Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Annex B of D1.8 Seismic Supplemental Manual
- - By Mike Rowe Date 10-07-2010 05:10
On page 44 of Lincoln's D1.8 Seismic supplemental Manual, there's a notation that reads "Applies Only to US Products." There are two interpretations in my neck of the woods. One says this refers to filler metals, the other says it refer to base metals.

What say ye?
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 10-07-2010 10:38
off the top of my head I'd say since it's a filler metal manufacturer's info your reading, they are implying only their filler metal made in the US is gauranteed to meet that requirement.
Try calling your local representative, they will give you an answer, or go online you can submit one to Lincoln and they'll get back to you, I've done several times.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 10-07-2010 16:41
It's Charpy test results for the intermixing of different electrode combinations.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-07-2010 18:27 Edited 10-07-2010 18:31
Back in my days of erector engineer, I took part in the erection of an oil refinery in a class IV seismic region in Argentina. Class IV means that the worst earthquakes on Earth can happen there.
This was 40 years ago. In those days, MIG welding wasn't yet popular in Argentina and welding was carried out with stick (shielded) electrodes made in Argentina under Lincoln license.  
Since then, many earthquakes struck that part of the globe and the refinery is still there.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Annex B of D1.8 Seismic Supplemental Manual