Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Max Gouge
- - By Rocket_Man Date 10-12-2010 21:16
Anyone know what the Maximum size gouge allowed on the side of a 1 1/2" baseplate? D1.1
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-13-2010 03:48
What exactly are we talkin about here Rocket?

Carbon arc gouge prior to backweld?

Forklift banged into plate and left a gouge"?

Grinder dropped while running?

Production weld?

Throw us a bone man.... More data!    :)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-13-2010 03:59
Lawrence,

You forgot the possibility of a torch gouge while cutting a base plate to size.

Many possibilities with a couple of options I believe from D1.1.  Depends upon rather it was a manufacturing flaw or fabrication flaw.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-13-2010 10:51
Speaking of gouge marks or notches created by cutting.....D1.1 allows 3/16" deep gouges before you have to repair by either filling with weld material or grinding so not to have sharp entraces at the gouge mark. Governing clauses are 5.15.4.3(roughness) and 5.15.4.4(gouge or notch limitations)...I believe the code was written knowing that cutting torches can have a hiccup at any moment while cutting realitively thick sections of plate...ie base plates for columns
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-14-2010 14:57
You are correct John other than I would add the following:

Clause 5.15.1, 5.15.1.2, with Table 5.4 would indicate that if it is a mill induced Discontinuity there are other variables depending upon the length and depth of the Discontinuity.  Some as small as 1/8" in depth.

Those variable were why I was curious as to the nature/origin of the "gouge".

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Max Gouge