Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / cladding of Al alloy with TIG welding
- - By m.rostami (*) Date 10-10-2010 07:43
hi my dear,mr.henry,how r u?
about my last question it is necessary to be say that i am trying to find a good topic for my proposal,i am student of welding engineering, so i need for your gidence  about various Al alloy that have most application in industry and injury their surface opposite the wear so we will can to repair the surface by tig cladding.in fact i need to find an most application,service,...Al alloys that be compatible by tig cladding with ceramic powder.
do u help me pls?
ago thank u for your last response.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-11-2010 00:10
What an interesting project.

If I understand correctly..  You are talking about using GTAW process to apply a ceramic powder on aluminum base metal for the purpose of abrasion and wear resistence.

This is something totally new to me..  Very interesting and I don't doubt very difficult.. Aluminum is not often friendly when it comes to molten mixing with other alloys and materials.  I have been involved in thermal spray, HVOF and Plasma type surface treatments on some aluminum and magnesium alloys but not GTAW.

Is this process you mention something that is currently being used in industry and your project is to find a suitable application?  Or is this process something new and you are trying to prove it can be done?

Sorry I'm not Henry... But I hope you share the data you gather and keep us all posted on how your project develops..  Many of us would like to know.
Parent - - By m.rostami (*) Date 10-11-2010 08:48
thanks a lot my dear, lawrence,
yes, you know my aim rightly,
there is some article about hardfacing by laser cladding of Al alloy with ceramic powder such as SiC,WC,Al2O3,Si,... for example by the matter of ,Microstructure and hardness of laser clad SiCp–Al composite coatings on Al alloys,
but i am working on TIG welding.
do you know Al-12Si alloy?it is almostly a good alloy for this idea.is that right?
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-11-2010 16:21
I doubt you would want to use the TIG process for this as you would input too much heat that would lead to distortion of the base piece.
I have a question for you  Mehdi, I notice by your profile you are from Iran, and all your posts concern cladding of materials for strength and resistance to abrasion, and some of the materials you are referencing in most countries are on the restricted list of materials.
I was wondering if you are working for the Iranian government and  the purpose of these experiments and inquiries?
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-12-2010 02:04 Edited 10-12-2010 03:04
I'm glad someone else noticed!!! Very good catch kcd616!!! :) :) :)

Now I don't know if you're working on turbines to be used in military fighter aircraft, turbines in ultra-fast torpedoes, or rockets or repairing automotive parts or even nuclear fuel rods (Ohhh so you thought we wouldn't notice this???)... However, I do notice that the query you post is either intentionally very vague as if you were hiding something, and I also notice the same with your profile which is rather odd to say the least...

Now I don't know what sort of restrictions you have in Iran regarding how much you are able to use the internet as a research tool, but I will tell you this... If you think we are that dumb to help you find out information which can be used against us in the future, then I'll be glad to sell you a bridge in Brooklyn, NY real cheap!!!

Henry
Parent - - By m.rostami (*) Date 10-12-2010 10:48
hi my dear,henry,
i really work on this project,so there is not a Ambiguous problem.
Afterwards there is various of powder and substrate that i need to this work but i have not many experience, so i need to your guids.
is it possible to TIG cladding of Al alloy without ever distortion and deformation?
Rigards...
m.rostami
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-12-2010 19:38
It is possible to TIG clad and not have distortion or deformation, but that is for me to already know and you to learn.
But it is very expensive and there are cheaper, better and faster ways to do the job.
Now I missed some important people in my past 2 posts.
I want to say hello to all the Chinese, Pakistani and Russian security agencies. (Special hello to Vlad Putin and the KGB boys and girls.)
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-12-2010 12:57 Edited 10-12-2010 13:09
Henry,
Iran has the same restrictions as most every county in the world as far as access to materials that have a military or nuclear purpose, you must have government permission to use them.
And unless the admins here added the posters location, the poster could have left it blank.
Now I have a question for the AWS. I am all for the sharing of information, by sharing we all learn. And understand the AWS and everyone else's privacy concerns. They are about half of mine. (I will throw a hello out to the NSA, Hi boys and girls.)
Welding and Metallurgy have been my profession and passion for many decades, many things in both are either classified or patented trade secrets.
How much is the AWS monitoring these boards, because these boards have some of the finest minds in the world, on the leading edge of the exchange of very sensitive and critical information, that could be very valuable to many countries and companies.
Sincerely,
Kent
BTW Henry, just call me Kent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-12-2010 15:44 Edited 10-12-2010 15:50
Hi Kent,
You will see my sign-on listed on the bottom of the main forum page nearly every day of the year and see that my info shows that I am an AWS forum moderator, unless I'm on vacation in a spot where there is no internet service. I can't speak for AWS except that I volunteered to monitor the boards on my own time, so yes, in one respect these boards do get monitored fairly closely and often.

AWS has people who check in and read from time to time and may watch certain topics to see how the dialog is going. I have no idea how many or how often, unless they chime in and take part in these discussions. I am aware that the editors and whatnot from the Welding Journal and Inspection Trends magazines look in from time to time and take excerpts of the dialog to feature in their articles and writings in the magazines. Several of the members here serve on AWS committees and take an active part in developing many of the specifications that we in the welding industry work to everyday.
long story, short...yes the boards here are monitored.

edit: I forgot to mention, the information in the user's ID, is filled in by the user only....I personally have no access to anything in the user's ID account.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-12-2010 19:35
The only thing verging on problamatic I've seen on this forum (posting since 2000) have been a few questions about advanced armor plating...... Those folks were politely directed to information that was unclassified and nothing more.

I think we have a slight language problem in this particular thread..

However I "think"  the original poster is trying to invent some kind of new process/technique.. 

But I have no problem pointing people toward info that is published in the welding journal.../

Heck if American manufacturers were smart enough to read and apply what is freely given in the "Welding Journal" and other AWS publications, uncounted thousands of American jobs would not have been shipped overseas.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-12-2010 20:10 Edited 10-12-2010 20:13
Lawrence,
I wish to quote so there is no misunderstanding
"However I "think"  the original poster is trying to invent some kind of new process/technique."
Yes, they are most likely for military or nuclear purposes, at least IMHO, and has Government backing. Restricted materials and all.
"But I have no problem pointing people toward info that is published in the welding journal."
I agree, I want to share knowledge then we all learn and advance. To quote me "We are all just one race, the Human Race."

"Heck if American manufacturers were smart enough to read and apply what is freely given in the "Welding Journal" and other AWS publications, uncounted thousands of American jobs would not have been shipped overseas."
Well if I help out someone local like a farmer, that can NOT be shipped overseas. And also my knowledge and experience can only be passed on by me to who I deem fit. I share with who I want and when I want.
Lawrence, I have a great deal of respect for you and your knowledge, hopefully in the future we can both learn more from discussions on welding and metallurgy.
Thank you for your time and consideration
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-13-2010 03:41
Thanks for the nice words Kent!

Right on about sharing with who you want.

About the original poster..  Maybe he is trying to come up with some sort of military or nuke application...  If he is, it is either science fiction level cutting edge or just plain silly...   Powder coatings of aluminum are currently being done with great precision with a number of processes.. Some of which won't even effect heat treatment of aluminum alloys less than 0.030...  The heat input of some GTAW powder application would be like a caveman with a club compared to basic technology that has been coating aerospace, motorcycle and hotrod aluminum for over a decade.. (plasma/flamespray/HVOF etc.)   I thought the guy said he was a student, maybe I should reread the post..  I just get the feeling it's a crazy pipe dream, trying to get high tech results with a $1500 GTAW power supply.

Very best to you Kent,

Lar
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-13-2010 11:09
Lar

I agree that this sounds rather silly and primitive, but in Iran they do not let just anyone play with restricted and complex materials. They only let high level people have access to them.
And for kicks check out another post TIG cladding of steel and one of the posters is madibaa whose profile says he is a technical inspector in Iran.
This just seems rather funny to me. This is not quite as simple as 2+2=4, but These guys really want to know about TIG cladding for strength and abrasion.
Maybe Henry, yourself and a couple others who are much more knowledgeable about this than myself can kick this around and figure out what they are doing.
I will be glad to help out however I can.
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-13-2010 12:49
Weemarkable!!!:) :) :)

Okay Kcd616 - err "Kent! ;) ;) ;)"

Now, tell me something I don't know. ;)
Parent - - By m.rostami (*) Date 10-12-2010 10:38
hi dear,mr.kent,
you all right,we are in restriction,but i had to find out and working on the available powders in my country.
but we are not very poor that you might.Iran is the source of various minerals.there is very kind of common powders and substrate for this purpose...
so i continued my work...
thank you for your response.
Sincerely.
mehdi.rostami
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-12-2010 13:24
Mehdi,
I know your country has many minerals and is not poor.
Every countries National Security Agency is monitoring these boards.
I think we should all share information, and it helps everyone, because we are all just one race, the Human Race. ~gets off soap box~
In closing everyone at all the security agencies, I say hello. ( A special hello to all the people at Mossad. Hi boys and girls.)
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-12-2010 15:47
Hi Kent as far as National Security Agencies monitoring these threads....nearly everything on the Internet is being monitored somewhere, by someone. Anything that gets posted here can be monitored or found through any search engine like Google,...so in short if you don't want the world to know something, then simply don't say it on the Internet....LOL
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / cladding of Al alloy with TIG welding