at home, we bought some norton and dewalt CUTTING disks. The dewalt disks lasted twice as long and cut twice as fast. The nortons broke incredibly easily and took forever to cut.

Their quality has either dramatically improved, or their cutting disks are the ****ty ones... have not used the cutting ones since.
- - By TRC (***) Date 10-02-2010 10:18
Hey Shawn, I ground half of 52, 12" welds with one 7"wheel. Yes they do last a long time.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-02-2010 10:27
I was telling a friend at another supply house about the Norton plus and they carry the Sait brand. He gave me a Sait Tough grind to try out and compare. It was half the price of the Norton. I used it thursday out on the pipeline and can already tell it's not gonna last as long as the Norton. The edge is already getting that rounded look, the knife edge. When it comes to lots of grinding on the job, I know what wheels I'm gonna get. I picked up two of the Norton plus 1/8 x 4-1/2 for grinding out the root. Also over $6 but have not had a chance to use them yet.
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 10-03-2010 03:03
Any body like Metabo. Stocked up on them, they will last forever, they wear real slow, job will last forever also, because they cut reallllly slow. Shoulda bought one and tried it first.
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 10-03-2010 03:17
I dont know how, I bought 5 boxes and 5 disk to a box and when I got done I had 5 disk that where so out of round they would beat the bearing out of a grinder.
Parent - By michaelb (**) Date 10-08-2010 23:01
flexovit makes a metal hog that i was real happy with  price is pretty fair as well
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Norton Plus grinder wheels