Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / ag-cu filler to weld al to rebar?
- - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-24-2010 18:36
Is it possible to weld aluminum to rebar?
And is silver bronze filler the best?
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-25-2010 01:02
Maybe I can learn something new here, but the only way I know of to weld aluminum to steel is to use a solid state welding process.
Parent - By Eutectic (**) Date 10-25-2010 13:11
I once saw a video clip of the Fronius process CMT, (Cold metal Transfer) which is a pulsed GMAW process with wire speed manipulation, They claimed to weld Aluminium to steel.
the problem with a fusion process is brittle intermetalics that will form in the weldmetal. so basically the properties of glass if you can get it to stick. So to answer I would say that to joint these two metals is usually as Dave said through a solid state process, mechanical joining i.e. nuts bolts rivets etc, or a solder/brazing, which is as we know basically a metal glue. If all else fails you can always consider duct tape
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-25-2010 15:52
The key word used in the question was 'WELD'.  To which my answer would be 'NO'. 

Having said that, you could probably make it bond or fasten it several ways already mentioned.  Just as when you use copper or aluminum to back up a weld on steel and then can't get them apart because the weld pool heated and bonded hard and fast.  Is it welded?  Not to my way of thinking.  BUT, they can be so difficult as to demand an air arc and wasting one part or the other. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 10-26-2010 03:19
You can get an explosion welded transition piece and make a steel-steel weld on one side and an Al-Al weld on the other side
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-28-2010 04:11
A major consideration is whether the aluminum will be embedded in the concrete, if it is, you may want to reconsider the choice of using aluminum, whether it is bolted, welded, or glued.

Concrete is an alkyd, which doesn't play well with aluminum.

Sodium hydroxide, also an alkyd, is used to deoxidize the surfaces of aluminum prior to welding. The problem is that if the aluminum is let in the sodium hydroxide too long, there is nothing to retrieve or to weld.

Best regards -Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / ag-cu filler to weld al to rebar?