Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / UVC Rays
- - By tyler25 Date 09-18-2002 15:23
Does anyone know if arc welding omits UVC rays? Are UVC rays harmful?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-20-2002 19:20
Answer to both questions:
1. No, arc welding doesn't "omit", it "emits" UVC rays.
2. Yes, they're harmful to sight.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brasil
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 09-20-2002 22:28
GS
I am afraid I dont know what a UVC ray actually is.

I am under the impression it is light in a particular range within the UltraViolet spectrum, but I am aware of this being a rather wide range of wavelengths from "blacklight" through germicidal, to suntan lamp frequencies.

Can you (pardon the pun) illuminate?

Many thanks
d
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-21-2002 03:02
Shorter than 290 nano meters wavelength (I had to look it up). Used for germicidal effects. Don't know if welding produces uvc but if forced to bet would bet yes.

Bill
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 09-22-2002 21:12
Thanks Bill
I can look up the details and answers to other questions and about the mode of damage it causes the eye somewhere. I own a few books.

Do I correctly surmise there is an "a" and "b" range within the UV spectrum? I'm curious... Its enough to know to protect from it but I am merely curious and do not require any particular tailored help.
One of the things Uncle Sam trained me for was as a Medic and I am becoming almost alarmed at the amount of "stuff" I have forgotten over decades... this was, as I recall, briefly covered.

Thanks again,
d
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-23-2002 02:38
UVA is 320-400 nano meters (just shorter than visible)
UVB is 290-320
Bill
Parent - - By Kix474 (*) Date 11-02-2002 05:50
Arc welding light is harmful period who cares if it has UVC rays. LOL Just don't look at that pretty blue light. ;-) Never heard of UVC quit interesting though never new.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 11-11-2002 17:21
Arc welding emits UV and IR radiation, all part of the electromagnetic spectrum (EMR), just different frequencies. (Had to learn this for RT.)

The order of these from decreasing to increasing wavelengths are:
X and Gamma rays
UV
visible light
IR (heat)
Radar
short wave radio
long wave radio

Have you ever seen what a cell phone repeater can due to the side of a building with EMR? It will burn the substrate due to the intesity.

All can be hazardous, depends on intensity.
Hey, all that training was good for something!
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / UVC Rays