Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / IM NEW TO THE TRADE.....NEED SOME ADVISE
- - By morgaweld Date 10-24-2010 16:10
Im 23yrs old, ive been welding for a few years now for several companies, finally saved up enough to build my own rig to see if i can make some real $$$$. I need some pointers from the experienced guys out there, to start off in the right direction. Ill appreciate all the help i can get. THANX!!!
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 10-31-2010 15:36
You can find water cooled machines on Craigslist for cheep if you take your time and wait and watch..  I have seen the Vantage 300s go as low as $3500 with 1000hr on them... This one is a little high but its allot cheaper than buying one new..!!!

http://houston.craigslist.org/for/1957324505.html
- By Sberry (***) Date 10-24-2010 17:57
Read some of these books. Warfare, Positioning and the 22 laws to start with, easy to read. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_sq_top?ie=UTF8&keywords=jack%20trout&index=blended&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0071437940&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1MPJ2FHG8KP2VV1SAJJT  Strategy is good too.
- - By stanantonio Date 10-24-2010 22:12
Cant help but :)
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 10-24-2010 23:24
Good luck never give up it's the only way you'll make it!
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 10-25-2010 01:51
just think when you have enough saved... Better save some more.
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 10-25-2010 01:52
Yep words of wisdom u better remember
Parent - - By morgaweld Date 10-29-2010 04:55
I came across a "Lincoln ranger 8" with 650 hours, would you recommend this machine? I was thinking maybe for a back up or spare.....
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 10-29-2010 05:19
What is your primary machine?
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-29-2010 14:06
I've been running a ranger 8 for about 3 years now. Not the most respected if your gonna run with the big dogs down south or west on rig yards or pipeline. However, mine has done me well with over 1000 hours on it now. In fact done well enough to earn me enough to finally pick up an Sa. Local guys I talk to and work with around here pretty much have air cooled machines. Trailblazers, bobcats, Lincolns and one buddy runs some pretty big stuff off his trailblazer......all day long for weeks at a time. My ranger will become my backup or auxillary machine if I can land the equipment to run tig. If your just starting out, work hard, do good work and listen to these old guys on here you'll gain respect. Don't spend a ton of money up front hard times will come when your wondering if you can make your business insurance payment, truck or house note and having a pricey new money machine sitting there idle is gonna hurt.

The ranger won't do you wrong, run a mig welder off mine at times, a tank of argon and some aluminum wire and I'm out welding aluminum. Dry rig and some argon and I'm out tiggin' steel or stainless. Need bigger aluminum my mig won't run, rent a tig machine, plug it into the ranger and grab your gas and roll on. All and all very pleased with my ranger. Now, it depends on what your goal is as far as "what/where I want to be welding" but for just starting out with a limited budget in a market that has lots of welders and even more "weldors" out there to compete with dumping a ton of money in rig without LOTS of work lined up might do you more harm than good. And believe me, you gonna run across more people now that "know how to weld" than ever. There are different folks though, the type that say, " I can weld a little, but not anywhere near as good as you are" and the others are the ones that "know how to weld" and ask how you like those 7011 rods, "I used them all the time". Then you'll have your obvious real welders.

Don't know where your at or who you know but it's gonna take time to get your name out there. I got a bunch of welders around here I consider friends and talk to them to see where they are at, what they are doing. Sometimes they have something that they can't get to and send it my way or maybe they get a big job and need me to work single hand. I do the same for them, passed a big job off to a buddy with the hopes he could get it. Or maybe even there is a job big enough that they might bring me on with my rig. I'd do the same for them.

Your gonna need,

- insurance(millions) call an independent agent near you that deals with business insurance. This will cover your work and truck/tools
- workers comp? Here in Tennessee I'm not required to have it as I have no employees, next year they're changing that, even though it will not cover me if I get hurt. So you'll need to check into that.
- business cards obviously
- loads of patients, craftyness to figure out how your gonna pay your insurance payment when you've been sitting idle for a few weeks droppin' business cards, shakin' bushes to try and find work.
- LOADS of patients.....oh, did I say that already?

If you don't have the personality to be a small business owner it may beat you up. It's no sh_t up and down, slow,slow, slow then next thing you don't know how your gonna get everything done and it may be like that for several months, then once you get caught up on come the brake lights. Try and find a mainstay, a company you can do lots of work for or maybe not lots but someone you can build a relationship with. For example, I have a good friend now who is the son in law for a fence company owner. He found out I was welding back when we first met. He kept me real busy with gate repairs, fence repairs and all sorts of whooky stuff you would not think a fence company would do. I swear if not for him I would have been out long ago. I did good work, charged a fair rate and he would call me for the work. Gate installs, dumpster enclosure gates, bollards, handrail and we even did an indoor batting cage. I still do work for him and were looking at a job right now that's pretty good size. I'll end up making most of the money building what needs to be built but with quality work and a fair price the client will say, hey, that welder guy does good work, we'd like him to bid on job for us. Had that happen at the school with the boilers, main guy for the schools loved my work, asked for a card and said, "I don't need any references".

Well, gotta get to work on some stairs, good luck, get some tums, you'll need them!! Ranger 8, you'll here lots of die hards say no, if you got $20k laying around with nothing to do by all means go drop $10k on a vantage or a pipepro. If you don't have it to burn, start out small with something you can buy for cash. The more you buy for cash the less you have in bills, trust me when you start running three jobs at once you'll have money scattered all over the place and invoices in the mailbox everyday, one less bill is like heaven on earth!!

Hope my mindless ramblings help,

Shawn
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-30-2010 05:50
I'm not bashin the ranger 8 they just cant do it all like the bigger water cooled machines.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-29-2010 14:07
with a ranger 8 you wont be allowed thru the gate most all major outfits want water cooled machines
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 10-29-2010 23:50
I've always heard that about the pipeline jobs.I always used a Miller Big Blue on construction jobs,it's a hell of a welder.You can't beat those diesel ,water cooled machines for durability and performance.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-30-2010 05:15
pipeline and rig yards will laugh at a air cooled machine because you will run big rods and you will run them often and all day long that lil ranger cant take it get you a 200 or better ans start there im not saying go buy a new one just find one that runs and welds and go from there thats what i did i ran an old redface for 5 years til i couldnt keep oil in it and had 1 built then it started spewing oil and bought another get my point just keep going til the machine cant take it and get another but dont sell your runner til you get another one
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-30-2010 12:30
Like I said, it'll depend on what he has lined up for work, where he is and so forth. If he can jump on a pipeline or rig yard somewhere right off the bat then yes, water cooled but if he's starting out like I had to with dumpster enclosures, gates, structural stuff then liquid cooled not such a priority. We ran two bobcats, 10 hour days for 4 weeks in 100 plus degree weather on a 150 degree roof all day long running grinders and welding(hot I might add) and never had a lick of trouble from either. All the machines on the job with different companies were air cooled. Guys up in the ceiling running 6" sprinkler pipe, using all air cooled machines, run all day long. This was no small job either, biggest job I've been on so far.

I guess my point is it depends on your location. If your down around big pipe land, rig yards etc and that is your goal then a liquid cooled is where you'll want to be. But not having experience in rig yards, the right of way your not gonna jump right on. Two guys I know, one has a big 600 amp machine, trailblazer air cooled and other air cooled. Runs 1/16th wire on the trailblazer all day long. Other guy is hooked up with a large contractor that does work all over the place. He runs a bobcat 225 and does structural, runs a suitcase welder off of it, plasma, again...all day long.

As I said, gonna have to look at what type of work your gonna be doing when you start out, what your goal is, i.e pipeline, rig yards, then there is the money factor. What can you afford now? If you can afford a sa200 but you have a mig you want to run for other jobs and its not a suitcase but a plug in type, then sa200 ain't worth a hoot. Unless of course you have $3000 to buy a suitcase, then your wire choices are limited because it is a constant current machine, not constant voltage...at least that is what I have learned. Variable speed tools, battery operated tools/chargers, from what I've learned the sa200 with inverter not so friendly. I do a mix of work where I need these types of tools and don't want to fry anything. All things you need to consider. The other thing, the more capable you are the more work you can do. I've installed boiler pipe, gas pipe, do handrail and stairs, structural, repairs on equipment and on and on.

Ultimately you'll have to weigh your options then determine if the ranger is best for you right now or if you can afford more. It is a quite capable machine, I have run 5/32 6010 on mine, all day. I have run 5/32 7024 as well. When I run the big rod I say I'm stretching her legs, give her a little bit of a workout.

Shawn
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-05-2010 06:55
I'll repeat 1 of my prior post  By raftergwelding  Date 10-29-2010 23:50 I'm not bashin the ranger 8 they just cant do it all like the bigger water cooled machines. I guess you missed it
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-06-2010 14:40
I hear ya Shad. I guess I was just saying that not everybody needs/uses a big water cooled machine and if your starting out without a client base wondering where your next check is coming from a ranger 8 or air cooled would not be a bad choice, unless of course you had people in the know that could get you straight on a pipeline or rig work. I didn't think you were bashing them either and if you were that's alright, Obama has not taken away all of our freedoms yet. I just wanted to point out that there is lots of work out there where you don't need a big water cooled and that it would do a person good to see what is going on with their local shops/area. Also to figure out their welding path, answering the question, "what am I gonna do, what will I need".
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 11-06-2010 17:50
mines not water cooled its a classic II lincoln pipeliner and it has 10778 hrs on it that little duetz is a workhorse
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-07-2010 12:52
Those Deutz air cooled are some awesome engines. When I worked with United Rentals we had tons of those. Just about indestructable and other than oil changes, filters rarely did anything to them except the occasional moron contractor who had equally moronic employees that always wanted to put gasoline in the DIESEL engine then complain about how this "piece of junk ain't running right"....well I wonder why??? I'd drain the tank, fill with diesel and overdose with some stanadyne lubricity additive and the son of a gun would fire right up, clear out and not miss a lick.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 10-31-2010 05:00
Yea man,if you are going to base your whole livelyhood on what you weld everyday,it's best to get the best.Lincoln should probably hire Cactus as a salesman for the Vantage.
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 11-01-2010 00:43 Edited 11-01-2010 21:11
Don't forget about buying used from a reputable business like Bill's welder repair or Stumpf's. If they are not good they will stand behind what they sell and you can get a great used machine for the price of a new air-cooled machine. I bought a Classic II from Stumpf's with 2200 hrs. All painted nice,new brushed, belts,filters, etc. The rear main seal started to leak after 20 hrs or so and they offered to fix it free if I shipped it back to them or they would send me the part and PAY HALF of the bill to put it in. You can't ask for much more than that. I paid $4500. They are great in my book!
- By Sberry (***) Date 10-29-2010 23:05
I might even be tempted to start out small, Miller Maxstar, do stuff where you can get to power, a common pickup, set of torches, etc. I wish they had these little inverters when I was a sprout.
- By morgaweld Date 11-01-2010 00:48 Edited 11-01-2010 00:54
Thanks 4 all the advise guys!! It's really helped me get a REAL look at whats out there. Im out here in west texas, Im starting out doing corrals, horse stalls and chutes at ranches, And well ill build anything they ask for. theres a lot of ranches out here. I was thinking of getting a big truck and welder, but i realized i don really needed it. I got a ranger 305g, with 100 hours from a friend of  mine for $3500. i came across this ranger 8 for $600! and got it also. it might come in handy. I eventually want to get out to the pipelines, Dont know how to make the change or get started with that. Im not in a rush to go into the lines but id like to start knowing what i have do to reach my goal. Thanks Again! I really appreciate all the advice!!

Morga
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / IM NEW TO THE TRADE.....NEED SOME ADVISE