Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.1 and 14.6
- - By bmaas1 (***) Date 09-11-2002 15:45
According to these codes is there a maximum fillet weld size, excluding lap joints. (i.e. Tee-joints)

Thanks,

Brian Maas
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-11-2002 16:34
I don't know about 14.6 but other than the lap joints as you mentioned D1.1 doesn't give maximum sizes. That is usually left to common sense, good judgement, and customer specs if any.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By Wildturkey (**) Date 09-12-2002 15:01
D1.1 does not give a maximum fillet weld size, but it does give a maximum single pass size for a prequalified WPS
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 09-13-2002 18:05
Brian:
There is a provision in the form of a note at the back of Figures 3.3 and 3.4 for fillet welds reinforcing groove welds in corner and T joints. See note J for these Figures.

Not sure if this is what your looking for. Engineers here usually request compliance to this note.
Parent - By steveho (*) Date 09-20-2002 22:55
Looks like maybe you're dealing with tee joints ? If so, I can only say as far as D1.1 goes, as long as it's not a TYK' (tubular) design where fatigue is specified as a design consideration, I see nothing in D1.1 except the single pass applications (ruled by either 3.7.3.2 or tables 4.4 and/or 4.5) that would restrict fillet welds to a maximum size. With extremely acute angled TYK heels, it's not so much a maximum size called out, instead a fillet over a certain size could completely cover over the groove joint's filler metal. That could create a notch effect at the base metal where the fillet's face is reentrant onto the base metal. Good luck, hope it helps you out.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.1 and 14.6