Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Prheat plate before certification test
- - By weldstudent (**) Date 10-13-2010 18:36
I am going to be doing a 3G and a 4G plate test on A36 1" plate. I asked the instructor if I could preheat the steel before I put in the root pass. I wanted to bring the base metal temperature to around 150 - 200 Deg. F. He told me no. Said if I do a job test I most likely won't be allowed to preheat. No big deal. I was currious if the preheat is allowed or not. I am testing under WABO standard 27-13. There is nothing in the standard that says I can't preheat before a root pass. The temperiture of the plate will be equal to the ambiant temperature, about 65-70 Deg. F. I know there is not a need to preheat the steel because it is above 50 Deg. F. which is the minimum preheat set by the WPS. The WPS says preheat is not required, but does not prohibit preheat. I understand that because the test proctor said no that I cant preheat. So besides being told no, I want to know if there is a reasion, legal or otherwise, i could not preheat. 

Thanks for the help,
Levi
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-13-2010 19:10
Hello Levi, there are code provisions for pre-heating of materials 1" and over in thickness in many production scenarios and under various codes. Likely, in the scenario you have spoken of here the instructor/WABO examiner has it up to his/her discression to elect to allow or disallow for pre-heating for the WABO test. I do plenty of WABO testing at our facility and if I were asked to be allowed to pre-heat I wouldn't have a problem with it, but, that's just my personal view and it's also not discussed specifically in the WABO 27-13 document, thus I believe it becomes discressionary. Hope this helps in your understanding a bit. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Skaggydog (**) Date 10-13-2010 19:25
Well..., If, you were welding in my shop and decided to waste time and gas preheating something that did not need it...'nuff said.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-13-2010 20:40
Levi,
According to D1.1 Table 3.2, for A36 1" thick plate, the preheat is 50°F (if welded with a low hydrogen process), so unless you were outside where the temp was below 50°F, you mostlikey didn't need any preheat...preheat won't hurt anything unless you go to some extreme, but if it isn't required, it would be just adding cost to the project.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 10-14-2010 03:50
200 degrees sure helps drive off hydrogen. Increases charpy impact toughness. Just a thought.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-14-2010 04:49
I'm not as experienced as these guys but from a business owners point of view I have to agree that if it's not called out or required then it's just a waste of time and money. If I was paying you by the hour to weld 100 joints that did not need preheating and each joint takes 30 minutes to weld and you take an extra 15 minutes to preheat everyone, that's roughly 25 hours extra your gonna cost me in labor not to mention acet/oxy blowing out a rosebud big enough to heat. Why do you want to preheat it if you don't mind me asking? Knowing it's not required, I mean, me personally I've tested 1" before and didn't even think about asking if I could preheat it to 200 degrees so I'm just curious as to your reason.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-14-2010 10:30
Why would you want to preheat?
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 10-14-2010 13:18
Levi,

Don't preheat unless it's required by code.  You may end up in a fabrication shop where profit margins are based on whether the shop beats the estimated man hours for a project.  Among many other things, unnecessary preheating adds more time to the job.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 10-15-2010 16:53
This might be a little late but I'll chime in anyway.
If it were me I would not let you preheat eiher.  If you have to run preheat on a test plate to make it pass, then that tells me that you will need to preheat every weld you make in production.  Because if you don't then I can't count on your weld being sound.  We can't afford to let you do that.

You may be looking at the weld test as being important to your future earning potential - so naturally you want to use any trick you can to assure that you will pass.
I have to look at a weld test as a basic test, under controlled conditions, as a measure of your skills.  If you pass, you would be making welds that my company will sell to a customer, and those welds have to be right or it will cost the company - and every employee of the company - lost revenue and lost reputation.

Too many welders have to have that "extra tenth of a volt", or different gas, or different rod sizes, or whatever. Some will whine very loudly until they either get it or are made to shut up.   But the most successful welders that I know of can make good welds under almost any conditions.

Bottom line is that there are people who can do the job if you can't. 
That's not meant as an insult to you - that's life and that applies to you, me, and every other person in the world.

So instead of wondering about preheating a test plate, think about how other people have passed the test and how they did it.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-16-2010 00:53
"think about how other people have passed the test and how they did it"

Now that really gets to the point. I doubt it could be said any better.
- - By weldstudent (**) Date 10-14-2010 14:57
The reasion i was wanting to preheat was simlpy to aid in the wet-in and penetration on the root. I understand the need to preheat does not exist. The thought of preheating was only for the cert. test. I understand the waste of time, loss of profit, and production. My reasioning was simply thus: to take advantage of any allowable techniques to assist in the welding process. I do not need to preheat the steel to make a sound, code quality weld. I was just wondering if I wanted to, could I. I have worked my life so far in production style jobs so I completly understand the value of not wasting time. I show up for my calss on average of three to five hours early to get more arc time. I like most honest hard working individuals value the production time, and despise the unproductive.

The thought hit me, I asked, Was told no. I was just wondering if there was a reasion legal, or otherwise, that I could not preheat on my cert. test. 

Thanks
Levi
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-14-2010 16:41
You asked for reasons and you got many opinions... What were you expecting? One answer only???
You got the answers you need  for your query... No need to get upset about it unless I'm reading you incorrectly???

Btw, "WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM!!! :) :) :)" Levi. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 10-14-2010 18:31
I don't see where he's getting upset at all. Just posting a response to those that he received.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-14-2010 18:51
Well I guess we see and read stuff differently then because I do. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-14-2010 20:25
Henry,
You understated about this forum.
I have been on a few forums on the web, and quite a few job sites, more job sites than I care to say. (I would then look old.)
And I thought I was pretty sharp, so did other people they would ask my opinion and advice.
I got on here and as far as being a sharp knife in this drawer, I am not even a butter knife, I feel like a plastic spork.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By strother (***) Date 10-14-2010 22:12
I can understand weldstudents frustration . He asked a question about a certification test and got answers about production. There is a world of difference between certification and production.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-14-2010 20:17
Levi.

The simple reason is that it is their test. They wish to see if the applicate can pass the test they set up, to their standards.
Now the AWS, ASME, and API can have someone come on here and give very specific reasons why their welding test are done the way they are.
I do not even come close to speaking for them. But again it is their test and their certifications.
And if you really want to preheat on a welding test just have some patience and wait till August and go to Las Vegas tack your plates up and set them in the direct sun for 3 hours when it is 105+, They will preheat real good.
Hope this helps
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-15-2010 16:01
I was thinking that might be the reason("simlpy to aid in the wet-in and penetration on the root"). The inspector may have thought you needed to preheat to pass when asked that question. If I was testing you in my shop for a job, I'd wonder why as well, raises some doubt in your abilities.....not saying you can't, don't get all fired up but you see the point I'm trying to make? When I weld them out with no preheat, why does this guy want to preheat when it's not needed. See what I mean? When you go to test, I, the inspector or whoever don't know you from adam, so it makes a persons mind spiral when that is asked into things like, "is this guy gonna want to preheat everything?". When you asked and he said no, I suppose he would have been the best person to ask. But then again, questioning the inspector's probably not a good idea! LoL!! Unless you were extremely tactful about how you asked it to where it didn't sound like you were questioning his authority or whatever but just being curious. I think I talked to one guy that said that you were allowed so many degrees tilt on your 3g, not making it a true straight up weld. They would lean it back because you were allowed so many degrees, which means it's legal can be done no questions asked. I set mine all straight up, figured I can't go out and tilt a building when I get out on a job so I better learn to do it the right way.

I guess some don't want to see "allowable techniques to assist" because they want to see you weld it out like it's laid out to see if you can actually do it. I've been around a bunch of students and have them ask questions about ways they can use "techniques to assist" and have told them like I was told/taught, learn it the right way first, then the tricks of the trade will come to you when you get the piece of paper and get out in the field. I think one trick was walking the cup in tig. Some don't want you to do it to see if you can weld it without the "technique", see what I mean? This is what I learned from welders who have been doing it for over 40 years, another at 35 years and another at about 20 years. Basically it was don't cheat yourself while your learning. Sounds like your putting in the effort though, getting there early to class. I've seen guys waste day after day sitting in the classroom talking, outside smoking and joking and not burn 1 rod all day long. Good luck and keep at it Levi.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-16-2010 11:40
It would be my opinion that considering the central part of a GTAW arc plasma is upwards of 10,000 deg, and that the puddle is, I don't know, maybe 2500 deg, If a 200deg preheat makes a difference I doubt you could even notice.
- - By weldstudent (**) Date 10-15-2010 17:56
Well thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to my question. I was not angered, irritated, or offended by any one. I also was not being sneaky by asking the question. When I asked if I could preheat, simply as a tool to aid in root penetration and wash in, I was told no. I was also told by my instructor that he was unsure if there were any restrictions on preheating the plate. Because we did not know a definite answer to the question i decided to ask, so i posted the question. As stated I don’t need to preheat to make a sound weld. Just looking at a possible technique to help me. Same idea as using 30CFH on my 3G and 45CFH on my 4G, using C25 E71t-1 .045. Extra gas helps overhead.

Thanks again,
Levi
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-15-2010 20:28
The preheat requirements listed by the codes are minimum preheat requirements. There is nothing in the code that prohibits the use of higher preheats than those listed unless you are working with one of the quenched and tempered steels that has maximum interpass restrictions.

As far as preheat driving out hydrogen or moisture, my response would be to wear a pair of rubber boots because the BS is getting too deep to be wearing sandals.

Maintaining a reasonable interpass temperature will aid the diffusion of hydrogen, but it does not prevent or minimize how much diffusible hydrogen enters the weld puddle via the electrode or surface contamination.

I have welded on plenty of jobs where the foreman or supervisor ragged my butt for preheating the joint when it was not required by the applicable code. What they failed to recognize was that condensation that collects overnight (when working in the field or some of the fab shops I have been in) can wick between the members that form lap joints for example. The purpose of the preheat was to evaporate the surface condensation. Rather than arguing the point with them, I would simply ask them to witness what happens when I started the next joint. Like magic, the weld would perform as if on cue, the weld would look like shotgun pellets had hit it. Porosity everywhere. Their usual response was, "Do it right." and then they would walk away without further interference.

In your situation, it is highly improbable surface moisture would be an issue. As a matter of course, simply cleaning up the groove face and surfaces of the test plates, followed by tacking the members together would be sufficient to introduce some preheat into the plates to ensure there is no surface moisture present. As such, additional preheating is not necessary unless you were using a non-low hydrogen type electrode such as E6010, E6011, or E7010 for example.

Good luck, you seem to have your act together.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-15-2010 22:54
Good response Al! Thank you for educating me further! When I was on the gas pipe I'd go out and the pipe would be wet with condensation. I'd roll out the torch and warm it a bit to dry it out, why? I just knew I didn't want it there. Was over 40 degrees outside so no preheat required, but knew I didn't want the moisture there....for some reason. Thanks, now I know the reasoning!

Shawn
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-16-2010 00:53 Edited 10-16-2010 00:59
I guess you could always qualify a procedure for underwater welding so you could eliminate the need to dry the surfaces to be welded! :)

I like your philosophy of learning the correct way and then the "tricks of the trade" once entering the profession.

As for Figures 4.1 and 4.2, those are intended to determine the test position required to qualify the procedure for the position of the production weld. They are not intended to be used as variances for the test positions themselves. Example; it is a mistake to tilt the test plates to 15 degrees and to rotate it to 150 degrees and state that the test was taken in the flat position.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Prheat plate before certification test