Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WELDING PROCESS
- - By z5gxray (*) Date 09-18-2002 14:07
I WORK FOR COMPANY THAT USES MOSTLY 11GA. SQ. AND REC TUBE. WE ARE CURRENTLY USING ESAB E70-S3 WIRE AND 82% argon-18% CO2 IN A SHORT ARC PROCCESS. WE ARE LOOKING FOR A BETTER WELD APPERANCE, LESS SPATTER AND MORE PRODUCTIVITY. I HAVE RECOMMENDED THE USE OF LINCOLN SUPER ARC L-56. 85% ARGON 15%
OR 95% ARGON 5% O2. I AM LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 09-18-2002 14:37
Try www.weldreality.com
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 09-18-2002 17:33
I own a weld shop that fabricates over 100,000 feet of tube like this every year. I also have a division that does high pressure pipe, structural steel and rigging. In the shop we use ER70-S6 and 75/25 gas. I have found that without exception we can eliminate spatter and maintain high quality welds by simply monitoring the parameters of the procedures and educating our people. My experience is that the amount of spatter you have is directly related to the talent of the person doing the welding. We have over the years changed wire and gas suppliers, and the welder who made quality welds with the previous supplies did just as well with the new. The guys who had problems, still had them. I apologize if I sound a little sarcastic or harsh here, but too many times I have gone out into the shop and made a decent weld just to prove it is not the machine, the wire or the gas (it seems it is always improper voltage, wire speed or poor preparation). I admit that some brands may be more tolerant of poor welder technique than others, but I have never found a wire or gas that could make a good welder out of a bad one.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By jfolk (**) Date 09-18-2002 17:35
Amen, Mike
Parent - By BP Maas (**) Date 09-18-2002 18:22
Well said Mike, the only thing I would add for the orginal question is, on carbon steel the Argon/CO2 mixtures will always perform as well or better than the Argon/Oxygen mixes; doesn't matter if your in short-arc, spray, or pulsed GMAW mode.

Regards, Brad Maas
Parent - By RBeldyk (**) Date 09-18-2002 18:28
I wholeheartedly, agree with Mike, no wire or gas can make a good welder out of a bad one. The welder's technique has a lot to do with appearance.

In our shop we use about 7 1/2 tons of 0.045" ER70-S-6 w/ 80/20 gas every year.

In addition, give ESAB a call. Talk to Jerry Matthison Sales-Application Engineer at (717)933-7070 phone mail 83323, (his email is jmathison@esab.com ).
Parent - By z5gxray (*) Date 09-19-2002 20:06
MIKE,
I DID THE WIRE SWITCH AND WENT 85% ARGON 15% CO2. 5 OUT OF OUR 50 WELDERS DID NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT. JUST LIKE YOU SAID I HAD TO GO OUT ON THE FLOOR TO SHOW THEM IT COULD BE DONE. I GUESS THEIR GRIPE IS THAT THEY PRODUCE A LITTLE MORE.

THANK YOU,
D5GXRAY
Parent - By dee (***) Date 09-18-2002 23:15
I believe Mr Sherman made a good point, and I agree with Mr Roberts about the best resource for the advice you seek.

http://weldreality.com

The "opinions" bulletin board is an ideal place to have your questions answered. You will find it has been estblished to solve precisely those kinds of problems.

Regards
d
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WELDING PROCESS