Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Leather Armpads...new source
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-21-2010 13:25 Edited 10-22-2010 11:24
Just wanted to touch on this. I've contacted, 3-4 people, two in Nashville and 1 someplace else. All leather folks, all apparently to busy to take a guys money, your on the phone, stating that you are willing to buy right now and no big hurry on when it needs to be done....no returned phone calls?? Anyhow, we live near Amish country and while driving past one day I saw a sign, "Leather, Tack, Saddles" and so on. I wandered back into the sticks til I ran across their home. Young couple, apparently just starting out with his leather business. Described what I was wanting and he made me a simple armband with straps. When I picked it up I had a picture of one and showed him. After a couple of weeks, did a test fit and we had to cut off some as it was to long. Yesterday picked it up and think it is gonna work out just great. Told him I've been thinking about making a pattern for him and bringing that and he said that would be good, just hard to size it from a picture! Gonna work on that later when I have time and design something neat and get it set just how I want it.

So, my point you are saying. If you are anywhere near an Amish tack, leather goods guy stop in and have a chat. I used the first one he made on the gas pipe and it worked great, no more burns on my forearm! But I did discover why you want them to wrap all the way around your forearm. Lesson learned in band #2. I'll post pics when I get back from picking up my stair/handrail thing I've been working on from the powder coater, not super fancy things, but very effective and cannot beat the price.

The first is our second attempt, think this one is gonna work good. I believe I'm gonna have him move the straps around. The second picture with the one on the right is the first, real basic, good at catching ol' sparky but it worked well for not burning my forearm.
Parent - By stanantonio Date 10-21-2010 14:24
Please do I've been in search of a new one for awhile. Any body know were else one might find one
Parent - - By richgar06 (**) Date 10-21-2010 16:25
Did you try to get a hold of cody hixon he does awesome work
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 10-21-2010 23:31
Check out plwelder.com Ms. Jean has some good one that I use they last awhile and only bout 45$
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-22-2010 11:02
Not sure who Cody Hixon is but if he is the guy that fordsux put up he don't return phone calls, at least he didn't when I called and left a message saying I had money and was ready to buy but wanted something simple. That's how it was with several other leather guys, never returned calls. With the tack and leather fella, don't have to worry about that, no phone but when I go there in a week or two to pick it up it's ready.
Parent - By richgar06 (**) Date 10-22-2010 15:22
look him up he does all kinds of bad a$$ work he does guitar wraps for shooter jennings and jamey johnson and all kinds of other stuff he's wrapping my dads guitar right now hes out of nashville greatpointcustomleather.com is the address i think
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 10-22-2010 00:42
My Dad used to have a harness shop . He bought leather and hardware from the Amish in Ohio. He used to go visit with an Amish family every summer. I went with him one year , those some are of the nicest people I ever met and despite their "simple" appearance they are very good bussiness men. I know that doesn't have anything to do with armpads , just got me to thinking about my experience with the Amish
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 10-22-2010 03:13
A friend of mine cuts the top off an old pair of cowboy boots to pull on over his arm. Don't laugh. Works pretty good. The scalloped part fits where your elbow bends and keeps from binding your arm, and the leather is usually double layered to keep out the heat.
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 10-22-2010 04:24
Yep that works good too!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-22-2010 11:07
Your right there. The cedar chest guy we stopped and talked to he was a bit more, trying to think of the word....you could laugh and he would smile or laugh, this came about when I was telling him I was not so good with woodmaking. But the leather guy is a bit more serious, strictly business perhaps. I thought about whippin' out some german on them but not sure. I like getting down there and chatting with them, heck one guy said my steel table I was making was really nice. Felt like a good compliment from some traditional craftsman.
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 10-22-2010 18:10 Edited 10-22-2010 18:12
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-23-2010 00:54
Shawn, They probably speak a dialect of Low German [We call it Pa. Dutch here]. It is not the High German like You would learn in school, and it varries with the region here and in Germany/Switzerland/ etc. where they came from. The language dates from about 1700 give or take 30 years, and any word that didn't exhist then will be substituted with an English word. It is a bit different, I don't speak it.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-23-2010 07:25
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-23-2010 10:13
Your right there, awesome looking leather work. Looks like out towards Knoxville.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-23-2010 10:12
I told my wife I was trying to listen to them as they talked but they were building a barn so the saw was running, lots of clinkin and bangin but I heard him say "Ich" at one point and I knew that. I like going there and talking with them.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-24-2010 00:14
My Dad knew a Pa. Dutch phrase to describe small gnats, the literal translation was "dog pecker flies". My Dad was not much for humor, but He found that funny.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 10-24-2010 02:44
Must be something with Dads. Mine calls knats dog pecker flies too, but not in Pa. Dutch. :-D
Parent - By stanantonio Date 10-24-2010 03:25
Thinking I may be needing to get in the leather business.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Leather Armpads...new source