Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Bainite Steel
- - By lknerr55 Date 10-26-2010 11:47
I’m welding inspector and former CWI. We have a company that is considering using bainite material in place of armor plate. My question to you is there anyone in the welding industry that has welded the bainite material with GMAW process? If so I would really like to know if they preheated it before welding, what filler metal and gas did they use and was it post weld heat treated?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-26-2010 19:41
First off, "WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM!!! :) :) :)" lknerr55!

Now that I've got that out of the way... Do you have a specific type of bainitic material you're referring to??? There are quite a few different types out there, so being more specific would be much more helpful for us to help you... Do you happen to have a UNS number or specific grade number for this bainitic material? Having this would make it easier for us to assist you here. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By lknerr55 Date 11-03-2010 16:59
Right at this time I do not have all the details. Yes I know it would depend upon the steel that had a bainite micro structure, 4130 would be treated differently than A-36. I'll let you know when I have all the details. However this may not happen until after the first of the year or early spring 2001. I'm also in contact wth a professer at Ohio State about this issue.
Thanks for the welcome
Respectfully
Larry
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 11-03-2010 19:15
This question is odd.
There really isn't anything I would call bainite steel that I know of, though the language seems to imply this from time to time(I use it myself), and it is a convenient catagorization. There are steels that typically result in a bainitic structure by intent, and sometimes not. But even these steels if you slow down the cooling will go to ferrite and in many cases if you speed up the cooling will go to martensite.
The common versions are the Grade 11, Grade 22 type Cr Mo's, and many of the HSLA's, but there are literally thousands.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Bainite Steel