Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / new to this forum
- - By henryintyler Date 10-02-2010 21:01
Hello, I am new to the AWS and also new to his forum.  After working in the offshore construction industry as a rigger for several years, I decided to take up welding.  After my wife graduated college and started her career, I decided to get some formal training as a welder.  I am currently attending the local junior college in pursuit of an Associate's degree in welding technology.  When i first started this endeavor, i just thought i would go to this school, graduate, and go back offshore welding pipe.  After talking with my instructors, and browsing this forum, I now realize that there are lot of avenues that one could take in this industry.  What kind of advice do some you old timers have for a guy like me.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-02-2010 23:58
Welcome to the Forum. Where are you going ? TJC ?
Parent - - By henryintyler Date 10-03-2010 03:55
Yes, i'm currently in the program at TJC
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-03-2010 04:06
Welcome.

Al
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-03-2010 11:48
I live close to you. I am in Grand Saline. If you ever need any help, let me know

Cactus
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-03-2010 17:29
Welcome aboard!!

The best advice?   Learn whatever you can where ever you go.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-08-2010 19:45
Welcome to the AWS Welding Forum.

Further education will do wonders in advancing ones options, especially in our industry and in these economic times.

With your welding experience and now education you could always consider going into inspections.  Also opens doors for lead positions.  Make sure you get well rounded education: blueprint reading, different processes, fabrication, etc.  Some outfits even would use those skills and education mixed with some classes in industrial safety to fill their safety officer positions. 

Good Luck.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-09-2010 12:57
Hey Henry,
As an "'ol timer", I can only project my personal thoughts to you so you can make a mental note for future employment. If you really evaluate the entire manufacturing arena in the last 10yrs, there are avenues in the arena that still are working with minimal possibility of job loss or layoff. That is the combination of the welding & fabrication industry. If you add a couple of ingredients to your welding resume, you become more valuable to a company looking for someone with some additional skills that will benefit them overall with your abilities. This also enhances your earning power because you will enhance a company's profit margin.

I suggest that you learn machining(lathe/mill,CNC if possible), fabrication/fitting, jig/fixture design, & techniques with O/A(silver-soldering, brazing, aluminum). During my 47yr career in the world of metal, I never had a loss for employment. You can't plan your future if you don't create some backup plans if the economy keeps changing almost daily. The "old world" skills of being able to do many different jobs is lost today. There seems to be a lack of incentive by youth to get proficient in multiple applications/processes in the metal arena. The more you know, the better you will succeed to provide you & your family with income. Even today, I can still get a job in a machining facility, welding, or a fab shop. Since I am now fully retired from the employment gig, I still operate my own welding/machine/fab shop & work every day. Today, everyone is "fixin'" rather than replacing to save the almighty $$$. Thus, those in the repair sector are keeping afloat with todays' uncertainty. I also strongly suggest to get very proficient in every process, ie.; SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, & O/A, & learn, really learn the characteristics of metal.

Anyway, just some "food-for-thought" from an 'ol timer.....

Denny
Parent - By thewelder (***) Date 10-09-2010 18:00
I'm not "new" welder but Thank you for the TIP.
- - By henryintyler Date 10-03-2010 21:21
Thanks Cactus.  I may take you up on that.  I'm sure i will need some help at some point along the way.
Parent - By bigrod (**) Date 10-05-2010 03:32
im a younger guy in the business and i have come to find that at every weling job i've had there is at least one older gentleman that is  very good at the trade.  I've always made it a point to become friends with them.  they will always give you tips and help you along your journey.  I have never met cactus but from what i've seen on here, he can only help lead you in the right direction.  

best of luck,
                    Jeremy
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / new to this forum