Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Electronic Documents
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 10-17-2010 00:35
I need some blank electronic copies of D1.3 welder qualification and PR and PS. I have a nice job coming up and my D1.1--D1.5 software won't allow me to insert D1.3 or any other information that is not already included. If you can share I will be very thankful.

Dennis
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-17-2010 22:09
That is why they include word processors in most software packages that come with your computer. They thought ahead and figured someone would want to modify the standard welder performance test record. They had you in mind, now get off your sorry butt and start typing. ;)

All kidding aside, it isn't that difficult to develop your own documentation that is better suited to your situation than the canned ones you purchase.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 10-17-2010 23:10
I don't have a problem with the typing. I have a problem with making up forms that I can fill in the blanks. I'm a welder fabricator and a QC QA CWI. I'm 64 and still work full time and do side jobs at home on my computer.  I can out work most guys half my age. I'm not a secretary and Microsoft Word is not my friend. I just asked for a little help not a lecture.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-18-2010 07:17
No need to get upset if someone is just having a little fun with you... ;) Especially if it's Al who bends over backwards to help everyone out in here. ;)

Here's a tip that will save you some time and the amount of typing necessary to make your own forms...

Take the standard forms from your hard copy and scan it, then use the OCR software that came with the scanner in order to transfer what you scanned into a workable MSN Word .doc.

In case you don't know what "OCR" means here's a relatively simple explanation:

"Optical character recognition (OCR) is a system of converting scanned printed/handwritten image files into its machine readable text format. OCR software works by analyzing a document and comparing it with fonts stored in its database and/or by noting features typical to characters. Some OCR software also puts it through a spell checker to “guess” unrecognized words. 100% accuracy is difficult to achieve, but close approximation is what most software strive for."

In fact, here's a link to a website which explains the process in depth and even suggests 5 different free versions of this OCR software and how they work.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-5-free-ocr-software-tools-to-convert-your-images-into-text-nb/

If you don't have any OCR software loaded into your computer, you can easily download it from www.cnet.com or use any of the ones listed in the link above.

Who says you need a secretary, or need to be so cozy with MSN Word in order to stay current with what we all must accept from time and again... 
PROGRESS!!! What a double edged sword it can be sometimes. ;)

Finally, I'm no formally "edumacated" computer whiz, but I learned what I know today by not being afraid to ask as many questions to anyone who knew more than I did at that time so keep asking questions because who knows, you may just be answering one of my questions one day. ;)

BTW, We don't lecture in here... We share knowledge and experience with anyone who seeks it as long as there are no hidden agendas attached or ungrateful or demanding attitudes expressed.

Hope this helps! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 10-18-2010 11:41
Thanks for your response. I have used the forum on many occasions for many years. The answers have been to the point and very helpful. I have used OCR before,years ago, and usually its a garbled mess scattered all over the page. What I want to do is make a template to fill in on my computer. This is done in MS Word or Excel. It's not just typing so that it looks like the form there are form fields or text boxes. It is filling in the blanks like you do when you register on line.  I did one 10 years ago and it took several days to get it right. I can do it again. 

Thanks Dennis
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-18-2010 15:50
Hi Dennis,

The OCR software that is current is way better IMHO, compared to what was available some ten years ago as was the word processing software also...

You will find it much more user friendly than what was available "back in the stone age of software." Give it another look and see for yourself.
I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at the very least. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-18-2010 16:01
I've used "Omniform" and that works pretty well to scan in forms and make the fields clickable to enter data, and preserve the original to be used over and over. I usually save these documents as a pdf file so they can be protected from future editing by someone else other than me.

http://www.scansoft.com/omniform/
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-18-2010 18:35
It's a ***** when you get old and loose your sense of humor. It is even worst when you not old and loose your sense of humor.

I've never tried one of those new fangled form builder programs. Maybe I will while I'm still young enough to learn something new. Fat, gray and balding doesn't make you old, does it?

Best regards - Al ;)
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 10-19-2010 12:51
I still have my sense of humor, I just wasn't ready for your answer on a serious subject. I am building a new form in MS Word just to prove I don't always have a lazy butt.

Thanks Dennis
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 10-19-2010 13:16
Dennis,
I will second what Henry has stated, Al goes out of his way to help many on here.
I did not feel he was lecturing you, purely a bit of light hearted ribbing.
Take that out of our lives and we would be a pretty boring old bunch of "old farts"
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 10-19-2010 19:31
Thank you "Down Under"
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-19-2010 19:00
That's the spirit Dennis!

I apologize if I caught you off guard.

I rarely if ever use the "sample" forms included in the different welding standards. While they may record the minimum information requires, i.e., essential variables, there is usually additional information I like to see. For one thing, I like to see a photograph of the welder included on the test record. It is easier to verify the welder that passed the test is the one actually doing the welding.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 10-19-2010 19:32
I just needed it in a hurry. Now it can wait.

Thanks Dennis
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Electronic Documents